Very Sick Black Moor

Summer4

Hi again Summer. I am so sorry he is bad again and flipped on his side. I was just wondering if your cycle may have crashed. Did you use the Lifegaurd meds in the main tank? Are your nitrates still at zero as that would indicate a crash :(

No, I have not used anything besides the pimafix and melafix. I will check my tank and see. I did change out some of the filters, but not all. I have two marineland peguin biofilters. Each one has the biowheel, and two filters in it. I did change two of the filters. But, he is acting the same as he has since he got sick. I did move him to a container last night....but it didn't help. He is just laying on his side not moving. If I nudge the container he does swim around some. My other fish are ok. What should I do with him?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pimafix and melefix say to remove the carbon when using it. I had to remove all four of my cartriges when I put the medicine in. I did still have the two biowheels running. Could this have crashed my cycle? I changed two of my cartriges because it had been over five months, and they were very dirty.

I tested my water and I got....7.4 ph, ammonia was a yellow color but slightly green so I guess it is 0-.25ppm, nitrite 0, and nitrate was a color betwen 0-5.0ppm. I have alway had trouble with the ammonia color being a little yellowish green...nothing major though.

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

Edited by Summer4

Hello. In my sig, there is a link to DIY filter media. You may want to take a look at this, so that you don't have to rely on cartridges. You can still use carbon, but when you need to remove it, you won't have to risk damaging the cycle :)

Hello. In my sig, there is a link to DIY filter media. You may want to take a look at this, so that you don't have to rely on cartridges. You can still use carbon, but when you need to remove it, you won't have to risk damaging the cycle :)

Thanks. I was also going to order two aquaclear filters, and I think they have removable carbon. I currently have him in a 10 gallon tank...floating in a plastic colander. I rehomed the betta that was living in it. I salted it to .1%. He is alive......but doesn't look good at all.

I didn't change any of the filter media before he got sick. So, I still think a lot of his problem is what ever made him sick in the first place (and the white cottony stuff growing on him). All my other fish look great.

Edited by Summer4

Can you try to take clear pics of these white cottony growths?

Thanks for sharing that link...that looks really neat.

You're welcome! The majority of my filters are AquaClears, and definitely one of many advantages to these filters are the removable carbon. Actually, these days, I use the foam sponge that comes with it, filter padding that I cut out to fit, and then biomedia (more than what came with the fitlers).

Edited by dnalex

Can you try to take clear pics of these white cottony growths?

He doesn't currently have anything on him. I was just talking about what was on him when I initially found him sick two days ago.

I also forgot to say that last night when I put him in the sterilite container, I used water from the tank. That water has some salt, pimafix, and melafix. He almost immediately started swimming around and looked normal. Once I had finished cleaning the gravel, and filling the tank I ran the filter for a while before I put them back in (about 20min). When I put him back into the big tank he almost immediately started acting bad again. Should I have emptied more of the water out after I graveled? I did about 60% before I lost suction and couldn't get it back. I don't understand why he did good in the container with tank water, and then immediately got worse once in the big tank again....unless I should have removed more. Or if something else is wrong with my big tank. Whatever happened......he isn't better now when he is in different water/tank.

That's so strange. While waiting for Trinket's input, I do think it's worth doing another big water change (90%) with stirring of gravel before that and then vacuuming out the debris etc. Then do as you did yesterday with letting the filter run with lots of surface splashing for about 30 minutes before adding them back in.

I'm curious also to see what he does when you bring him over to the Sterilite tub again.

I'm curious also to see what he does when you bring him over to the Sterilite tub again.

At 5am this morning I moved him to a 2.5 gallon bucket because that was all I could do at that time in the morning. I felt that I had to move him because he was laying on his side...and the current in the big tank was throwing him all around. About 11am this morning he was just laying on his side in the botton of the bucket. If I nudged it he would swim a little. I moved him to my 10g tank that had a betta in it so that he could have filtered air. He is in a little plastic colander because when I tried putting him in there without it the current from the filter was throwing him all around. He is still alive....and tries to swim a bit, but he ends back up on his side a lot and in a curved shape. Its like he can't swim right now. Could it be his swim bladder? Could he get worse in the big tank due to all the pressure? That or something in the big tank is very poisonous to him.

Edited by Summer4

:( Very upsetting. It looks like his swimbladder has almost completely ceased functioning. Although incredible turnarounds do happen with fish. The curved shape that you saw is not a good sign however :( Can you see if his gills look okay? Are they a normal color? Is he eating anything at all?

His gills look red & he is not eating, but I have even worse news :(. The betta now has whatever it is. I temporarily housed him in the container that I had the black moor in earlier. I cleaned it out, and used fresh water, but now he is lying on his side....and is losing color! He was red...and now has pale white areas. The black moor also has pale areas on his underside...and has gone more bronze since getting sick. OMG I feel aweful now....what is going on?????

Edited by Summer4

Okay :( so you need to get your moor out asap and back in the main tank in a collander. What kind of media did you say you have in there? He needs cycled water.

How is the other fish? How many other fish in the main tank? They are all behaving fine yes?

Won't the black moor get my other goldfish sick if I put him back in there? Somehow he got the betta sick. They weren't together ever....but I put him in a container the black moor had been in before. My other three goldfish are doing great at the moment. I have two marineland penguin 200's....they have the biowheel, and 4 filter cartriges...but two are new :(. I shouldn't have changed them out. I did order two aqualcear 70's today, and they will be here tomorrow. I am scared to put him back in there and get the others sick.

Edited by Summer4

I think something is wrong with that container, which I think is what Trinket is suspecting as well. It is possible there is some kind of poision or something like that in there. If the betta is reacting that quickly and was perfectly healthy before it is most likely something in that container. Moving the fish to a clean non-contaminated source is the best bet.

Your moor has been with the other fish before. Whatever he has been exposed to the other fish have too. It is probably the anaerobic bacteria that live under the gravel. :(

If you can set up a separate tank or tub that would be good but it must be cycled and constant water changes to make it that way is so hard..on the fish.This is why I was asking about media, if you could somehow transfer a cycle.

I am so sorry about your betta, that is awful. Could it be there was soap residue on the collander? Grasping at straws here.

I think something is wrong with that container, which I think is what Trinket is suspecting as well. It is possible there is some kind of poision or something like that in there. If the betta is reacting that quickly and was perfectly healthy before it is most likely something in that container. Moving the fish to a clean non-contaminated source is the best bet.

Right before I wrote about the betta, I moved the black moor to the bucket I use for cleaning the tank...and I moved the betta back to his tank. There was nothing poisonous in the container they were in. It had only been used for fish.

If you can set up a separate tank or tub that would be good but it must be cycled and constant water changes to make it that way is so hard..on the fish.This is why I was asking about media, if you could somehow transfer a cycle.

I don't have any other tanks :(, and the filters probably wouldn't work in the plastic tubs I have.

How is the betta acting now that it has been removed? If it starts acting normally within an hour or so of being removed I suspect the container. A really ill fish like your moor needs the least amount of stressors which means a cycled tank or twice daily huge water changes on the QT.

Can you attach a filter to the bucket and put him in there ?

I agree with Amy that cycled is a priority. Your baby is so weak right now the slightest thing will push him over the edge. Stabilty is really key. That means no tiny fluctuations in pH and temp (as inevitably with constant water changes).

Can you attach a filter to the bucket and put him in there ?

I agree with Amy that cycled is a priority. Your baby is so weak right now the slightest thing will push him over the edge. Stabilty is really key. That means no tiny fluctuations in pH and temp (as inevitably with constant water changes).

I might be able to, but I would have to put him back in the colander or he would get sucked up onto the filter he is so weak. Also....I would have to take the filter off my betta tank to do that. I have probably already done too many changes on him. I originally got him out of the big tank because he got so sick both times I put him back in there. I also put him in the betta tank earlier because I thought a cycled tank would be good for him (without the betta iin there). But I took him back out because it has the same rocks and plants, and I thought that might be making him sicker.

My three goldfish in the main tank are acting unusually hyper and swimming around fast.

:(

Edited by Summer4

How is the betta acting now that it has been removed? If it starts acting normally within an hour or so of being removed I suspect the container. A really ill fish like your moor needs the least amount of stressors which means a cycled tank or twice daily huge water changes on the QT.

No he is not better, but he did go back into the tank the black moor had just been in. I figured since my other three goldfish didn't get sick the betta wouldn't either. Obviously I am a really bad fish owner :(. My black moor got sick before he was ever in that container though. Actually.....I put him in it after he originally got sick, and he got better and was all swimming around. Then he got sick when I put him back into the main tank.

Edited by Summer4