Smokey has a new white spot...what to do now :(

Kayla102968

This morning I found that Smokey's tail was split. Is this an injury from something in the tank, or Elmo? I sure hope it isn't fin rot :( .

Take a look and let me know what you think.

. It is the lower portion of his caudal fin.

Thanks,

Kayla

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level - 10-20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.1 (kh: 90)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master drops
  • * Water temperature? 70 degrees
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 45 long - 3 months or so
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC110 and AC70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 or 3 days (due to high nitrates - over 20)

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago - 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and BIU
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A 2mm sinking pellets & peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, Smokey 2 weeks ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? split in tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not really.

Is there anything in the tank that could have caused Smokey to split his/her fins on?

Also, I can't remember if you had said whether the LFS owner had actually scraped Smokey for flukes.

He said he had treated Smokey with Prazi and quick cure as a precaution since Smokey was from a pond. I have noticed Elmo yawning more today.

I don't think he actually checked a microscope slide for Smokey.

I do have plastic plants in the tank...other than that I can't think of anything.

Hmmm....my words are getting crossed out.

Edited by Kayla102968

I think that because he hadn't been QT'd by you, it might be prudent to Prazi everyone, along with 0.1% salt. I'm thinking 3 rounds, one round every five days.

What do you think?

Okay...I'll have to continue to add Prazi and salt if I do water changes every 2nd day right? I don't think my nitrates will be able to be kept below 40 for 5 days. I'm changing water by day 2 or 3 since it gets very close to 40 ppm nitrates.

One other question while I'm thinking about it. When I move them to the 125 gallon, what size tank would you recommend as a quarantine tank for me and my 3 fish. I couldn't imagine adding salt to a 125 gallon...ack!

Thanks,

Kayla

I would let your water params be your guide for water changes. If I can I tend to do daily water changes on qt just to flush everything out and cut down on parasites. You could do a twenty or thirty gallon tub for Qt if you keep up with those water changes.

Sounds good, Thanks. Should I just remove all the plastic plants and get only real ones for the big tank? I tried getting 2 larger Amazon swords and an anubias and only the anubias survived. The Amazon sword would grow new shoots and they would immediately get eaten...they didn't stand a chance.

Is 0.1% salt mean that I add 1 level teaspoon of salt per gallon...so about 40 teaspoons to my 45 gallon long?

Edited by Kayla102968

Another option is silk plants. This is what is use now, since I am not using live plants at the moment.

Edit: 40 teaspoons is great! :)

Edited by dnalex

So I salted tank to .01% (during a 50% water change) and added a dose of Prazipro. Can flukes cause a fish's tail to split...I wonder why that is? Will his tail fix or will he always have a split tail? I took out most of the plastic plants so they can maneuver around the others better now. How would I know if Smokey had fungus or something else wrong with his tail?

Thanks,

Kayla

Update on my 3 fish: Sparky looks the worst right now. She sits in the corner behind the plant and looks a little floaty and slanty...she does come out and is vigorously eating, but then she goes right back to the corner.

Elmo and Smokey look slower moving today too. They both are doing a lot of yawning.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of small bubbles all over the tank. Is this from the Prazipro treatment?

Smokey has had a white scale (or maybe a missing scale?) on his left side about half way down. He had this before I got him but now I'm worried it might be something else. I have 2 videos to look at. The first one shows their behaviour today and the second one shows the white spot on Smokey. I think those 2 white dots on Smokey's white scale is just air bubbles, but not sure.

Thanks,

Kayla

If your fish had fungus you would know it ;) it would look like fuzzy patches,or like a mold :( and as for the plastic plants I so forgot that's what you had in your tank and they can be troublesome to a goldfish's tail ;) i only use silk or live anymore with my fish...the salt and prazi may make your fish act a little different I saw that Elmo was doing some yawning and that's the prazi going to work...sometimes they look worse before they look better :( but make sure when your adding your salt you do it slowly 12 hour inclement's...i myself do 24 hour ;) because using salt scares me a bit ;) I'm sure the salt and prazi will help and Smokey's tail will repair in time :)

Thanks Shelly...they are all acting so skittish right now. I put up a towel at one end of the tank and they are all hiding behind it. I peeked around it quite slowly and they all rushed off in different directions wildly darting. Then back to the corner.

I think I only have to salt to 0.1% right? I'm hoping the tank parameters will be good for 3 days so I can keep the Prazipro in that long. But we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Kayla, Elmo, Sparky and Smokey

Nope...no carbon. Thanks for checking though.

Well, I guess that goes to show me that if someone says he's quarantined my fish already...no matter how much he assures me it's healthy as a horse and ready to go in my tank, I still need to quarantine it myself. Bummer.

Nope...no carbon. Thanks for checking though.

Well, I guess that goes to show me that if someone says he's quarantined my fish already...no matter how much he assures me it's healthy as a horse and ready to go in my tank, I still need to quarantine it myself. Bummer.

I'm sorry :(

Please don't think that you are alone in this. I am also not "yelling" at you. It's just something I learned the hard way. I did this also, and the consequences were not pretty :(

Smokey is going to give me a heart attack here. I just noticed a white thing on his top lip area. I can't tell if it is just a change in colour or if there is actually something there. Let me know if you know what this is and what I should do.

Thanks,

Kayla

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/?action=view&current=MVI_3205.mp4

How did that happen? Can the other 2 catch it? I have it at 0.1% salt. My water parameters are ammonia: 0 (maybe 0-0.25), nitrite: 0 nitrate: 10-20. If I add salt up to 0.2% tonight, will I need to do a water change first? If I do a 50% water change, do I add in another 1/2 dose of prazipro?

Thanks,

Kayla