Should I upgrade my filters?

I currently have two Marineland Penguine biowheel 200 filters...for a total of 400gph in my 56g tank. Should I upgrade to two Aquaclear 70's? I have to be careful what size filter I get because several are too big and do not fit in the spaces in the back of my tank.

• Admin

One thing the AC are smaller in width, so you can actually have more AC filters on than the Penguin's trust me I was a long time user of those filters :thumb:

To transfer, Just get the AC ready to go, get the media from the old filter and put it in the AC filter.

With the Penguins, cut the blue floss off the black plastic :thumb:

Wouldn't it be safer to leave one of the old ones running, and add one AC with old media, then a few weeks later, add the other one?

You could do this, OR you could transfer media from one old while leaving the other running PLUS the two ACs for a few weeks. The possibilities are many :)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I got my Aquaclear 70's, and I am getting them setup now. Right now I have one going, and I put all my old filter media into it w/the sponge, and biomax insert. I didn't put the carbon in yet because I read some people here do not use carbon unless removing meds. That and when I was rinsing the carbon I couldn't get the water to run clear. I rinsed it forever, and the water coming off was still gray tinged. Do I need the carbon? Will my tank be as clean without it?

Thanks. How will I know if I need the carbon? Also...these seem a lot lounder than my Marineland Penguin Biowheel filters. I thought they would be quieter. Did I do something wrong?

They should quiet down in a day or two. If not, they need some re-adjustments. AC filters are very quiet.

As for the carbon, I doubt you'll ever need it, but if the water is smelly or cloudy, then may be.

• Admin

Make sure your Water is close to the top of the tank, or they will be noisy. :o

I just had to replace my 70 cause Charlie ruined it. So I got a 110 and a 70 on my 50 gallon tank. Yesterday it was alittle noisy now that its been running for 24 hours, I dont hear it anymore :thumb:

I really hope mine does get more quiet. I googled noisy and aquaclear and I actually found a lot of other people complaining about this too :(. This sound will drive me crazy if it doesn't stop.

It still makes that noise when I take the lid off. I have tried moving the leveling tool around, but it doesn't help much. It does sound like it is coming from the motor. I will try doing what you said.

I tried that, but it didn't help. I did see on youtube that someone fixed the problem by using vaseline on the impeller shaft. That has to be redone every so often, and I don't want to mess with that. Our tank is in our family room, so the filter really needs to be quiet. I don't mind the sound of water, but not grinding. I might box these back up and send them back to amazon. My dh was already mad that I bought them. He couldn't understand why I needed new filters when I already had two, lol. Too bad I tore apart my biowheels so that I could put that media into my Aquaclears.

Something is definitely wrong with yours. Were they used? I've had aquaclears in the past and they were as quiet as a library as long as the water level was high enough that the return just slipped into the water. :)

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Something is definitely wrong with yours. Were they used? I've had aquaclears in the past and they were as quiet as a library as long as the water level was high enough that the return just slipped into the water. :)

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Yes, they were brand new. My water level is really high. I always kept it high because my marinelands would get really noisy if it got too low. I read several reviews on Amazon, and other pages off google where they say something changed recently and Aquaclears are noisy now. It only seems to be one of mine that is really noisy. Its not water, but a mechanical sound.

Do you have substrate in your tank, like sand? It sounds like something may have been sucked into the impeller housing and being ground up in there :/

No, just gravel. I am sure nothing is in there. Here is the sound it is making http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/sdgarcia23/?action=view&current=VIDEO0017.mp4.

I couldn't tell if there was water coming out or not, but that is the sound mine makes when I forget to fill it up with water before I plug it in! (probably not the problem here though)

I would exchange it. They should not sound like that. Mine are super quiet.

have you checked to see that the filters are level against the tank, mine do make a funky noise if they are not perfectly level (I used a level tool, the thing with the bubble, to make sure mine were level)

I couldn't tell if there was water coming out or not, but that is the sound mine makes when I forget to fill it up with water before I plug it in! (probably not the problem here though)

I would exchange it. They should not sound like that. Mine are super quiet.

Yes, there is water coming out. I filled them up all the way before turning them on. I am sure I have everything in there correctly.

Are they both making that noise? Something's not right, but I am really bad at equipment troubleshooting. We need some handy people, like Koko! :)

They are both making noise, but one is louder than the other.

have you checked to see that the filters are level against the tank, mine do make a funky noise if they are not perfectly level (I used a level tool, the thing with the bubble, to make sure mine were level)

Yes, I have tried adjusting it in several ways, and it doesn't help.

Seriously though.....I have read a lot of people having this problem with recent Aquaclears. Here are some....http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-Power-Filter-Listed/product-reviews/B000260FUW/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addThreeStar

Edited by Summer4