Shubie's jaw shaped differently

DesigNerd

Perhaps an evolutionary trait? One of my shubies is shaped much differently then the rest. The main 3 are growing fast and distributing the weight evenly across their bodies in a nice, mostly oval pattern. My jawy shubie, Zon, the 4th fish of the tank seems to actually chew food instead of just sucking on it like the rest. He/she takes tiny bites and takes a long time eating food, therefor getting much less food then the others. Zon was once the 2nd biggest fish and now after a few months he/she is the smallest shubie.

I've also noticed that Zon's weight isn't distributing as nicely, the butt/lower back before the tail is narrow and pinched looking, while the head has a defined neck and skull shape. Zon is skinnier but not for lack of trying to eat, he's out there getting food and chewing it but since it takes so long to consume he get's less in general.

I'm thinking of getting some nutrients that dissolves in the water and absorbed in their scales. Has anyone ever tried that? I don't know what brands to look for. Also a note of concern, the other fish getting enormous while Zon catches up to a healthy weight with that method.

They were all born in Spring 2011 and measure between 3-5" in length including tail.

... so, anyone use any of those dissoluble nutrient packs?

That's the little kiddo, far right calico. This picture is about a month old or so. The others are slightly bigger now.

cuddlepuddle.jpg

I think the real disadvantage Zon has is his mouth is set lower on the head, pointed downwards instead of forwards and his mouth, when fully open, is only 1/2 - 1/3 the size of the other fish from the bunch.

Don't buy those vitamins/nutrients that dissolve in the water. Fish can't take up vitamins from the water, so it just ends up being a waste of money. You can try feeding some more nutritious food instead though. I would recommend Saki-Hikari. It's a really good sinking goldfish pellet, and the pellet size is very small. This might help him not have to chew so much, and then he might be able to eat more food.

I think your fish is probably just slightly deformed/malformed, and there probably isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Switching to the Saki-Hikari food (if you don't already use it, that is) might be a good idea though.

Thanks Sakura. I've been using that food interchanged with flakes and the occasional peas & bloodworms.

I did get some advice from the LFS lady who said that he's probably the runt of the litter and when I upgrade their tank size soon, to keep him isolated and feed him more so he can be the same size as them. Then reintroduce him when he can be a little more competitive.

Thanks Sakura. I've been using that food interchanged with flakes and the occasional peas & bloodworms. I did get some advice from the LFS lady who said that he's probably the runt of the litter and when I upgrade their tank size soon, to keep him isolated and feed him more so he can be the same size as them. Then reintroduce him when he can be a little more competitive.

For a change, this is some good advice from the LFS. What is the size of their current tank?

I'm a bit ashamed to say the size of their tank but it's only a 10 gallon. However, great news! I finally got them their new home, a whopping 75 gallon tank. I'm just starting the fixing up process and will post pictures of that when it's all done.

Thinking though, that it's such a large tank that the small jawed shubie would do better in it and grow maybe a tad faster than currently, with all the swimming around it'll build up a mighty hunger.

The deformation is from having flukes as a fry. They are often called parrot mouth. It is not genetic but rather developmental from having flukes while growing.

Edited by Ichthius

OMG! Well I have noticed they have a little itch but no noticable parasites or scales being strange. I think it's the size of the tank and not ich. I'm gonna be putting them in the larger tank in a few weeks when it's set up with other fish as well. I certainly don't want diseases passed around though. They don't flick very often, maybe only once a day.

Flukes are microscopic and unrelated to ich. If they have noticeable amounts of ich then you should be treating for it - if they still have it when you move them then you will infect the larger tank as well.

This is all separate from treating for flukes. I think that the point was that as a developing fry, the flukes caused this deformity. This fish may or may not have been treated for flukes since it was a fry but ich and tank size are unrelated.