Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

Great! I'm glad to hear that he has improved and has decided to eat a little! He sure like to worry his fish-mommy! :rofl

Tomorrow, before trying blood worms, go straight for the NLS. Make sure you soak it first for about a minute, as you should do with all pellet foods anyway :)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fed NLS 3mm pellets first (soaked in garlic) but Smokey didn't eat any...he spit them out (yesterday he ate 5 of these). At their second meal I fed NLS 2mm pellets soaked in garlic...again Smokey didn't eat any. For the third meal I decided to go for a rectangle of spirulina brine shrimp and he ate about 5 little gulps. It appears like he is excited about the food, but then he has a delayed reaction to catching the food (like he's in slow motion). If he misses the piece he doesn't immediately look again. It is quite a long time in between each bite. He is still doing the yawning, but so is Elmo. I wonder if it has something to do with the brine shrimp...it seems to happen after they eat those. He is spending much less time at the surface now and is following the other two fish more.

I've noticed that Smokey has also been rubbing his face in the corners of the tank and also rubbing his body against the air tubing in the tank too. I don't think i got any video of him rubbing his face, but I think I got him rubbing his side against the air tubing.

The first video just shows his yawning and the next video shows his behaviour today.

I wonder if he needs to be Prazi-treated again, but I don't think that right now is a very good time to do it, since he is still having just recovered from a bunch of treatments. I think it can wait for a little bit, but let's see what Trinket says when she stops by.

Keep doing what you are doing. He is slowly but surely get back to normal and eating :)

Is it safe to feed one meal a day of a rectangle spirulina brine shrimp, if they are fed 5 small meals a day (the other meals being NLS pellets)? Or is that still too much protein per day? I'm guessing that blood worms should only be fed one meal once a week?

Pellets are still a little iffy with Smokey...sometimes he'll swallow a few and other times he spits them all out. I wonder if putting them in garlic hurts his mouth more (if it is injured).

Just make sure the tank sides and bottom are spotless. If he is eating again even a little (great to hear!!) his immunity will be able to take care of this mild mouthrot. Keep focused on perfect water, stable conditions and encouraging him to eat. Healing takes a long time and we really have to be patient mostly :heart

The 2mm NLS pellets soaked in tank water (30 secs) were a no go this morning for Smokey. So were the ones soaked in garlic juice (30 secs). He gets excited, grabs at them, and then spits them out. I tried hand feeding him some really soft Jump Start and he spit those out too :( . I think next meal will be blood worms and see how he does with those. He did have a tiny poop this morning that was green...so it must be from the spirulina brine shrimp from yesterday. Most of it was stringy like and green...the start of it (about 2mm long) was normal looking. Here is a video of the poop if you're curious :)

Smokey loved the bloodworms...now if only I could just feed bloodworms and spirulina brine shrimp all day...every day.

Okay, so if I'm feeding 5 meals a day...could two of those meals be bloodworms and spirulina brine shrimp? At least until he gets to the point where he is eating the pellets?

Sparky and Elmo look quite chunky now. I try to put enough in so that Smokey has a good chance to eat, and since he hardly eats much, Elmo and Sparky are eating his share too. I guess for a little while I'm going to be doing w/c's daily or every 2nd day to keep the tank clean with all the meals I'm doing.

What happens to the blood worms that go into the filter? Do they just stay in there until it is the monthly sponge rinse or should I rinse out the media in the filters (with tank water) immediately?

Kayla, try also really soft mushed up peas...

I'm glad he's enjoying the bloodworms. See you could add some veggies, like peas to his diet as well. Do you have the 1mm NLS pellets. Try soaking those for 2-3 minutes until they are soft but not falling apart. I'm thinking the smaller the pellet, the less the need for actual chewing and irritation.

I always turn off my filters when I am feeding bloodworms. They only take less than 5 minutes to finish them up. So I just unplug the filters while they are eating. :)

Edited by dnalex

Great idea Alex about trying peas! Smokey ate 8-10 halves (skinned and squished).

Also a great idea about turning the filter off when feeding bloodworms.

Any other suggestions on what to feed Smokey...I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks,

Kayla

Do you think he might be able to eat gel food? If you can give me a simple method with ingredients...I'll give it a try :) . Smokey was able to eat bloodworms, baby peas, and spirulina brine shrimp today. He missed out on the 2 pellet meals.

Edited by Kayla102968

It's worth a try.

This is what you'll need:

- 1 can low sodium tuna

- 2 jars level 2 baby food

- 2 packets Knox unflavored gelatin

- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

- 1 cup distilled/spring water

This is the simplest recipe:

Drain water from tuna. In a food processor, blend the baby food, garlic, and the tuna into a pur?e.

In a pot, boil 1 cup spring/distilled water and add 2 packets gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Add food puree to the mixture and turn heat down to medium. Stir slowly to mix. Pour into baking pan and let cool and solidify. After about 1 hour you can put in fridge and let sit for another 3-4 hours.

Cut into 1 inch square pieces. Freeze all but 2 squares. Cut the remaining squares into small pieces. (small enough for fish to eat comfortably). Refrigerate and feed as needed. Gel food should only be left in fridge for about 3-4 days max. If you still have some left, throw out and thaw more to feed.

Good luck :)

Thanks Alex for posting that recipe...should the stage 2 baby foods be veggies, like peas? Could you give me some suggestions that are healthy for fish?

I won't be able to do it for a couple of days though...we are snowed in here...8 inches of snow last night.

Today I'm going to feed 4 meals I think.

Meal 1: soaked 1 mm Thera a pellets (soaked them for 2 mins so they were mushy). He still spit them out.

I also put in a 1.5 to 2" square of dried, flat, GC green seaweed delight. Smokey will grab pieces off of it and then suck them in and out of his mouth until he is able to get tiny pieces off to eat.

Meal 2: Spirulina Brine shrimp...one small rectangle

Meal 3: 2 mm soaked NLS pellets

Meal 4: other than peas (can peas be eaten daily or do they have too much natural sugar in them?) is there another veggie that Smokey might be able to handle? Is avocado okay for goldfish? I'm trying to think of mushy foods that won't be bad to have on a daily basis. I'll get the gel food ingredients as soon as the storm gets less.

Smokey had a normal poop today...so that was good. Elmo's poop was very long, flat and ribbon like...I guess that means he is getting too much.

Can you suggest a healthy feeding schedule that all three of the fish can eat?

Here is Smokey and his poop this morning:

Thanks,

Kayla

I think for now all three should be ok with what you are feeding. Avocados might be ok, although I've never tried it.

Primarily the issue right now is making sure that Smokey has sustenance, and it looks like you are doing that. Peas can be fed daily, and can be one of his multiple meals per day.

I'll think of more ideas and post.

Stay safe in all that snow.

Oh, no! Hopefully others will come on soon to offer you suggestions, as I am not very good with these things. What I can tell you is this:

1. Definitely stop feeding them, since you don't want to add to waste production right now.

2. Take your filter media and put them in a bucket filled with Primed water. Take some water out, and refill with Primed water every few hours. If the power outage goes beyond 48 hours, you can add a little bit of un-flavored ammonia to feed the cycle bacteria, or you can add some pellets to the bucket.

3. Do you have a battery operated air pump? If you do, put one in the tank and one in the bucket containing the filter media.

4. Get a couple buckets/tubs and fill with Primed water. The idea is to let this water reach the same temp as the tank water. Once the temperatures are the same, you can take out some water from the tank to refill with this temp matched water, to infuse in some new oxygen. Do this every few hours, but only if the new water is the same temp as the tank temp.

5. When you are near the tank, splash the water a little bit to create some surface agitation, which will ad some oxygen to the water.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Alex....they definitely are not liking the tank without their bubbles. I didn't even know you could get battery operated air bubblers. Maybe i'll do the straw in tank and blowing method I think Imo mentione

d before...boy this really is not good. Smokey was just getting back to his old self.

I would just let the water warm up by itself, because you really don't want to shock the fish.

A few questions:

- what is the tank temp now?

- could you check for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?

- how is Smokey?

Don't attempt to feed just yet. Wait until tomorrow AND temp is in the 60s at least.

The tank temp is between 50 and 51 degrees. I'm worried that with us moving the house temp back up to 70 it will rise the water temp too quick...but then again it went down 20 degrees in 45 hours so that was also very quick.

Ammonia: 0.25 - 0.5 (closer to 0.5), Nitrite: 0 , Nitrate: 10-20 , pH: 8.1.

Luckily, just before the electricity went out I did a 60% w/c. I was also able to find a battery powered air pump and got that on the tank yesterday. They look a bit "slow" but are definitely coming up to me at the tank wondering if I'm going to feed them. Smokey seems active and looking for food when I approach the tank...but his marks on his side and his nose look slightly more prominent I think. Elmo looks the most stressed....his dorsal fin is not as high as the other two.

I made some gel food on Thursday that turned out great...I'm not sure if I should just throw it out now since the fridge has been off since 2 pm on Thursday. Of course it's been so cold in the house it may still be okay. Should I throw it away or freeze it?

I didn't get a chance to see if Smokey would eat it before electricity went out. Smokey did eat two meals on Thursday...one of spirulina brine shrimp and he also ate a few (4) Progold pellets soaked until they were "melt in your mouth" consistency but still looked like a pellet.

Thanks for the info again Alex...I definitely won't feed them until the tank temp reaches at least 60 degrees.

I added prime to the tank this morning before I knew we would get electricity back (we stayed at a hotel last night with our 2 little boys). When I do my w/c, can I increase the temp of the tank by 2 degrees or should I just try and match the temp exactly?

I'll attach today's video:

Edited by Kayla102968

Sounds like the tank weathered the blackout rather well, thanks to you! :)

I think that the 20 degrees change over 45 hours isn't bad, and the warming up is much less stressful in any case. So just let the tank warm up on its own. When you do a WC, of course you can increase the new temp by a couple of degrees :)

Ok. Now nobody yell at me for saying this, but I think you are better off throwing the food out. Given that this is the food we use long term, I would err on the side of caution and worry free.

Can I get a link to making gel food that has more different foods in it? I just want to make sure if they are going to be eating this long term (if Smokey can handle it) that it will have the requirements they need to stay healthy. Or is everything they need in the "simple" recipe you gave me already?