Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

I bought a 20 gallon long tank for a QT. I can purchase 2 new AC110's for $55 each (including tax), but I only want to do this if I know that 3 AC110's will be sufficient for all 3 fish in the 125 gallon tank. Do you think that it will be able to keep that tank clean? Then I can use the AC70 (that is with the one AC110) that I already have in the 45 gallon long for the QT.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three AC110 together should be plenty for the 125 gallon, since the total gph for that would 1500 gph at max. For my 100, I have 1 AC110, 2 AC70s, and 1 canister. That push out a combined total of about 1270gph.

You'll be fine with these choices :)

If it is indeed Columnaris, melafix will do nothing but cause the fish to have some issues breathing. You will need to add salt to help soothe their gills and a water antibiotic. I don't know what your stance is on antibiotics, but this is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I have only been able to save 1 fish from columnaris. I know many angel breeders that have used Copper sulfate, Acriflavine, Furan or Terramycin.

Also, I didn't read the first post but you want to keep the temp as low as possible. A higher temp accelerates the bacteria.

Ashlee, the fish are on Medi-Gold right now, and the Melafix is an optional addition. I think the 0.1% salt is a good idea.

I am also having Kayla swab the spot with just a wetted Q-tip and nothing since HP could eat away at the tissue right at the mouth.

Do you think we need to add a waterborne antibiotic?

Edited by dnalex

I do. Once it starts to overtake the fish, there isn't much hope in it recovering. It can be a fast killer. I myself used Furan on the second to last angel that had columnaris. I wish I had still had some for the last guy.

I don't want to lose my goldfish :(

Tonight (at 6 pm) I'm getting my two new AC110's. Can I go ahead and move Smokey over to the 20 long with the AC70 from the tank they are all in now. Then when I get my AC110's I can put one on the tank with Elmo and Sparky (with the other AC110 that is already in the tank).

How do I go about moving Smokey to the 20 gallon and in the process remove some of the bacteria on his nose without reintroducing it to the new QT. Once I have him in the small plastic container, if I swab him in there the bacteria will remain in that water and when I place him in the QT tank, that water will go with him. Will the bacteria come off in a large blob so I can see it and remove it from the water in the small plastic container before putting him in the QT tank? Will the bacteria maybe just stick to the swab when I clean the area?

Please let me know what I need to do regarding water antibiotics. I would like to try that in the quarantine if it may work. Can I still feed him the antibiotic food if I use water antibiotics.

What about Elmo and Sparky...should I continue their antibiotics for 10 to 14 days total?

Thanks.

Kayla

Hi Kayla.

First, take a deep breath. Don't panic! I believe that we've caught this early enough that we should be able to combat this without issue. It's a tough bug, which is why we had to treat everyone and treat with antibiotics right away. Medi-Gold is a very good candidate for this.

As for moving him to QT, that's a great plan. You don't have to swab him, since you are moving him to some place by himself. Keep feeding everyone the Medi-Gold for at least the 14 days. As for the waterborne meds, let me check with a reference, and I will get back to you later today.

I have set up the 20 long tank with the AC70 from the 45 gallon long tank (now Elmo and Sparky only have the AC110)...my problem is that I matched the temperature, put the "Buff it up" in to bring hardness up to 129, but the pH in the QT tank is only 7.4, while the main tank is 8.0. So Smokey will be moving from 8.0 to 7.4. Is this too much of a drop, and if so...how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Kayla

I have set up the 20 long tank with the AC70 from the 45 gallon long tank (now Elmo and Sparky only have the AC110)...my problem is that I matched the temperature, put the "Buff it up" in to bring hardness up to 129, but the pH in the QT tank is only 7.4, while the main tank is 8.0. So Smokey will be moving from 8.0 to 7.4. Is this too much of a drop, and if so...how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Kayla

This one's easy. When you move Smokey, take 9 gallons from the 45 and add it to 9 gallons of QT. This way, there will be a slight decrease in the pH, but the difference is well within acceptable range.

I did a 40% w/c in the main tank since the fish were looking slightly stressed (staying at the bottom and hiding) and I wanted to get some of the melafix out in case it was due to that. It may just be due to things being changed in the main tank (one filter being moved...new fish tank beside their tank...a lot of movement in their water). Should I put the melafix in Smokey's new tank (I'm going to move him over soon since I don't want the AC70 to not have any ammonia for the good bacteria). After the w/c in the main tank, the pH's are now closer...7.8 and 7.4....is that amount okay?

Thanks,

Kayla

Here is Smokey in his new tank....

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/Goldfish/IMG_3574.jpg

Here is Elmo and Sparky sitting in the corner and Smokey trying to find his way back to them :(

Here is Smokey in his new tank (video):

Do you think this is enough aeration? I still haven't added salt or melafix. Am I supposed to add both or just the Melafix?

Thanks,

Kayla

I think everything looks really good! Poor Elmo & Sparky! Their new friend will come back soon, and they'll have a huge new home :)

I would go with just salt & Medi-Gold for now. What I would like to do is to raise the salt back up to 0.3%. Let's start with 0.1%.

The idea is that the Medi-Gold will prevent and treat the systemic infection, while the salt will help with what's going on externally.

I can't get Smokey to eat in his new tank...he seems very skittish and won't even follow the pellets. I have been feeding him 7 pellets 5 or 6 times a day...and now I can't get him to eat any :( ....should I just leave the pellets in there for a while?

I ended up having to take the pellets out...they were disintegrating. He has no interest, but he loved them in the other tank. If I put a cardboard lid over the tank to stop him jumping out, will he still get enough air? I'm going to have to move him back in the other tank I think...he's not going to get better if he won't eat the antibiotic. I haven't put the salt in yet...I don't want to stress him out further.

Have you moved him back? I think what we will need to do is just leave them together and hope that between salt/antibiotics/water changes, it won't spread to the other two. It should not. I would have preferred to have him isolated and treated, but not if he won't eat. I hope he will eat when he is back with the others :)

I got him to eat 4 pieces...I guess I'll try leaving him there for a while and see if he gets less skittish...he just races around the tank....end to end. I can't find Morton's canning salt anywhere, I used to get it at Walmart but they said they won't have it again until the Spring. I guess I can run up to Petco and see if they have any aquarium salt.

Do you have Wal-Mart neighborhood? I know they have them there. In any case, this happened to me before. So now I am crazy about stocking salt. I always have about 8 extra boxes :rofl

If you can leave him QT, that would be much better :)

I moved him back to the main tank this morning...it is too stressful trying to get him to eat in there. I got 3 pellets in him the first feeding of the day (in the main tank). In the quarantine tank he was too active...he just kept racing...and then he started again this morning. If he gets worse I will move him out again...but for now they'll be the 3 musketeers...all for one and one for all. I got some aquarium salt from Petco so I will start that this morning at 0.1%. Hopefully by next feeding Smokey will have calmed down from the excitement and will actually want to eat more.

I'll update with a video later today.

So for now...I shouldn't add any waterborne antibiotic...is that right? (Just salt and Medi-gold).

Thanks,

Kayla

Yup. I checked my references, and that should work fine. However, if the white spot does not decrease after some time in 0.3% salt, we will need to reconsider things. For now, we are on plan :)

Here is today's video. I don't know if you can see it in this video, but on his right side (middle of his body) he either has 3 scales missing or the bacteria has moved to the side of his body. It looks greyish...I'm thinking it's the bacteria :(

I hope you can see it. Do you think the white spot on his nose looks bigger too? I'm going to put the tank at 0.2% salt at 8 pm this evening (it wasn't until 11 am that I got the salt up to 0.1%). Elmo looks quite chunky...I hope she's okay.

Let me know what you think about Smokey's side and his white spot on his nose.

Thanks,

Kayla