I present you fabulous Fergusson!!! His name was inspired by his blonde, freckled looks lol!

I got him today and he is just super cute! I always wanted an apple snail since seeing Helen's Frankie!

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0702-1.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0699-1.jpg

And this is his tank mate :)

IMG_0709.jpg

:heart

Ferguson is awesome! I love these snails :)

[it may be time for me to get some more again. I also had the baby blue ones, as well as the yellows. They are so much fun to have around!]

@Kathy, I don't know much about them yet lol! From what I understand they need 2-3gals per snail, you can keep them with any fish you want as long as they are not being attacked. (I am keeping him with my betta but Helen and some others have kept them with goldfish). They eat some of the algae and food remains they find around the tank, but the best is to take them out into a little container every few days and feed them some blanched veggies, wafers etc. THey also need hard water and sepia bone for their shell.

Also, they poop a LOT.

Fergusson hasn't eaten yet I believe, I left him a piece of waffer in the tub during the night and he didn't eat it. But he sure pooped a lot!

He is the funniest thing. Today he has been hyper all day, cruising around his little tub. But I haven't actually seen him eat yet - do they slide over the food??? I tries spinach - not touched, waffers - neither, and gel food - neither...

• Supporter

My apple snail barely ate any thing for the first 7 months I had "her". She just kind of sat around most of the week then when I would notice her moving around I would put a dish in the tank with an algae tab and she would eat and then go back to being a lump. In the last couple of months she's a maniac and I have to feed her all the time. If she doesn't have food she goes to the surface and starts scooping duck weed into her mouth. Apple snails are odd little buggers.

Yeah, mine did not eat at all for the first 2-3 weeks. They now love the goldie gel food, algae wafers, and any veggies I put in the tank :) In the beginning I found that they were more apt to come out and eat if I fed them in the dark (now they don't care one way or the other).

He is so cute I swear! I keep finding myself watching him when I go to the kitchen! He cracks me up!

I just read that they only live on year at high temps tho :( That's so sad...

I noticed that he has a few scratches on his shell. Is that anything to worry about? I don't add a buffer to the betta tank yet, should I start doing that? Because even if I have a high pH, my KH is quite low.

Oh and I gave him a cuttle bone piece and he thinks it sucks!

I never took mine out to eat. Mine live in the 55g tropical community, and love eating dieing plant matter, algae, any type fish food that makes it to the gravel (pellets, flakes, algae wafers, gel food). But with a betta, they might have less chances to get at the food in time, so feeding him directly every few days is a good idea :) OR you could weigh a small piece of veggie down with a rock. You don't even need to blanch it, the snails are really good at eating even tough stuff.

They love kale, and kale is high in calcium. I doubt the betta will steal any of this. :D

Did you let the cuttlebone soak first? They seem to like it more that way, it seems softer.

They do get scratches and stuff on their shells, and their shells will show - like tree rings - the different water quality (hardness) they lived in. Have you checked applesnail.net for info yet? That's an awesome website about these suckers :)

Also, have you seen him breath at the surface yet? :D

I use the kent's calcium drops in the tank in addition to the cuttlebone (my water is super soft and you can see where my snails shells have grown is a bit thinner than the shell they had when I got them :( ) I also try to feed lots of kale/spinach for calcium. Someone on applesnail.net had suggested the kent's liquid calcium when I first got my snails.

thanks Fang!

I didn't see the rings. But he has different colors.

I was thinking of taking him out in his little tub overnight every few days. I also got a new veggie clip which I can try.

I will try soaking the bone.

YES I saw him the first day doing the scuba surface breathing! It's sooo cool how he makes the little tube. I love it.

I don't think I will find calcium liquid here. Would adding the buffer work? I add it to all my goldfish tanks.

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish