Sign in to follow this  
pandamanda111

Pet store tanks :'(

Today I went to SmartPets* and I was looking in the Goldie tanks. All the tropicals were healthy and happy as far as I could tell, but half the goldies were bottom sitting, gasping, or looking half dead. But the comets had it worst. All the fish had their dorsals down, but I especially noticed the comets. They didn't look good at all. They were completely covered in ich spots, and half of them had fin rot. Poor guys. I always get sad looking at the ryukins cuz they're usually sick, and I just love mine! I got them from there...it's so weird how it seems like they're always sick except for the 3x I went to buy fish...I must have good luck;) lol

Yes looking at pet store tanks can be pretty hard sometimes :(

You could always try talking to the staff and voicing your concern. Sometimes it does work.

I just want to mention something here, because I see one statement a lot.

Many people remark on how when they go into a pet store, all the fish look fine but the goldfish. I want to weigh in on that a little.

I worked in a few petstores while I was going through high school and university. Every single one had a separate system for the goldfish - they would be on their own sump,which was usually more heavily filtered. But here's what would happen.

We'd get an order. Tropicals, goldfish, etc. Without fail, nearly every time, the goldfish would crash immediately while the tropicals had far fewer problems. And sometimes it could be VERY bad. Unpack the fish one day, come in the next to a pile of goldfish bottom sitting, getting ich, and dying. The tropicals would be OK. In every store I worked in, getting goldfish orders or a large number of goldfish on an order would make us apprehensive - we'd be wondering if it would be an order that is going to crash.

There are a number of reasons for this, especially if the fish are coming from China (pH and temps and other things can be VERY different) but it's not usually a case that the goldfish are being actively ignored or made to be sick while the other fish are properly looked after. You could have a very knowledgeable staff base and still have this kind of thing happen (quite literally) overnight.

That's very true. I never thought of that!

:( it always is sad to see that, regardless of where the issue stems from. I have a store near me where the goldfish literally always have ich. I asked them how they treat it once and they just dump chemicals (something like Rid Ich) in there :( Edited by tithra

I just want to mention something here, because I see one statement a lot.

Many people remark on how when they go into a pet store, all the fish look fine but the goldfish. I want to weigh in on that a little.

I worked in a few petstores while I was going through high school and university. Every single one had a separate system for the goldfish - they would be on their own sump,which was usually more heavily filtered. But here's what would happen.

We'd get an order. Tropicals, goldfish, etc. Without fail, nearly every time, the goldfish would crash immediately while the tropicals had far fewer problems. And sometimes it could be VERY bad. Unpack the fish one day, come in the next to a pile of goldfish bottom sitting, getting ich, and dying. The tropicals would be OK. In every store I worked in, getting goldfish orders or a large number of goldfish on an order would make us apprehensive - we'd be wondering if it would be an order that is going to crash.

There are a number of reasons for this, especially if the fish are coming from China (pH and temps and other things can be VERY different) but it's not usually a case that the goldfish are being actively ignored or made to be sick while the other fish are properly looked after. You could have a very knowledgeable staff base and still have this kind of thing happen (quite literally) overnight.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I think you're right that the goldfish often travel. Also, they use more oxygen and produce more waste than tiny tropicals, so the shipping process is likely more hard on them.

:( it always is sad to see that, regardless of where the issue stems from. I have a store near me where the goldfish literally always have ich. I asked them how they treat it once and they just dump chemicals (something like Rid Ich) in there :(

:(

I think you're right that the goldfish often travel. Also, they use more oxygen and produce more waste than tiny tropicals, so the shipping process is likely more hard on them.

It's quite true. And I checked with more than one supplier to find out that the fish are often bagged the night before - not the day of - shipping. On top of this, the goldfish are producing far more waste and using more oxygen but often shipped in the same densities as tropicals with few exceptions.

The absolute worst is in the early spring. The goldfish are often kept out in large ponds, and the weather is warm enough for parasites to run rampant but the goldfish have lowered immune systems. It got to the point where I had to set up giant holding tubs in the back so I could get the goldfish out of the bags they were shipped in, but then sit there and inspect every fish before putting in the display tanks for the inevitable anchor worms and lice that seem to explode in numbers that time of year.

It's quite true. And I checked with more than one supplier to find out that the fish are often bagged the night before - not the day of - shipping. On top of this, the goldfish are producing far more waste and using more oxygen but often shipped in the same densities as tropicals with few exceptions.

The absolute worst is in the early spring. The goldfish are often kept out in large ponds, and the weather is warm enough for parasites to run rampant but the goldfish have lowered immune systems. It got to the point where I had to set up giant holding tubs in the back so I could get the goldfish out of the bags they were shipped in, but then sit there and inspect every fish before putting in the display tanks for the inevitable anchor worms and lice that seem to explode in numbers that time of year.

Aww. That's so sad:(

At the pet store the other day I actually pointed out to the manager that there were a ton of dead or dying fish in a few of their tanks. Pretty unbelievable...

I understand not being able to check all the time, but they had clearly been in there for a while and stuck to the filters :(

I'm a bit partial to commons, and it's always a bit sad walking into a chain petstore and seeing how crowded the common tanks are. They are packed in quite literally wall to wall. It saddening to know the potential most of the commons have if given the right enviroment. Just ask my 3 commons I bought about 8 and a half years ago. Although I recently had to give them to a new home when I moved, they grew up to be very large and healthy under my care. Quite suprising since they came from a local nnnnnnn.

Wow! 8 years?!?!

Yep 8 years and about 5 months. I originally bought 6 of the 12 cent goldies from my local nnnnnnn (when they still sold fish) with the idea of getting the tank started. At the time, I didn't expect any of them to survive, but 3 of them did. They outlived all of the other goldies I had over the years, including my moor Boggles that passed away after about 5 years. I wish I could have kept them longer, but the new apartment I moved to is quite small. I only had space for one tank. I was going to keep the goldie tank and give away/sell the tropical tank. But as luck would have it, during the move the goldie tank cracked while in my back seat and the stand was damaged by some heavy furniture. I had to keep the guys in a 5 gallon bucket for a few hours until I could find someone to take them. But I'm sure they are happy and have many more years to go.

Wow! That's amazing!! I sure wish I knew how to take such good care of fish! That's awesome! I sure hope Bert and Ernie live that long!:)

:( it always is sad to see that, regardless of where the issue stems from. I have a store near me where the goldfish literally always have ich. I asked them how they treat it once and they just dump chemicals (something like Rid Ich) in there :(

That is harsh. poor goldfish.

That is harsh. poor goldfish.

I'm honestly surprised they don't use salt, it would be cheaper for them I would think. idk.