Sign in to follow this  
tinca

Goldfish has a large lump on his side

Hi all,

I have a goldfish that has a large lump on his side which he has had for just over a month now. If you can follow this link you will be able to see 2 photos and what I have done for him so far.

http://freespace.vir...nuary-2012.html

Thank you to anyone who can help

Best regards Keith

Hi Keith,

Could you please answer the questions below? Thanks!

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hi dnalex,

I did not post the information you are requesting as I did not think that it would apply to this particular fish, but here is the information,

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level =0

• * Nitrite Level =0

• * Nitrate level =25ppm (this is straight from the tap)

• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) =7.5

• * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) =7.5

• Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? =Salifert

• * Water temperature? =80F

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? =4gals running 4 weeks

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? =no filter fitted

• * How often do you change the water and how much? =every 4th day

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? =50%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? =1 at 2 ½ inches

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? = Prime

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? = once a day soaked flakes

• * Any new fish added to the tank? =no

• * Any medications added to the tank? =Yes “Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria”

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. =only the above medication for the past 5 weeks, no other treatment or additives.

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? =large lump

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? = looks to be dying at this moment.

I hope that this will help

Best regards Keith

hi keith,

i read all the information on the other page as well as here, good work in qt'ing the fish.. how old is he? and can i ask, did the bump come to a head that may have burst at all? on pic #1 i see some greyish matter kinda loose off the fish..

i read that Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria does not have an antibiotic agent, therefore, unless you're treating a parasite, i recommend you stop.. it's also known that this medication does state on the box "harmful to aquatic organisms. may cause long term adverse effects in the aquatic environment".. also the active ingredients indicate that they can crash your cycle.

as you have not determined what this lump is yet, it's best that you cease treatment with this mediaction (as it appears that after 5 weeks, it's not doing any good)

i recommend you replace carbon back into the filter(s) and remove all meds, or, do a complete back to back 2 x 70% wc..

is there salt in the water at the moment?

what medication to do you have available to you that is given orally and that has an antibiotic in it?

Tinca probably has the same problem that I have, being in the UK means most goldfish medication is unavailable here. We appear to have no antibiotics available to buy over the counter.

stakos,

thank you for your post.

I still have no idea what the lump is, but as the fish in question is more dead than alive I have stopped using the Interpet treatment. To my knowledge the bump did not come to a head.

I will carry out 2 back to back 70% water changes as you advise.

There is no salt in the water, and I will have to order from the Internet (api aquarium salt).

I have NO other medication available, at least not that I know of, that would be suitable for fish.

ninzah

you are correct when you say that we appear to be light on medication here in the UK.

thank you for involving yourself with my problem.

Best regards Keith

is it possible for you to perhaps order the meds online? i will see if i can find what is available to you as in antibiotics and make the recommendation here. MetroMeds if you can get them as the Metronidazole being the active ingredient treats parasite and infections that require antibiotic.

is it possible for you to perhaps order the meds online? i will see if i can find what is available to you as in antibiotics and make the recommendation here. MetroMeds if you can get them as the Metronidazole being the active ingredient treats parasite and infections that require antibiotic.

I think there is one place in America which may ship abroad but I imagine this will take a fair bit of time and money. They just aren't available here, even as an online order.

I think you can order from the fish sempai in Canada. It IS expensive, though.

Is this correct?

"* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? =4gals running 4 weeks"

Yeah, if you check the link in the first post he says he moved him from the main tank into a 4G QT.

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/gbpeur/itemdesc.asp?ic=EB550&eq=&Tp=

Hi, I found above website which lists Tri Sulfa antibiotic tablets and will ship to the UK. Is that any help? The shipping costs do almost double the price (15 tablets for 8 pounds + shipping cost is 6 pounds) though and delivery time is between 10-14 days.

Hope your goldfish gets better soon!

Found another one

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/food/medication_and_vitamins/remedies/30205

This is a UK based site seems cheaper and shorter delivery times

Please note I'm not commenting on the effectiveness of above product or the one I posted before! I'm not sure of ingredients / effectiveness!

Hi all,

just a sad update. My poor goldfish passed away during the night, which gives me very mixed feelings. On the one hand I am glad that has passed on as he has been sick now for some 6 weeks and has struggled gamely for his life, and on the other hand, it fills me with great sadness.

I still do not know what the lump was, or what caused it, and even more worryingly is what should I do if it ever happens again to any other of the fish in that particular aquarium.

I think that the cause was due to what I consider to be the inadequate way they were kept before I had them. A 300 litre aquarium, with 21 goldfish and only having one 3 gallon bucket of water changed every other week. I can't imagine the parameters of the water, or the long term damage to the fish.

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to you all.

Best regards Keith

That's very sad. Hopefully you get things figured out and don't have any more losses. :(

Oh no, so sorry to hear he passed away.

Best,

Isabella.

I'm sorry, Keith!