Sign in to follow this  
Silverxphoenix

Oh Fish! :(

Just yesterday, i got 4 guppies for my finally cycled tank. My 'baby betta' from petsmart didn't like them and harassed them, but i decied he was much to small to do any damage so i let things pan out and after he calmed down a good bit. So i wanted to wait a day to see if he gets the point that they are not bettas. As i was observeing i noticed my oto has a mysterious white spot, which after much fret decided the previous betta who is now in a 5 gallon must have bit.

My fiance during the same day begged me to get him a molly and keep her in my tank until it cycles...

Well today my baby betta is calm and roaming like before ignoring the 3 guppies (new tank syndrome got one) and as i was observing i noticed 10 moving objects in my tank, they are molly babies from a fish i didn't even want in my tank! D:

I just thought i would share and ask does anyone have any recommendations on caring for these fry? :(

Welcome to why I will never buy a female livebearer.

Sorry, no advice. :rofl

Livebearers can usually eat normal flake food. Just crush it up to a fine powder.

Well, keep one thing in mind. You got a carnivorous betta in the same tank with a bunch of baby mollies. I doubt they are going to last very long...

And I second Elli. That's why I never buy female livebearers :rofl

yes the reason I decided against the livebearers this time around in my new tropical tank ;) let nature take it's course i'm sure your betta will thank you ;)

Edited by shellbell4ever

Yeah, with livebearers if you only want a single one then you are best getting a male (also male mollies have really cool sailfins!).

I wouldnt worry too much about Otos breeding as this is very rare and difficult to succeed with in captivity, so even if they show signs they probably wont follow it through - Otos are almost unanimously wild caught because of this.

Like others said the fry may well get eaten by the other fish you mentioned, even the mother Molly might eat them. How big is the tank? unless it is very small I think your cycle should survive this as they fry will not have huge bioloads straight away - you're just gonna have to seperate out any male fry that survive and keep an eye on the original girl Molly as they can birth several litters of fry with stored sperm.

Well, even tho Comet and the guppies are trying VERY hard to make a snack out of these babies, the babies are very good at running away. Plus, Comet, who is really the only one trying, his mouth is smaller than a guppies right now :( and the fry are the length of his head. So other than a slow to react baby or simply dieing from stress i do not see these numbers culling much. *facepalm* At the very least I had already contacted some of the local pet shops around here and they said they'd buy my excess.

Oh and the female wasn't a mistake. My fiance wanted to breed his mollies just as a supplement fund to having aquariums. And don't get me wrong i love watching the fry grow up... JUST NOT IN MY TANK! lol

Mostly likey the Otos well not give you any babies. They very rarely mate in captivity that is why you can only find wild caught in the stores.

When I had guppy babies all I did was make sure I give them food small enough they can eat.

Yep guppies can be quite tenacious. I recently gave away nearly all of my guppies when I moved. I kept 2 males and four females. I'm down to one adult male now, but recently notice a male and a female fry swimming around the floating plants. This is in a tank with tiger barbs, mollies, platys, and a couple of tetras. Even with all the competition, I still managed to get at least 2 new fry. Who knows if more are still hiding in the plants. I should also mention that these guys are all decended from the original pair of guppies I bought about 5 years ago. Given how many times I've done a guppy give away, I'm almost thinking the only way to get rid of them for good is to nuke the tank. Not that I would want to do that anytime soon :)