Not eating, floating at bottom of tank.

plaid423

My poor fish had a terrible case of fin rot. I put her in a hospital tank and cleared it up with Api TC. she had also gotten sceptic, but that passed with the meds. She looked so much better but still refused to eat. Tested her water frequently, and all was perfect. Using Prime conditioner. Today she is floating at the bottom of the tank and slight red to her bottom fins. Still will not touch food. Tried peas, brine shrimp, nothing. I did a very large water change. I have been adding salt to her water. There is an air stone in the tank and the carbon filter is out of the filter. I have so many meds here, but am scarred to put them in, I have no idea what is happening to her.On her side there is what looks to be the beginning of a sore and her eye seems a little cloudy, like a tuft of cotton is on it, but it is super small. Help me please. I love her and will try anything to help her. Water temp is super low, like 62 degrees. Thank you. I have Pimafix, Melafix, API Fungus Cure, Paraguard, Prazipro, Maracyn and Maracyn 2, TC Tetracycline, and many more things here in the fish medicine cabinet. I do not want to use meds if it can be avoided and I do not want to over medicate her, but I always feel like they get sick on the holidays or 2 a.m. and I try and be prepared. Please do not think that I am throwing a bunch of stuff into the water, I am not. Thank you for any help and advice, I will try and post pics.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stop any meds. Up the temp to about 70 but do it slowly. Do a huge water change about 75% and use aquarium salt. Test the water and share the results.

All the advice I would give until you completely fill out the form at the top so we can better figure out what is going on.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level .25
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level between 0 and 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? test kit is the API for Fresh water master kit
  • * Water temperature? 62 Degrees F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon and for about a month
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra whisper ex 20
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? It was every other day and about 40%, but now(yesterday and today and here after) I am changing it every day and about 60%
  • (I also have some Neutral Regulator at home but I do not know if I should use it.)

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Changed about 60% of water 8 hours ago and changed about the same amount the day before
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 in a ten gallon hospital tank
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and aquarium salt (1/2 tsp per gallon)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes, four to five days a week, but she is not eating right now, tried brine shrimp and was not interested in that as well.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Finished course of API TC Tetracycline
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Fish had fin rot, started with Maracyn and Maracyn 2 but did not help, switched to API TC tetracycline and it did help, had to do two courses, with water changes to halt the fin rot and clear up the red streaks, which are now coming back. Have added salt, (1/2 tsp per gallon,) while making water changes. Today I did about a 60-70% water change, added salt and Prime to water and that is it. There is an air stone in the tank and no charcoal filter in the filter right now.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood streaks on lower fins, slight red dot on side, looks like a wound is starting, and the left eye has a tiny bit of fuzz on it She has not eaten in over a week. Fins are frayed still from the fin rot. Does not seem to be getting worse.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She is staying at the bottom of the tank and not eating She is hanging out by the intake of the filter and seems to be pulled towards it before she swims a little bit away from it.

I think it is bad water. .Keep up the daily water changes. That tank is not cycled. Can you get some filter media from a tank that is to put in the 10 gallon filter? I really don't have any advice other then to keep doing the water changes. OH you could try some different foods flakes are not really a good food for goldfish. Maybe try some blood worms soaked in a little garlic?

Good luck

Keeping up with the water changes, temp of water is now at 70 and it really seems to be helping. How much salt should I be adding? Is 1/2 tsp per gallon not enough? How should I address her the cloudiness (for lack of a better term, it is almost like a tiny piece of cotton on her eye) on her eye or will it resolve itself with the water changes? Assuming she gets better, how long should I wait before I put her back into the big tank?

And also thank you so much for the help and advice.

OK So this morning is not good!! She is much more lethargic and has a red spot now forming on the other side of her body as well!!! I am going to do another water change, but I am at a loss. Should I do water changes twice a day? Her levels in the water are good. what about the salt? am I putting in too much? Maybe not enough? I am really scarred she is not going to make it. Thank you for any help!!

Ok yes you need to keep up the water changes cause you need to be at zero Ammonia. Hope someone can come along and back me up(or make it right cause my fish rarely get sick.) but looks llike you need to treat with your Maracyn and Maracyn 2. Can you use some of the media from your other tank to help jump start the cycle on your qt tank?

• Supporter

ok.. i don't see fin rot, just deterioration of fins due to bad quality water. also, i think that the red spots are either bacterial related and nitrate/ammonia burns.. the cloudiness over her eye can be due to the water where it concerns the PH.. fish can handle very well an increase in immediate PH but an immeidate drop in PH can have some very serious effects.

there are many natural ways you can treat PH..

one is by buying a product called Seachem Alkaline Buffer or Seachem Gold Buffer... you can add this to your water to increase the PH level to match the tank PH level prior to adding..

with the ammonia/nitrates, you need to cycle your tank. the only way to do this with a fish already in the tank is to do 1 or 2 daily water changes of 70%

i would also be using a heater to raise the temperature of the tank to 72-75F.. goldfish prefer warmer temp than what she's currently in.. it helps increase their motabolism so that they digest faster... at the temps you have her in, most meds will not work properly and feeding should be minimal with feeding every other day.

immediately, you will need to change the following..

70% water changes once or twice per day (for now, these water changes will sort your PH closer to your tap. but unfortunately 6.8 is too low for the fish to be happy.. to acidy. so, buy your PH buffer and have it ready to increase PH in tank and new water. (this process will assist the cycling of your filter)

stop any other medications (including salt) for the next 2 days.. then gradually introduce salt again.. salt accelerates the toxicity of ammonia in the tank. so if you have slight traces of ammonia and you use salt, you can be very sure that ammonia will become more toxic throughout that day and continue to become more toxic until the next waterchange.

your best friends here are : prime, PH buffer and as many water changes as possible.

I agree with stakos completely! There is no evidence of bacterial infections on the edges of the ripped fins. Clean water is the best treatment right now, as discussed above. Eventually, when water quality is perfect, you could add salt.

Thanks guys for your input. I would do what they are suggesting and ignore my last advice.

Good luck

I wouldn't ignore it completely! It may very well be that the Maracyns are necessary to treat the sores on the body, etc., but I hope that clean water will be a good first step.

Didn't your parrent threaten to stop the car and give you a spanking when going on a road trip? If just figured everyone knew that one. lol :no:

Sorry back on topic. :BTT

Keeping up with water changes, taking out the salt. Temp is up to 70 degrees F. She is so lethargic. she just floats along the bottom and then kind of bounces off the sides of the tank. Her mouth is starting to turn red as well. I did put some Nutrfin Cycle into the tank. I am doing two water changes a day, and I will not put in any salt for a few days. The red on her sides os getting worse and her fins are getting more red in them as well. I am trying to be patient,but I am SO worried!! Thanks for all the help. I really need it.

Can you upload a pic of this? I think that if it has gotten to this point, it would be best to take all salt/treatments out of the water by a big water change, and then dose in the Maracyns.

However, I would wait for Stakos to weigh in.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

She is not feeling well at all. Just did another water change, no salt, buffer, Prime. Now she has this whiteness around her mouth and her tail is getting some white on it too and disintegrating more. PLease help. I did go out and get Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Maroxy just in case I should use it later in the evening adn all the stores are closed. Thank you again.

• Supporter

if increased water changes is not reversing/stopping the problem then we need to consider that it is bacteria related and meds should commence..

plaid- the fact that we are needing to begin meds really indicates something is not right in your tank.. bacteria is very serious and the source of where it's coming from needs to be found or your fish will continue to become sick and possibly die.

everytime we medicate a goldfish, it has been found to shorten their lifespan, using medications should really only ever be the last resort. if you feel that you've given the water changes enough time to either stop or begin reversing the symptoms and it is not working, then we will trust your judgement.

all i know is that i see the condition of the water when you post your pictures and the water looks foul to me.

i have no experience with Maracyn.. so if Alex or anyone that does would be happy to assist you with this drug, they are more than welcome too..

i would expect that if you are very serious in returning this fish back to good health, you will find what the problem is in the main tank and work towards fixing it. as well as your uncycled filter, we now have bacteria.

good luck, i will continue to look out for this thread re updates and help where i can.

*please remember that even though the Meds option will most likely be taken here, you must, must, must daily waterchange because you've an uncycled filter. must.

What I meant for the water change is that there is no salt in the new water, but I did add Prime and Seachem Buffer. Sorry, it seemed like I did not add any of those things. She is on the bottom of the tank just floating around in the current. Her fins are clamped now as well. So scarred for her.

• Supporter

I can't help with the Maracyns. The only Maracyn I've used is Maracyn 2, and only once :(

alex, do you think an antibiotic fed orally would be best here? i have a feeling MetroMeds will probably work better/faster and would appear to be milder than the Maracyns?...