Eggs!

lindsey elliott

Today I woke up to my tank full of eggs! Im pretty excited because this is my first time with goldies spawning! BUT they just wont leave Pearl(my female) alone! they are chasing her around the tank biting her and i feel so bad for her. Is there anything i can do or will they eventually stop? :idont

A colander is a good start! Once they hatch though they may slip through the holes or get sucked out by the big fish :o

If you can set up a fry tank for them they would probably have a better chance!! You can do it!! :D We can help you!

In my experience, the fish will eat them. Although if there are plenty of hiding places a few may well survive! The closer a tank is to a pond environment (lotsa space, plants and green water) the higher the chances of fry survival in the main tank from what I've noticed :)

Thanks for the replies but since i only put a few eggs into the colander only two hatched and i think they may have fallen through the holes :no: . It was a cool learning experience. And now next time ill know what to do with the help from you guys!

Make a few spawning mops and next time when they do it pull the mops out and put them in another tank to hatch. That has been the best way i have found for collecting eggs.

• Admin

Well its like yarn balls in a since. This way when the female sprays eggs they will stick to that and not the tank or other material. Once an egg sticks its like super glue and you cant get it off. :(

Yes they are likes superglue!!!! :) Really quite amazing.

Lindsey if your fish has released eggs once, she is almost sure to do so again. If you can't buy spawning mops, any ornament in the tank will do fine.

I have used driftwood, plants, mossballs and tank safe river rocks. Eggs will attach to any of these and they can be easily lifted out and into pH and temp matched water in a separate fry tank. The great advantage is that you are also transferring some bbs!! Beneficial bacteria will also be on the decor and a fry tank needs hardly any at all to kick start a cycle since at first the fry produce so little waste.

Well it happened again this morning! So I set up my 10 gal qt tank and put the male and female in for awhile and now its full of eggs. I didnt have a sponge filter but i ordered one from amazon that should arrive in the next few days. Im just a little worried because it looks like some of the eggs might be getting fungus. I read that methleyne blue would work to fix this but im not sure. :idont So anyways I figured id give this whole fry thing another try. Any advice?

Yes, you can and should use methylene blue.

For now, you don't need a sponge filter. Lower the water line to less than 6 inches to ease pressure on the eggs and the soon to be hatched fry. Right now, a bubble stone should be sufficient.

Do you think you can get methylene blue? Your best bet is the local fish shops, not the chain stores.

:Congrats:

I personally like to use hydrogen peroxide on the eggs for fungus. IMHO I think the blue stuff stinks. Peroxide is much better, cheaper and easier to find. Here is a link that shows how to make spawning mops http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Leong_Spawning_Mop.html

I use about 10 drops per gallon of HP. It seems to work much better for me. It took me 3 tries to get my cory eggs to hatch. The first 2 times i use MB and they got fungus and none hatched. The 3rd time with HP I got well over 100 fry! With HP you have to dose it everyday because it will dissipate.

I already used the MB. Hopefully it will work but if not i have HP on hand now too. None of the eggs have hatched yet, so I might have been to late to add the MB. I will keep an eye on them and look out for changes. Thanks!

How long has it been. Mine have been hatching at around 72 hours and they free swim almost instantly! My water is 70-72.

It has been a little over 24 hours and im not using a heater so the water is room temp. In some of the eggs I think I see black dots but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. So im guessing after 72 hours none of the eggs will hatch?

give them 4 or 5 days before you count them out. I sometimes have a few late ones. Most hatch around 72 hours though.