Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

Alex - I put a dose of prime in this morning and 4 packets of maracyn two.

Trinket - thanks, I keep the tank covered except for when I feed him...i turn the lights on then. Thanks so much for stopping by and checking up on us...I think Smokey is improving :)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smokey's tank parameters this evening: ammonia: 0 to 0.25 (closer to 0.25...I'd say 0.2), nitrites: 0, nitrates: 0-5 (closer to 0), pH: 7.9.

I added a dose of prime this morning...can I add another one tonight?

Thanks,

Kayla

Edited by Kayla102968

I think Smokey looks good again today. I tried gel food this morning which he promptly spit out, but he is still enjoying the 3 meals of bloodworms a day. He keeps attacking the red colour on the thermometer...I think he thinks it is a big bunch of bloodworms...lol. He did have a thin, white/clear poop tonight, but he also had 2 nice regular poops today too :).

I feel bad that he has to be in the dark most of the day, but not much longer. Tomorrow will be day 3 of 5 for the maracyn 2.

Here is tonight's video:

Yes. He looks great! If the ammonia holds at the level we've been seeing, then there is no need to change the water :)

Are you getting a yellow tint to the water? Maracyn 2 will do that to the water, but I couldn't tell from the video.

Tomorrow, try really really mushy peas at least once.

Don't feel bad about Smokey having no lights. The lights are mostly for our benefits. He's fine without it for a few days :)

Smokey just did something really weird. I have his lights off and also the room lights off and the top, back, and the end of the tanks covered. He only gets a tiny bit of indirect light from the windows through 1/2 of the front of his tank...but it still looks dark everywhere in his tank. I just happened to look over at him and he was swimming wildly on his side and hitting the river rocks with his body. Immediately I tested the pH and it was still at 7.9 and all the other readings were fine as well. I decided to turn on the room and tank lights and he started swimming wildly again, but at least up and down. I have had the lights on for about 10 minutes now and he still seems really skittish and wild, but he is no longer swimming on his side. Could this all be from a tiny bit of indirect, cloudy daylight through the front of his tank? Like I said, it still looks very dark in his whole tank and I can just barely see him in there. Any thoughts?

I ended up covering his whole tank with a blanket. Originally I had left the front bottom 4 inches open so that I could still see him occassionally...but with him thinking that part of the tank was "up" I decided to fully cover him. That really scared me, especially since there wasn't even a room light on. I put some really tiny, mushy pieces of peas in today and somehow he managed to hold them in his mouth for 5 seconds and still spit them out untouched. I have no idea how he can do that. I sure hope he can eat beyond "perfectly plump and red" bloodworms soon...it takes a long time to feed him.

Water readings: pH: 7.9, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0 and nitrates: 0-5 (closer to 0).

I noticed that the blood marking under his armpits are gone now...woohoo!

Here is tonights video:

Hang in there! You can see the improvements. Already he's able to hold food in for longer. :)

How much Maracyn 2 do you have left? I am trying to figure out if a second round of treatment will be necessary.

What are parameters tonight?

I only have enough Maracyn 2 left to complete the 2 more days in this round. Would it be helpful to try Maracyn...I have heard that some people use Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together to make sure and get whatever type of bacteria is present since it is so hard to tell what the internal bacteria is (that way you cover the gram + and the gram - ). Today was day 3 of a five day regimen for Maracyn 2. When do I need to add the next Prazipro dose?

The water parameters were: pH: 7.9, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0 and nitrate: 0-5 (closer to 0).

You won't need to deal with Prazi again until you finish the Maracyn 2 treatment.

I know that some people you Maracyn + Maracyn 2 to treat, in hopes of broadening their targets. However, I don't really see the point. Maracyn's active ingredient is erythromycin, which is effective against Gram-positive bacteria. There are very few know gram-positive bacterial infections of fish, so I think the Maracyn is more of a waste of money. Maracyn 2 is very broad spectrum :)

Do they have more Maracyn 2? It's not certain that you will need it, but just in case...

Possibly. I don't want to repeat the treatment, but so far my thinking is this...finish up the treatment with Maracyn 2 and continue for 1 more round of Prazi. During that time, we can assess the situation to see whether he needs to be treated again. Hopefully not.

Sounds good...I sure hope we don't have to re-treat as well. He really hasn't been healthy since the first week or two that I had him...way back in December, the poor guy.

Do you think the Prazipro might be preventing him from eating?

He's looking good again today when I see him at feeding times...swimming well and excited about bloodworms. I tried mushing up gel food and then putting tiny pieces in and he grabbed at the one piece and then spit it out in a hundred tinier pieces...I didn't even think that was possible to do...I thought it would just melt in his mouth. He wouldn't even try the tiny pieces of pea today...just swam right through them. He also had a 3.5" poop today and then pooped twice more, so I think he may be getting too many bloodworms now (in his 3 meals).

Tomorrow morning is his last dose of Maracyn 2 and 5th day of prazipro.

The water readings were:

pH: 7.9

ammonia: 0.25

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0-5 (closer to 0)

How much Prime should I put in tonight?

Thanks for your help,

Kayla

Edited by Kayla102968

Sounds great! Looks like he is recovering but still needs more time to heal a bit more. The best thing is that he is eating blood worms right now, so we know he is getting some food at least :)

Keep trying with the gel food and really mushed up peas. The other thing to try to is really well cooked spinach.

Water parameters look great, all things considered. Just add 1/2 dose of Prime :)

Still only eating bloodworms but he seems active. Can I take the cover off his tank today? I like to see how he's doing other than at meal times :). Maybe I can turn the tank light off but leave the room lights on? :) . The water does have a yellow tint to it...hard to see with the blue background...I notice some yellow particulates at the bottom of the tank even though I always dissolve the powder in tank water before putting it in. The particulates are much larger than the powder is and you can even see it moving in the water and on the glass walls of the tank. The water looks cloudy with it.

Here is a video of Smokey today...I think you can actually see the cloudiness and particles on the video.

I would continue to keep the lights off and tank covered. There is only one more day, and you want to make sure he gets the full course of treatment. In my opinion, it's not worth light inactivating the Minocycline.

Okay...I left Smokey in the dark and covered. The readings on his water tonight are:

pH: 7.9, ammonia: 0.25, nitrite: 0 and nitrate: 0.

I will do a 50% w/c sometime tomorrow...do I add another 1/2 dose of Prime tonight?

Tomorrow I'll go get some spinach :).

I had a question about the Seachem Gold Buffer. When I eventually get into a routine of doing weekly 50% w/c's, do I use enough Seachem Gold Buffer for the entire tank at w/c time...or only the amount of water I replace? So far when doing the 50% w/c's I've been just adding enough buffer to cover the new water added. But I'm wondering when I do less frequent w/c's (once per week instead of twice a week) if I'll have to replace the entire tank amount of buffer on a 50% w/c. Sorry if that sounds confusing :).

I'm going to pick up spinach today for Smokey to try...anything else I could try? I'm beginning to think he's just spoiled with the bloodworms now. He won't even bother to grab at anything if its green. I would think that a mushy tiny piece of gel food or pea would feel just as easy on the mouth as 5 bloodworms...but maybe not.

Edited by Kayla102968

LOL. I've had the suspicion that he's spoiled for a few days now :rofl

There is a difference between chewing and spitting out because of irritations versus not even trying lol

When I do water changes, I only put back the amount of the water volume taken out, but you will want to test the hardness to see if doing so is enough to put you in the 150/11 hardness range, at least :)

The spot on Smokey's lip appears to be coming back. It looks like a black mark as thick as a hair. That's what happened last time and then it turned white and grew again. I'm wondering if it was always there and I just didn't notice it because Smokey was darker coloured...today he looks lighter in colour and that's when I noticed it. He spit out my peas and spinach today...so very frustrating :(...I guess I just need to be patient.

I'm sorry. I think that once the antibiotics are withdrawn the lip spot will gradually disappear, as it did before.

For now, just let him take his time healing. At least we know he can eat blood worms. It's not a whole lot of consolation, but it's a good step.