What is the best way to stick a background on your tank?

I've had my background on my tank for ages, but it's never looked quite right. I used scotch tape, and it's held up fine for years, but theres always been a little space between the background and the actual tank, and it just looks so incredibly fake (it's supposed to be a beautiful planted scene). What do you guys do? :)

My background also had a gap like yours which made it look really dull. My solution was to change to a plain BG rather than a plant scene so it was less obvious.

I know there is special adhesive you can buy to stick the bg directly on the tank glass with no gap between - but i dunno how expensive that is or how easy itd be to remove if you changed your mind.

Somebody told me alot of people spread a thin layer of olive oil over their backing and then press it onto the tank, then smooth out any bubbles and tape the edges down, apparently that looks as good as if youd glued it on and is cheaper and easier to remove. I havent tried it myself but it sounds like it would work!

That's what I do :-)

I spread oil over the background thinly and evenly and stick it on. No need to use scotch tape even! The colours come up a treat. It's a bit painful to get rid of the air bubbles (I used an old bank card) especially when you can't reach easily behind your tank, when it's already set up, but it is worth it :-)

Oh, and keep an eye on the top to prevent getting excess oil into the tank, or only use downward/side strokes to get rid of the bubbles. When I was putting the background on the big tank, I was pushing up to get rid of a bubble and I saw oil being squeezed out at the top. it was only a tiny amount and easily wiped off, but I thought I'd mention it.

I've had it on a couple of months now and I'm happy with it.

I like to tuck the top under the rim and use packing tape (the clear kind) on the sides it doesn't leave any residue ;)

I also thing the planted looking one look kind of fkish ;) i myself like the plain or solid ones :)

I've used Oceanvisions backgrounds. You put them on kinda like wallpaper. I had one on my 90 gallon for years and it stayed on really well. It made me sad when I sold the tank and the guy who bought it was going to take it off because his tank acts as a room divider between his family and living rooms and he doesn't use a background.

Anyway, I just ordered another one for my 40 gallon. I think they only come in solid colors .. .

I use oil for mine - I've stuck my background on once and it's stayed attached through at least 2 house moves without a problem. Has one or two bubbles I was too lazy and impatient to get rid of (again with the bank card!) but it makes the colours so much more vibrant than just taping.

Can I post the website?

I'm sure that would be okay with koko. I'll take the rap if not ok!! :)

It's more advertising links or links to other goldfish site links not allowed. People often link to petfood or medications on sale etc.

I like to paint the background black with a latex paint. You never have to worry about wierd gaps or bubbles between the glass and the background. Plus it has a really interesting "soft" look. The latex paint is really easy to remove too if you ever get tired of it, it just peels right off. Of course then you're pretty limited (probably just have to use one solid color) but I like how it looks. If you do some fancy taping-off work, you can probably even paint some sort of pattern on the back.

• Admin

Well guys. I may be getting someone i know to be able to make use Custom cling on backgrounds.

Still working on details :thumb:

I have a Cling on one from Petsmart. It would be like that :thumb:

• Admin

And it would be what every photo you want as the background.

Sunset, mountains. What ever you can do... I believe there is a certain size the photo will have to be....

So Soon. :thumb:

• Admin

Well my dream background would Las Vegas strip! I have tried doing it myself, diy style but it never looks great!

Then this would be your dream WHOOT!! :thumb:

Ill let you know :)

A custom background would be sooooo cool.

The website I ordered my Oceanvisions is aquariumguys.com

It is on it's way and should be here by Tuesday. My husband is working on a board to put on top of the stand. Once those are done I will be setting up my new tank! By next week at this time, my fish will have a tank double the size they are in now! Yiippppeeeee!!!