Sign in to follow this  
JamesArya

Eye "popping" out, and it's now full of blood...

Hi,

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my Goldfish's eye is "popping" out, and it has a bruise below the eye, but then the eye started to bleed, and now the eye is full of blood. The eye pops out even more every day. When I noticed the eye problem, I moved this fish to a quarantine tank.

Here's a video on what's happening http://youtu.be/WR_SsRKoHmE

I added 3 Albino Red-finned Sharks (I had no idea that they were sharks), my local fish store didn't even know what they are. They said that it's okay to put those fish with my goldfish.

I have 4 Goldfish (1 Comet, 1 Fantail, 2 Eggfish) in my tank (including the sick one) and 3 Albino red-finned sharks (for 2 days, then I moved those Sharks to my pond). My tank is fairly small (31320cm3 = 8.27 gallons), I do know that it's cramp but my little brother keeps on buying more fish.

The sick fish (Eggfish) has a "brother" that I bought together with the sick fish, and he's doing great. The sick fish doesn't swim as much as he used to, and he keeps on staying on the bottom of the tank. He also eats a lot less.

I don't know the water pH, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia (since they don't sell test kits in Indonesia), but I use bore water (well water) purified through some UV tubes and filters. I added water conditioner, plant fertilizers, anti-stress zyme, and some salt. In my quarantine tank, I added water conditioner, anti-stress zyme, and salt.

I feed my Goldfish Goldfish flake food, and frozen bloodworm every week or so. I rarely do water changes (like 25% 2X a month) because I have a decent filter. The tank have been running for ~5 years, but recently (~2 weeks ago), I changed everything (substrate, water, added plants).

To simplify things

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

- (Where I live, they don't sell the kit)

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

- (Where I live, they don't sell the kit)(I use bore water)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

~23 degrees Celsius = ~73.4 degrees Fahrenheit

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

8.27 Gallons, running for 5 years, but changed everything 2 weeks ago

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

I don't know the brand, 180 gallons /hour internal filter + DIY filter (sponge, cotton floss, ceramic noodles)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

25% twice a month

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change

5 days ago

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

4 (1 fantail, 1 comet, 2 eggfish) + 3 Albino Red-finned sharks (I removed them)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Water conditioner (starter), Anti-stress zyme, Fertellizers, Salt

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

Goldfish flake 1x/day + frozen bloodworm 1x/week

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

3 Albino red-finned sharks

[*]Any medications added to the tank

Salt

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

- (they never got sick)

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Frayed fins

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Fish eats significantly less, Fish stays on the bottom and swims less often

Pics:

http://photobucket.com/Goldfisheyeproblempleasehelp

Hello. Did you notice if there were a lot of chasing in the tank? Are there ornaments or substrates that could have contributed to this? This, along with lots of scales missing on the fish, makes me think that this came about because of physical injury. However, there is quite of bit of rotting of the dorsal fin.

Without knowing what the parameters are, I can't really offer much other than to say to isolate the fish and do daily water changes, since fresh clean water is the best for supporting healing.

I think you already realize this, but that tank is drastically too small for the number of fish you have. The goldfish alone really need about 50 gallons. Is there any way you could get another tank, or even a large plastic tub to transfer some of the fish into? With those conditions, you need to be doing daily water changes, but even then maintaining good water quality will be impossible I'm afraid.

As for the eye, it's hard to say the exact cause. I think the first issue that needs to be addressed is the overcrowding.

Exactly. If this tank is really eight gallons you don't even have room for one goldfish.

This looks like a physical/tramatic injury and I wonder if it happened as a result of overcrowding.. I'd make sure there's nothing the goldfish can bump into with that injured eye. Give the goldfish some melafix as a preventive med.

Those fish are very aggressive fish :(

It looks like the eye got attacked. The best thing right now is to make sure the water is in good condition. I wouldnt add anything unless it gets worse.

But please dont mix those two fish together :(

hello James,

welcome to koko's :) i am sorry that you're having a difficult time with your fish.

injuries like this pose 50/50% chance that the eye will stay or not. i have a fish with an injured eye, i managed to save the eye however it deflated (telescope goldfish) but it still functions and he can see through it :)

as others have mentioned, your set up is too small and this needs to be corrected, but first, we do require the correct readings for your water parameters as well as knowing if you can seperate your fish into a QT tank or tub..

i bring to your attention is your water parameters because for medication reasons, we really need to know what they are. ie, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and PH.. if possible, KH and GH. if you can run some water down to your local LFS, they should be able to test it for you.

without knowing what these readings are (their exact numbers as "fine" is not good enough) any medication we recommend can cause more harm (if not death) than good.

Edited by stakos

Hello. Did you notice if there were a lot of chasing in the tank? Are there ornaments or substrates that could have contributed to this? This, along with lots of scales missing on the fish, makes me think that this came about because of physical injury. However, there is quite of bit of rotting of the dorsal fin.

Without knowing what the parameters are, I can't really offer much other than to say to isolate the fish and do daily water changes, since fresh clean water is the best for supporting healing.

There were really no chasing, the Albino sharks was really unactive , and they stayed below all the time, but maybe they chased the goldfish when I wasn't looking. I have alot of ornaments (like rocks).

Thanks for the reply :)

I think you already realize this, but that tank is drastically too small for the number of fish you have. The goldfish alone really need about 50 gallons. Is there any way you could get another tank, or even a large plastic tub to transfer some of the fish into? With those conditions, you need to be doing daily water changes, but even then maintaining good water quality will be impossible I'm afraid.

As for the eye, it's hard to say the exact cause. I think the first issue that needs to be addressed is the overcrowding.

I'll try buying a bigger tank, or possibly a plastic pond. Thanks for the reply :)

Exactly. If this tank is really eight gallons you don't even have room for one goldfish.

I'll try buying a bigger tank, or possibly a plastic pond. Thanks for the reply :)

This looks like a physical/tramatic injury and I wonder if it happened as a result of overcrowding.. I'd make sure there's nothing the goldfish can bump into with that injured eye. Give the goldfish some melafix as a preventive med.

They don't sell medicines where I live (in Indonesia),

I'll try buying a bigger tank

It looks like the eye got attacked. The best thing right now is to make sure the water is in good condition. I wouldnt add anything unless it gets worse.

Yea, I threw those Albino Sharks in my pond... Thanks for the reply :)

hello James,

welcome to koko's :) i am sorry that you're having a difficult time with your fish.

injuries like this pose 50/50% chance that the eye will stay or not. i have a fish with an injured eye, i managed to save the eye however it deflated (telescope goldfish) but it still functions and he can see through it :)

as others have mentioned, your set up is too small and this needs to be corrected, but first, we do require the correct readings for your water parameters as well as knowing if you can seperate your fish into a QT tank or tub..

i bring to your attention is your water parameters because for medication reasons, we really need to know what they are. ie, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and PH.. if possible, KH and GH. if you can run some water down to your local LFS, they should be able to test it for you.

without knowing what these readings are (their exact numbers as "fine" is not good enough) any medication we recommend can cause more harm (if not death) than good.

I'll try buying the test kits when I travel overseas. Where I live, there's no LFS. I'll buy a bigger tank today for my other Goldfish.

Than You :)

They don't sell medicines where I live (in Indonesia),

I'll try buying a bigger tank

there are alternatives and we are happy to assist you with treatments, but we really need to know what your water parameters are before we can continue.

hello James,

I'll try buying the test kits when I travel overseas. Where I live, there's no LFS. I'll buy a bigger tank today for my other Goldfish.

you're very welcome.. is there any possibility that you can order them online? there are many sales on this time of the year and you could be saving yourself some money by online ordering.. aswell as getting results sooner so that we can help your fish

Opps, didn't check your location when I responded. So no fish medicines or treatments for injured fish?.

hello James,

you're very welcome.. is there any possibility that you can order them online? there are many sales on this time of the year and you could be saving yourself some money by online ordering.. aswell as getting results sooner so that we can help your fish

I'll try ordering them on ebay...

Opps, didn't check your location when I responded. So no fish medicines or treatments for injured fish?.

No, but I'll look on ebay

oh how i understand you frustrations at times like this James, I too do not have available to me the meds that are available in other countries. we cannot get medicines for our pets unless we pay a Vetenarian visit and they're often very pricy :(

because of the difficulties in obtaining meds here in Aus, i've/we've had to find alternative ways to treat, stil considered as medication, but milder and can take a little longer to heal, however, they are less harsh and i believe a better way to treat :)

we will run through all this with you when you recieve your water test kit and provide us with the necessary information.

best on luck with receiving your kit :)

oh how i understand you frustrations at times like this James, I too do not have available to me the meds that are available in other countries. we cannot get medicines for our pets unless we pay a Vetenarian visit and they're often very pricy :(

because of the difficulties in obtaining meds here in Aus, i've/we've had to find alternative ways to treat, stil considered as medication, but milder and can take a little longer to heal, however, they are less harsh and i believe a better way to treat :)

we will run through all this with you when you recieve your water test kit and provide us with the necessary information.

best on luck with receiving your kit :)

Thanks, ordered the test kit from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-FRESHWATER-MASTER-TEST-KIT-AQUARIUM-PHARMACEUTICAL-/370571092559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5647c2224f#ht_717wt_952), it will come in about a week.. :)

what awesome news :) i am really happy to learn that you've ordered it.. fantastic work :bighug

how's the fish doing?

what awesome news :) i am really happy to learn that you've ordered it.. fantastic work :bighug

how's the fish doing?

Thanks,

The fish is getting better, his eye started to shrink a bit since yesterday, and the blood in his eye is now almost gone... :)

I borrowed my uncle's pH reader (for swimming pools, I washed it thoroughly), and it says that the water's pH is 7.8

I'm really sorry, James. RIP :(

I wish there was something more we could have done to help :(

I am so sorry for your loss :( You tried hard, there just was no way :(

And tell your brother to stop buying fish for your tank. I am not trying ot be mean, but this problem could have possibly been avoided if the tank wasn't so extremely crammed. Try to upgrade to a much larger tank asap and rehome some of your less favorite fish. Sticking only with goldfish will help a lot :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yes. The eye looks to have been attacked.

I'm glad you could order the kit.

A Meth Blue/salt short bath/dip would help this heal if you are still worried and still see blood!

Good job anyway !!! :)

I will move this to diagnosis for farther discussion as it's no longer an emergency :)