Sign in to follow this  
tarynator

It's been a while!

So I haven't been here in about a year! I kind of abandoned this place after I lost Mr. Poh back in January... he was having swim bladder/floaty issues, which resulted in him getting caught in the intake tube and it was just all downhill from there. He wasn't able to make it through the winter :( I miss him a lot!

But I still have my blue oranda, he's had so many names (Bilbo, Blue...) but now he's just referred to as Bobby Fischer. He's HUGE compared to when I last logged on!! And he won't stop growing!! But anyway, since the loss of Mr. Poh last year, he has been by himself in a 35 gallon tank. I've sort of been looking for a tank mate for him.. but I'm also wondering if this is a risky idea. I've been looking around for a calico fantail like I had before, but I haven't found any that really catch my eye. What make for good tank mates for orandas? I don't know how much smaller I should go, or if I should find fish of a similar size. I feel like if I got one as big as my current fish, then I'd need a larger tank. But at the same time I can't help but feel bad that he's been all alone in there for so long. Maybe I should forget the idea and just leave it as it is? He seems happy.

Another thing! I'm feeding him Nutrafin Max sinking pellets. Says on the bottle that they are colour enhancers BUT I've noticed that he's kind of turning a bit brown on his fins. I don't want his beautiful iridescent silver colouring to disappear, so I was hoping someone here has had a Blue before and what I should be feeding him to keep his colours?

I'm ranting here though :P I'll have to post some updated pictures for you guys.

Hello. Welcome back! :)

If Bobby Fischer is growing lots, I would just leave him as is in the tank. When a fish has been by him/herself for a while, it is a risk bringing new fish, even a very healthy one because the stress of having a new tank mate could bring out some dormant problems. I say just leave him the space and let him get as big as he can :)

I have two blues, and whether I use color enhancing foods or not, they don't seem to be affected at all.

Looking forward to pics :)

Hello and welcome back!! :)

I am guessing that the color enhancing food is causing the orange to come through, which happens a lot to blue fish. Switching to a not color enhancing pellet might help him keeping the blue, but it's no guarantee!

Is there such thing as a non-colour enhancing pellet!? Haha.

Here's a few pics for now. I can't find my camera, so here's some bad quality cell pictures! Its darn near impossible to get a good photo, he won't stop moving until I walk away :rolleyes:

imag0055il.jpg

My housemates went a little crazy with those Window Writer things :P

imag0060qoa.jpg

imag0065co.jpg

What a pretty fish! :)

Foods that are color enhancers contain things like beta carotene, which bring out oranges and reds etc., so just look for foods that don't specifically advertise that.

Bobby is beautiful! :D

He is beautiful! I am of no help when it comes to keeping a blue fish blue...my blue fish are white and orange now lol

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :wub: People think I'm crazy because every time I walk by the aquarium and have to stop and say how he is the most beautiful fishy in all the land and make crude kissy noises, bahhaa. And oh god, ashlee.. you're scaring me.

He's freaking gorgeous!

Thanks guys :wub: People think I'm crazy because every time I walk by the aquarium and have to stop and say how he is the most beautiful fishy in all the land and make crude kissy noises, bahhaa. And oh god, ashlee.. you're scaring me.

So glad I'm not the only one that does that. :lol

Bobby Fischer is gorgeous. :heart

Awww! Bobby is such a cutie! Love that colouring! :wub:

wow! he's GORGEOUS! i didnt know goldfish could be blue! that is so cool! is it rare or something? O_o

Big Bobby is beautiful. :D