Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd day with 0.3% salt and Melafix: Everyone is doing okay...swimming and eating. I have seen both Elmo and Sparky poop regular goldfish poop. I have not seen Sparky poop yet. The white spot on Sparky looks whiter this morning. I think it looks raised. Should I just do a large water change tonight and start the Medi-gold and prazi tonight? If it's not columnaris, do you have any thoughts on what else it could be?

Here is this mornings video:

Thanks for all your suggestions and input, they are much appreciated.

Kayla

Here are some pictures from today...if you can enlarge them they are pretty clear.

I might go visit the LFS today and take these pics with.

http://i1088.photobu...sh/IMG_3262.jpg

http://i1088.photobu...sh/IMG_3259.jpg

http://i1088.photobu...sh/IMG_3257.jpg

In this one it looks like there is another of the same thing by his front right fin : http://i1088.photobu...sh/IMG_3274.jpg

It is too difficult to see in real life since he moves so quickly.

That brown algae is hard to control. I clean off the brown algae when I do a w/c and it comes back so quickly. The tank gets no natural sunlight.

Edited by Kayla102968

I'll post some pics later, the white spot has gotten more raised up. The bottom part of it almost looks pinkish and then there is a perfect little ball on top that is very white. It's not as smooth as it was before, but I'm not sure I would call it cottony.

The LFS guy said that without doing a scrape or seeing the fish it is hard to say what it is. He guesses from the pic that it is a bacterial infection from an injury. I never saw it looking like a scrape though. He mentioned using Melafix and something called Pimafix. He also told me that my big rocks I have weren't the greatest since food can get trapped under them and form bacteria. I'm not too sure about his opinions though, since he said he had tested Prime and didn't like it, since it made the water tests show less ammonia than was actually present in the tank.

I was wondering if it might be a parasite as well??It's hard to tell on a fast fish ;) and your pics all be it big enough just a bit blurry...If so the salt should get to work on it pretty quick I think,Alex is on top of things here and is much more knowledgeable so I will leave it to him...But as far as your river rocks are concerned I think less is more :) and the reason is because food can get trapped in between them and its hard to vacuum well with them all in the way :( most who have them just have a few scattered here and there ;)

I do hope you get things worked out soon so they can get moved into the new big tank :) you must be so excited :)

Wishiing you and your Fish well :) And A Happy Holiday!!!!

Thanks Shelly...your posts always make me feel better :) Happy holidays to you as well!

Alex - Do you want me to get the salt and Melafix out of the tank (large w/c) before starting the antibiotics? Or do Medi-gold with the salt and melafix? Thanks again Alex for all your help :) . Maybe you can take a break from here for Christmas Day? *smiles*

Kayla

I'm just about ready to do the w/c but wanted to ask you a question first before I start Medi-gold. What if the white thing on his lip is a fungus or mouth rot...would medi-gold still help that? If not, is it possible to treat for fungus or mouth rot while on the Medi-gold? I'm just worried that I'll start the antibiotics and then have to keep it going for 14 days and then 2 days into it, start seeing really cottony stuff on his mouth and realizing it was something else. It does almost appear 'fluffier' or not so defined around it's edges....it is so hard to see in real life or video.

I have a new video from today.

Thanks.

Edited by Kayla102968

My pH of tap is at 7.4 today, and the ph of my tank is 8.3. I'll just do a 50% change tonight and then a 50% change tomorrow morning? Can I start medi-gold and prazi after the 50% change or do I need to wait until tomorrow now?

Thanks Alex.

You can start the Prazi anytime.

The thing you'll have to keep in mind is that when you start the Prazi, it's better to leave the water as if for 4 days before a WC. If you do a WC, just redose in Prazi, and at the end of the four days, do a big 80-90% WC to get all the Prazi out. Do another big WC the next day, and then dose in another round of Prazi.

Have you started the Medi-Gold?

Okay...I haven't started the Medi-gold yet, I'm still at 0.15% salt in the tank. Could I do another 50% change at 4 hours from now and then start the Medigold and prazipro...or am I better off to start the antibiotics and prazipro tomorrow morning after a w/c?

I'm also trying to imagine in my mind how I will make sure that everyone gets 6 pellets of food 3 times a day. They are so used to eating a lot more than that and I can imagine they will go crazy for the food when I put it in. Is there a good way to make sure that everyone gets enough and the same amount each feeding? My goldfish are really 'robust' so to speak...they are solid :) and they eat like sharks.

Thanks,

Kayla

You can start tonight or tomorrow...up to you.

As long as they are getting 2% of their body weight in body food, you'll be fine.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the pellets from Goldfish Connection are 2-3x bigger than other pellets.

Alex, I took another pic from right now and I can see a hairlike protrusion coming out of the white bar area. What used to be just that white pimple has now raised up like a column or antenna. When I look at google images it kinda looks like sacrolegnia (some fungus thing). Here is a pic of a goldfish that kinda has those same white leech looking things on it....

http://i1088.photobu...ldfish/fish.jpg ....here is the website it is from...

http://www.ehow.com/...s-goldfish.html

I'm worrying that if I start the antibiotics and then it starts really looking like fungus what do I do then? Can I still feed the antibiotic and do an antifungal treatment as well? I think maybe he got injured and then the fungus started growing on the injury.

I'm going to do another 50% w/c now. Sorry to be such a bother.

Kayla

Edited by Kayla102968

Kayla, it is my opinion that is is columnaris, which is often confused for a fungal infection.

Columnaris is very rapidly spreading, and that is why I went with the medicated food to begin with. I really wouldn't hesitate long, because once it eats away that upper mouth tissue, there isn't much that we can do after that. Of course there is a chance that it's a true fungal infection. However, I do not think so, because as I said before, true fungal infections in fish are very rare. Still, we have to deal with things on step at a time.

Good luck!

1st feeding of Medigold: Smokey: 8 Sparky: 5 Elmo: 14

In order to get a good 8 pellets into Smokey...feeding one pellet at a time...I got 5 into Sparky and 14 went to Elmo. I guess we know who the boss of the tank is. (Not including tail...Elmo is 5" , Smokey is 4", and Sparky is 2.5").

I stay at home during the day...so what is the best schedule....every 6 hours: (3 times a day), every 4 hours: (4 times a day), every 3 hours: (5 times a day)?

I also started the first dose of Prazi tonight and Elmo and Smokey are yawning again.

I sure hope that thing stops growing on Smokey :(

Thanks for all your help.

Kayla

I think the numbers for tonight are fine :)

Goldfish have no stomach, so more feedings but smaller amounts are better, so it's up to you to determine what works best for you in terms of 3, 4, or 5 times a day. All are great options. If you are doing 4x/day for example, try to give them 1/2 of what you just listed above each time, or even slightly less.