Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He usually will try once to grab at it and then spits it out. Other times he is so busy at the top of the tank he won't even try for the food. Yesterday he tried one bloodworm, spit it out and didn't try again. It's just so strange since the white spot on his nose is barely visible anymore.

I think it's become somewhat clear that the two issues are unrelated. I am concerned that there is something irritating his mouth (perhaps gills), and that is the reason for spitting out food and hanging near the surface. My proposal is this: move the other two over to the big tank whenever you are able. After that, we will have to treat with a waterborne antibiotic, ALONG with Prazipro because I am not certain what the offenders are at this stage. For now, try the Pima/Melafix combo, and cross fins.

What do you have in terms of waterborne meds?

I'm sorry I didn't have fantastic news to deliver, but I'm afraid Smokey came to you with several pre-existing conditions, and you have done a incredibly superb job and nursing him along.

If you can get Maracyn Plus, Maracyn 2, Kanaplex, Or some Sulfa-based antibiotic, that would be good. Please don't get all of them, because you don't need to do so.

The biggest hurdle for Smokey is to get him to be able to eat again. I don't think he is even close to giving up.

Edit: yes, of course. All the meds I am suggesting are very broad-spectrum.

Edited by dnalex

I added 4 teaspoons of pimafix (full dose) and none of them are happy with it...they are all bottom sitting. I think i'll only add a half a dose of melafix now, rather than a full dose of that too. Should I do a water change and get rid of some of it or gove them a c?hance to get used to it

I just panicked...they are looking much better now. I just finished a water change right before I put the pimafix in. I think I will leave the pimafix in and just add a half dose of melafix. I'll keep you updated...hopefully if Mark gets home early tonite, I can move the other 2 over.

Thank you for your quick response.

Okay, Elmo and Sparky are in their new tank. How will they ever find their food in all that sand if the food makes it to the bottom?

So starting tomorrow what is the plan for Smokey in the 45 gallon?

Thanks,

Kayla

Let's start with Elmo & Sparky first. What size food are you giving them? Even with the smallest NLS, they won't have any issues finding the food. Don't panic if they eat and poop out sand. This is normal. :)

For Smokey, let's give him another dose of Pima/Melafix and see how he does with food in the morning/afternoon. Then we probably need to start Maracyn 2 if he doesn't improve.

Elmo and Sparky are now eating the 2mm Thera-a pellets again. I see that the pellets don't sink in the sand...I thought maybe they would get covered in sand and never be found :).

Smokey got another full dose of Pimafix and half dose of Melafix this morning. I tried feeding him before the medication and he now doesn't even try to eat...maybe that is a side effect of the Pimafix/melafix.

I noticed that Smokey's fins look a bit rough on the outside edges...nothing dramatic so I'm not sure if it is another symptom or what.

I have the new tank right beside me at the computer and it is so cute to see Sparky and Elmo side by side, staring straight at me and trying to get my attention. I had to rush getting the tank together so the background is full of air bubbles, the bubble wands are sticking out of the sand and then I just placed some fake plants in, just so it wasn't bare. I will probably take most of the plants out though, but it seems they have a lot of room to make their way around them :). I'm just glad they made it to the big tank...now I just need Smokey to get better. I'll post after I try feeding Smokey his lunch (I tried bloodworms and gel food at breakfast and he just looked at it...very disinterested).

Here is a pic of Smokey...maybe you can see the rough edges around his fins or maybe that's just the way fins look:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_4016.jpg

Here is Smokey doing his usual behaviour at the top of the tank:

Here is the new tank with Elmo and Sparky...I'll work on getting it fixed up after I have some more time:

Thanks,

Kayla

I just finished giving Smokey 3 NLS pellets soaked in garlic and he showed no interest. I put a piece of orange in the tank and he did grab at it and have it in his mouth, but then let go. He tried to get the orange a second time when I redropped it in, but he did not take it...he had no interest on finding it at the bottom.

Water: pH: 8.3, ammonia: 0-0.25, nitrites: 0 and nitrates: 5.

It kind of looks like the ends of his fins are a little strange. It almost looks like what paper would look like on the edge if you burned it...but again it's not really noticeable. Maybe you can see it in the video:

Hi Koko :)

The last w/c was yesterday morning. I just did the water tests and they were: Ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5. He is not clamping his fins now though. It seemed to last only a short while and now he looks as he usually does. I tried feeding him peas as his night time meal and he grabbed one and held it for a while (3 secs) and then spit it out.

Do you think his fins look normal or do they look a bit frayed at the edges? Today is day 2 of Melafix (1/2 dose) and Pimafix (full dose).

His white spot on his nose is gone. He just won't eat :( .

Any ideas are sure welcomed :) .

Thanks,

Kayla

This morning Smokey grabbed a small piece of gel food and then spit it out. He tried chasing down a garlic soaked pellet but it got to the bottom before he caught up to it and then he just leaves it.

His white spot on his nose is completely gone now. He spends quite a bit of time at the top of the tank, but he is not constantly up there. His fin edges look a bit strange at the edges, but I'm not sure if his fins were that way before. He does a little fin clamping but not often and certainly not all the time.

Should I try prazipro? I really am at a loss as to what to do. I will add the pimafix and melafix again today. I think I'll try a full dose of melafix instead of the usual half dose.

Other than that...I have no idea what to treat him with.

Here is today's video...it will take about 18 minutes to upload...so around 9 am it should be viewable:

Thanks,

Kayla

My opinion is to give the Pima/Melafix one more day. If things continue to be the same, we can try the Maracyn 2/Prazipro tomorrow.

Try giving him FBW later to see if it goes down more easily.

• Admin

hun what are the Pellets?

Now I know that Melafix and Primafix all full doses can make a fish gulp. So I would like to try after your done with the treatment, is to do a 50% water change one day. Then can you show me how hes doing after the water change after 24 hours. :)

Thanks Alex...Thanks Koko :)

Koko - the pellets are ProGold in smaller pieces (soaked in garlic)...and 2mm Thera - A NLS pellets soaked in garlic.

Here is a short video of how he reacted when I put the melafix/pimafix in. He stays at the bottom at first since the top is all bubbly and he looks pretty good. You'll see him yawn once and also kind of startle once. It's so strange because he's not giving us much to go on...he just won't eat and he is usually at the top of the tank but not always.

Smokey had 3 good meals of bloodworms today and 2 normal (but a little thin) looking poops. His behaviour has totally changed. He is not up at the tank constantly now and he is cruising the tank. I did do a w/c of 50% and replaced 1/2 doses of Melafix and Pimafix. Tomorrow I guess I will add another dose of each?

Here is his evening video: