Brown Algae removal from plants : )

tithra

I have been battling brown algae for a month or so now and have had the hardest time finding something to remove it with without damaging plant leaves etc. I tried my finger (didn't come off easily), a toothbrush, filter padding etc.

Last night I decided to try q-tips and it worked like a charm. This probably isn't a new idea, but I figured I would share anyway. I cleaned all my plants, no leaves were damaged in the process, and the q-tip is small so I could easily clean in the crevices of a leaf and clean thin leaves (like my retrospiralis crypts). :)

I am now brown algae free (for a couple days at least :rofl)

IMG_2907.jpg

If you split the light time so that you have like a four hour lights off in the mid day that well go a long way to helping keep the algea away.

If you split the light time so that you have like a four hour lights off in the mid day that well go a long way to helping keep the algea away.

Thanks Hidr! I actually don't keep my lights on at all during the day currently... the tank is right under a sunny window. I only run the tank lights at night, usually for about 6 hours (perhaps I need to be running them during the day as well?). It's all very confusing to me. But my tank has gone through a lot of changes recently (upgraded the tank, moved it to a different spot in the room, added gravel then removed gravel etc.), I'm kind of hoping that the algae is just due to all this change and it will settle down on its own :) (one can hope, right?)

I'm betting it will settled down now that there won't be any new changes. But in the mean time, good idea about the q-tips. I got rid of my plants because the brown algae was driving me crazy on them.