:oops: No seriously. Like if a shell is thin you put it? Tomorrow I will take pics of Ferg's shell :) Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

I actually saw him eating today lol! I love the technic!

Anyways, here are some pics of his shell half out of the water so you can see the scrapes. Are those normal?

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

Yeah, those are just scratches from handling and stuff. Snails also are similar to fish, they always think they need to squeeze through the tiniest slots and stuff. Like in my big tank, instead of going over the divider, or under it where there are holes big enough for the PLECO to go through, they feel the need to try to squeeze PAST the divider, where there is only 1/4" space. They are quite successful with that - and with loosening the divider every other week :doh11:

You can use nail polish to protect the shells from mineral loss in soft water. The coating will prevent the water to draw the minerals out of the snail's shell. You can also use it as a protective layer against scratches. Once fully dry, the nail polish is not harmful. You will have to repaint every few weeks or so though, because just like on finger nails, the nail polish will eventually come off.

This picture you posted actually show the "rings" I was talking about. The horizontal lines across the shell. When I got my first snail, the rings looked brittle from the crappy water quality at Wally World, but after a few weeks the new rings were much thicker and prettier, because of the better water quality.

My big black snail Lulu, during the time she was injured (anyone remember the topic about part of her "foot" missing?) she focused her energy more on recovery and regrowth of the missing body part. During this time, she built a really crappy looking shell.

When age got to her, her shell overall started to develop craters and holes. That's because she didn't eat much anymore, and lost more minerals than she took in. Let me find some pics real quick, so you can see what I am talking about.

You see how the older part of Lulu's shell has craters from before I bought her. Then her shell was very pretty during the time I had her, and the newest part is all brittle after her injury.

troptrib010-1.jpg

Snails really thrive in hard water. If you cannot provide very hard water (because you keep them in a tropical setup), having a piece of cuttlebone provided at all times is important. My snails loved to graze on it and get some extra minerals. I upped the overall pH of my water to 7.6 - 7.8 in the tropical tank. Slowly, and the fish do not seem affected. Not even the neons, which usually prefer quite soft water.

And about the short live span, you can always reduce the temperature in your tank by a couple degree, unless the betta seems sluggish. This will give the snail and maybe even the betta too a little longer of a live span. :)

EDIT: I just saw that Ferg's older shell part is becoming to look less nice than the newer part. Naturally of course. You can coat this area with clear nail polish to protect it from further disintegration.

When you do nail polish, remove him from the water and try to rub his shell dry with a paper towel. Set him in an empty plastic tub to make sure the shell dries fully. No worries. These snail can live for hours outside the water, and can survive for days outside the water by holing up in their shell with their spare water.

When he is all dry, carefully coat the shell. Make sure the nail polish does not touch his actual body, this will cause injury! So don't have the nail polish brush dripping with stuff.

Then let the coat dry, add another coat, let it dry again. Plop him back in the water - done!

Did you have him nibble on your finger or hand yet? Mine got an obsession with trying to eat me :rofl It's the funniest and cutest feeling to have the snail's tiny "teeth" grind at your skin. Feels like a soft tingle :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Oh Lulu is so pretty! I never saw black ones.

I will try raising the KH a bit and hopefully everything will be fine. I already have a high pH so that is good. I have sitting bull at 26 so I guess that is better than Mr.R with 29! lol.

Do you think I need to put the nail polish on? He doesn't have any pits, just the scratches, and the newest part of his shell is quite thin - with one little irregular part. The oldest part looks bad in the picture, but again those are scratches which I assume scratched off the initial dark coloration.

You don't have to coat him yet if he looks fine enough, especially since he'll be in nice hard enough water anyway. :) I rarely coated mine, I didn't start with Lulu until her old shell part started looking crappier than it already was.

I love black apple/mystery snails. Their bodies have this purple tint, which looks really great in contrast to the orang-y pattern on their skin. I love this photo here, especially since it shows their tiny teeth and stuff. So cute!

4470625712_4acc2af151.jpg

Oh that's a little creepy!!! :help:

I was thinking that too. Good thing these buggers are so little. Imagine they'd be the size of a soccer ball :rofl There would be no "gentle nibbling on my hand"; it would be more of a "gently tearing the skin off my hand" :rofl

I just wanted to say that for my snails, they never liked algae wafers, and they never wanted to eat when I took them out of the tank. One day I decided to leave the indian almond leaves in the tank water after I boiled them to make tea to add to the betta tank. Not really sure why I left them in haha, but my snails decided they LOVED it. They eat them like crazy! they can't eat it before it is boiled because it is too hard, but once boiled is very soft. That and kale is their favorte foods. Pretty mucht the only thing they will eat, so if you're having trouble feeding him then definatly try the leaves :)

Mine did eat when removed from the tank, but I personally don't really see the need to do so. It's not like the betta will eat up the piece of kale/zucchini/cucumber/lettuce. :D

Oh, a special treat all of my larger snails loved were blood worms. I just dangled a worm on a tooth pick right in front of their face until they grabbed it with their mouths and started slurping it up. Always fun to watch LOL

I did that yesterday with one of the smaller ones. The snails are much more chilled than fish. Any time I removed one from the tank, they will come out of the shell after a few minutes. That's how I fed the little guy a blood worm yesterday. It took him some time to get it all in, but he seemed so happy! I think I could see him smile :rofl

You can feed them outside the water?

Ferg is a little nervous still. If you touch the water and he feels the vibration he will hide in his house! But once he realizes nothing happens he will come back out.