Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

Well Smokey isn't eating again. Yesterday he was doing great with the pellets and this morning he won't even eat the gel food. He sucks it in and immediately spits it back out. He is spending a lot of time at the top of the tank again (head up) and has turned the darker colour brown again (usually he looks more lighter brown and orange). He is "chewing" pretty much constantly. I just completed a w/c, the last w/c was Sunday night. I'll try the spirulina brine shrimp later today.

Here is the video of Smokey:

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. He does seem to prefer the upper part of the water column, but to my inexperienced eye with single tails, I don't see anything that jumps out as being strange. He is not breathing heavily, nor is he piping. There must be some sort of mouth/gill irritation that is recurrent. I wonder if this had happened because of that unfortunate power outage. Let's try the blood worms and brine shrimp again.

What are your parameters today? I noticed that your water is a bit cloudy this time. Is it because you recently did a WC and added Buff-It-Up?

Here is a photo showing Smokey's nose and what the white spot looks like: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3892.jpg

I did feed some spirulina brine shrimp and it took a while for Smokey to show any interest (he was up at the top right corner of the tank...his favorite spot now). He did grab at some brine shrimp but then later, spit a bunch out (at 36 seconds and again at 44 seconds). I'm not sure how much (if any) he got. Here is the video of him and the brine shrimp:

Last meal of the day I will try peas.

Last night Smokey ate 4 pea halves. He has a long skinny white poop this morning. He tried to eat peas this morning and spit them all out. I tried some tiny pieces of gel food but he also spit those out. It is so frustrating. He was doing so well after the electricity was out and was eating and swimming so well. His white mark looked like a thin black mark on his nose and now it is right back to as big as it was before :( .

Thanks Alex and Koko :)

I just tried bloodworms and he ate some and also spit some out, so it is hard to tell how much he actually got.

Which treatment would we repeat...(melafix, API fungus treatment, or hydrogen peroxide on nose tip?).

I'm scared to do the fungus treatment again since that made him not eat...and he is already not eating this time :( Also, the white spot on his nose was still there after the treatment and it only disappeared after the cold water issue when our electricity went out...it went black in colour and shrunk immensely. Then about 2 days later it came back and has been continuing to grow :( .

Alex - I got the Gold Buffer today and I'm going to test the tank water to see if I need to do a w/c today. If I do a 50% w/c, how much Gold Buffer do you think I should add to the 20 gallons? The new water I'll be adding will be at kH of about 39...so I probably should do a half dose due to soft water...so 20 gallons is usually a dose of 2 teaspoons, so I'll do a dose of 1 tsp with my 50% w/c.

Do you just add the Gold Buffer directly to the tank (or in the filter?)...or dissolve it in a small cup of tank water and then add it? Should I wait for an hour and then test the kH of the tank, or can I test it right away?

I'm thinking that Smokey has something that affects his breathing, since he always ends up at the top of the tank (he spends 95% of his time, head up there).

Let me know what you think I should do with Smokey. I'm very worried about him.

Thanks,

Kayla

Edited by Kayla102968

Kayla, can you try to take a look at his gills and see what they look like? Try to get as much details as you can. I just want to make sure his gills are still ok, in light of the spitting out food and the hanging near the surface.

As for the Gold Buffer, I dissolve first in some tank water and then add. I only use 1/4 of the recommended dosage, and I suspect it will be the same with you. We have the same level of soft water, and I know you are very diligent with water changes.

Please describe the spot again as much as you can. I would like to get all the relevant details before making a suggestion.

Hang in there.

The spot on Smokey's nose reminds of kinda like cocoon material or spider web encased...it is bright white and then fades on the edges to a vague greyness. The very top of it looks like smooth white material. The following pictures is basically how I see it: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3958.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3892.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3939.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3956.jpg

Here is a video I took. I turned off the bubblers so that I could see him better. Sometimes he shakes his head and flares his gills. His right gill looks lighter red than I remember...almost pink, but the outer edge of it was almost black (that may have been just his outer scale skin). I can tell his mouth is very irritated by the way he acts. Do you also notice that Smokey is darker in colour...almost black?

Thanks again for all your help.

This morning Smokey's white spot is smaller. He is not spending as much time near the top of the tank. He did eat some spirulina brine shrimp this morning but spit out the peas no matter how small I made the pieces, same with the gel food.

Can I feed spirulina brine shrimp for one meal and then blood worms for another meal (in the same day)?

I did a 50% w/c before feeding them this morning.

We have Smokey poop...yay! He must have got enough to eat yesterday from the blood worms and spirulina brine shrimp, since he had a good poop this morning. I have a video :) .

I'm loving the Seachem gold buffer so far. Today's w/c I just added 1/2 teaspoon (I usually have to add 2.5 teaspoons of BIU). I tested the water before the change and one hour after the change.

Before: pH: 8.2, kH: 130

After: pH: 7.9, kH: 150

It's looking good. I noticed that the Seachem gold buffer is more the consistency of baking soda (compared to BIU). It seemed to dissolve in tank water a lot better too. I'm hoping it has some lasting power like BIU does. Of course I'm doing w/c's every 2nd day so it will be a while before I can test that out.

I tried to get a view of his gills again and couldn't. You can see on the video tape I was trying, but he never opened them up enough.

Here's this morning's poop video:

Yay! Poop. Lol

I'm glad things are a little better today. There's no question there was a bit of a setback with the power outage, but it looks like Smokey is a tough fighter. :)

My suggestion to you is to of course try to make sure he eats, but always keep in mind water quality. As you saw, he is eating, and that is a good sign.

I love Gold Buffer. It does have the consistency of baking soda, because it is a blend of bicarbonate salt, and I'm sure baking soda is one of the ingredients. It's not the only one though lol.

What is the consistency of BIU?

BIU's consistency is more like flour than baking soda.

BIU is on the left in this photo: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3976.jpg

BIU is on the right in this photo: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3978.jpg

Can you see the difference?

I have a feeling that BIU might last longer (longer staying power) in the tank, since it doesn't completely dissolve in the water. But I'm not sure.

I do see the difference.

I am very curious about the difference and effectiveness time between the two. I may also send some of my Gold Buffer to Koko to ask her to do a comparison as well :)

• Admin

I can see and so did TD... The Gold buffer would dissolve allot better just by looking at it. Now Im wondering what are the different compounds in each... :)

Smokey wouldn't eat anything for me today :( . He just grabs at the brine shrimp and bloodworms and spits them right back out. I can't find anything he'll eat now.

I wanted to move them over to the big tank this weekend. What are your thoughts on Smokey going over to the new tank or whether I should just keep him where he is in the 45 gallon. I only have an AC70 for that one though, since my three AC110's are going to the big tank. I feel so bad for Smokey. I wish I knew how to help him.

I also wanted to ask if it's okay to just put a small area of sand in the big tank....kinda like a sandbox to play in :). If I don't put a full 1/4 inch of moon sand down, will it just float up because it's not heavy enough without a whole bunch of it?

Could I try using Pimafix and Melafix together in the 45 gallon for Smokey? I saw this info on Dr. Foster and Smith's website:

"In extreme cases of especially stubborn infections, PimaFix has been designed to work synergistically with MelaFix. Using PimaFix and MelaFix together provides the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing".

I want Smokey to make it or at least give him a chance. Any ideas? thoughts?

Thanks,

Kayla

The answer to all the questions is yes :)

I would keep Smokey in the smaller tank for now, so that you can try to sort things out. The AC70 is more than fine, since there is only Smokey.

As for the sandbox, you can put a little sand, or a whole layer, depending on what you like. They won't float up. The only issue is that if you do use any sand, shorten the intakes of the ACs by one extension, so the sand won't be pulled in.

As for not eating, could you send Trinket a PM asking her what she thinks as the next logical step? Everything makes me think of mouth irritations. Pimafix/Melafix are fine to try while waiting for Trinket :)

Hang in there!

Thanks Alex. Here is the video of Smokey from this evening. His white spot on his nose looks smaller again, but he has been spending a lot of time at the top of the tank.

He looks darker in colour and he is opening and closing his mouth a lot.

I PM'd Trinket so hopefully I'll hear from her soon.

Smokey still didn't eat today (Day 2), he keeps trying but spits it all out. The white spot on his nose has gotten a lot smaller...it is almost gone. I notice that most of the time Smokey is at the top of the tank "surfing". He wiggles with his nose in the bubbles. I also saw him move his mouth open and closed rapidly when he was swimming midline in the tank...then he shook his head. I'm wondering if maybe that white spot on his nose and him not eating are not connected at all. Could it just be he has some kind of parasite (like flukes) and that is causing him to spit out his food and stay with his head at the top of the tank. It almost looks like he is scratching himself on the top of the moving water.

I'm hoping to get Sparky and Elmo in the big tank tomorrow. If so...I'm wondering if I should start Smokey on Prazipro or on Melafix and Pimafix together. If I do try Melafix and Pimafix...can I try it at a full dose?...he seemed to do fine with the 1/2 dose last time.

One other question. I was doing a lot of rinsing today of Caribsea Supernaturals and it looks like really tiny pieces. Is that right? It looks like it will be like mud in the tank. I did finally get it all rinsed so there was no more of that oily looking residue or floaties, but it took quite a bit of work...lol. Also, I'm only using two 20 lb bags...should I still put in the clarifier that comes with each bag even though I have a larger tank than 40 gallons?

Here is today's video:

Alex I still have all the fish in the 45 gallon. My husband has to work all weekend so we've been very busy. Can I treat everyone with a full dose of melafix and pimafix together? Smokey is still not eating. The white spot on his nose is almost gone. Could he have stopped eating because of flukes? What would you recommend my next step is to get Smokey eating again?

Your profile pic is adorable...too cute :)

Kayla

Alex I still have all the fish in the 45 gallon. My husband has to work all weekend so we've been very busy. Can I treat everyone with a full dose of melafix and pimafix together? Smokey is still not eating. The white spot on his nose is almost gone. Could he have stopped eating because of flukes? What would you recommend my next step is to get Smokey eating again?

Your profile pic is adorable...too cute :)

Kayla