Sign in to follow this  
blackxlilies

New fish mating

Hi everyone!

I'm Teddy and I have five fishies in a 55 gallon tank :) Sorry for not introducing my self yet, I've been lurking for about a month now and only registered a few days ago.

I came home today to my newest fish mating, there were little eggs all over the sand and plants. They've been at it on and off for the last two hours. I've collected a few eggs out of curiosity to see if they'll hatch and I'm letting the smaller fish eat the rest of the eggs. The black fishie has only been with me for 5 day and the white one I just got today (I'm not getting any more fish).

Is this something that they'll be doing often? Is it bad for the girl fishie? Should I just return the male to the fish store? I don't have a way of separating them, I don't have the space to set up another large tank. I'm not really looking to breed them, even though I know their babies would be adorable I just don't have the time or space to raise them :)

Thanks!

Wow. Beautiful orandas!

They won't do this all the time, but count on it to happen possibly several times a year.

I don't think you should return the male. He's beautiful! Just make sure that if the female is chased to total exhaustion, you can give her a rest by floating a colander in a tank and putting her inside. Letting them eat the eggs and vacuuming out the rest is the way to do it :)

And just keep an extra eye on your water params and I wouldn't feed for a couple of days. An extra water change is smart as well.

And just keep an extra eye on your water params and I wouldn't feed for a couple of days. An extra water change is smart as well.

Exactly!

Also, where are the rest of your fish? May we see them? :)

Thank you!! :)

For whatever reason when I started doing research on goldfish I read up on everything but breeding 'cause it never crossed my mind that I'd try to breed them of that they'd do it on their own (I didn't even think about trying to sex them) lol. So I had a mini freak out when I got home and found out my little black 'Miguel' was popping out eggs all over and my new 'cute white girl soon to be named' was a boy xD

They're the little orange guys hiding behind the rocks xD all the chasing commotion made them go "OMG I'm gonna go play invisible fishie now". They just started coming out to eat the eggs not too long ago, but I can't manage to get decent pictures :)

Don't feel bad. I have a girl named Bob and a boy named Sally. :P Your fish are gorgeous.

They are beautiful! I am envious of that red cap.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Ahaha that is a gorgeous redcap, and he sure is in love :D

The little guys are cute too!

As Alex said, if the chasing gets too much you can give either her or him a timeout in a floating colander, or even by using a divider :)

They are beautiful! I am envious of that red cap.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Thanks! :)

Ahaha that is a gorgeous redcap, and he sure is in love :D

The little guys are cute too!

As Alex said, if the chasing gets too much you can give either her or him a timeout in a floating colander, or even by using a divider :)

Thanks! I'm gonna make sure to get a tank divider for the future, just in case :)