Okay, my oto Skitters has this nasty white spot in his head! I do not know the diffrence between a white sore and a ich! No other spots are on his body just this one. There was a particularly terratorial betta that was in the 10 gallon with him and its possible its a sore from a bite. D: I'm freaking out cause i don't know if i need to treat for ich or not and im worried Skat (his female oto mate) will lose her compainion. Sorry if my picture is bad but the white place on the green yellowish body is all that i'm seeing. All other fish are okay for now, what do i do? D:

1000378s.jpg

I moved the topic to the best place to get help. If you could answer all the question at the top by coping it and pasting it so we can see what is going on with the tank it would help us help you.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0 ppm (just added new fish before i noticed)
  • * Nitrite Level 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level 5 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
  • * Water temperature? 73
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 2 months, 10 gallons
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquatech 10-15 gal
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every month 25%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 30 days and 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 otos, 1 small betta fry, 4 guppies
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? dechlorination, bacteria, and metal remover
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? flakes twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 4 new guppies, added before i noticed the spot
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White spot on oto
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? all acts normally

Any more spots today?

Oto's in my experience are very hard to keep alive. They are supper sensitive to water quality. Even though yours sounds fine I would still do a large water change.there are stuff in the water we just don't test for) If no more spots have shown up and no one else has any I would assume it is a sore and your best bet is to keep nice clean water. With the otos in there I would not salt at this time if it turns out to be ich then you well need to risk it but not yet.

Good luck

I agree with Hidr. Otos can be a challenge. How long have you had this one? My experience has been that if you make it past the first few weeks with them, they'll do well.

It doesn't look like ich btw, are there any more spots since you posted?

No more spots this morning, hes swimming behind Skat as always. I've had these otos for a month now, they are plump, alert, and active the only thing wrong is this spot. I did add a new plant a few days back, does anyone think i should precautionary treat for fungus? The plants were those half dead petco plants in the tubes (They were on sale and they always come back and grow with some TLC :3).

I wouldn't do any type of precautionary treatment. In the future you can quarenteen the plants before adding them, but medication as a caution is never a good idea.

Glad to hear the spot is gone :)