Dwarf shrimps as occasional snack for goldfish? :(

edong86

I'm so sorry if I may offend some people here, but my friend recently offered to give me some dwarf shrimps for my extra 5 gallon tank since he has like hundreds.

I was thinking I'd take care of them and if they got a bit too plenty, that they could also serve as an occasional snack for my goldfish. Are they nutritional enough to help goldfish grow?

Did you feed them intentionally or just so happened to mix them up? Because if they had nutritional value, instead of spending on FBW or risking parasites through live bloodworms, I could just use the brine shrimps that multiply naturally. Hehe.

Edited by GFF

Well, what we're setting up atm is a dedicated shrimp tank (where we hope theyre gonna breed) and we are then gonna put any excess into our other tanks, we are hoping they will not be eaten, but we'll still have the other tank full of shrimp if they do get eaten.

IDK about the ethics of intentionally feeding shrimp to your fish, I guess its no different to buying more regular livefood really, and we all do that, I guess the only different is if you actually get attached to the shrimp :]

If I were you id at least keep the "best" of the shrimp and their offspring in your spare tank and set it up to care for them appropriately, and then perhaps move any unwanted offspring into the GF tank where they may or may not survive.

Well, a lot of shrimp are bred and sold to be live food. Ghost shrimp cost only 33 cent a piece for a reason. I personally feel too bad to feed live food, but I'm a whimp and when the shrimp looks at me with its goggly eyes, I can't feed it to anyone :rofl

But other than that, they surely won't be bad to feed to your fish. Just find out which type shrimp exactly they are :)

Thank you guys. Haha Fang, the shrimps don't seem to convey much emotion to me so I think it will be fairly easy for me. Do you think that these shrimp can substitute for say, bloodworms in terms of nutritional value? I'll be picking up the shrimps maybe within the following week or so.I'll keep you guys updated!

I guess thatd depend on how well the shrimp were kept/fed. I think healthy shrimp should be just as good if not better than bloodworm for a fish to eat. theyd presumably be full of protein like BW, but also contain calcium in their shells too. Obviously if the shrimp arent thriving they will be poorer in nutrition.

Alot of fish eat small crustaceans as their staple diet so id imagine theres gotta be a good reason for that.

This is a really weird way for me to think about shrimp as I keep them as pets haha :]

Haha I guess its like me considering feeding my goldies to an arowana I guess. I'm not yet sure as to the species of the shrimp, but my friend says they don't grow to be bigger than an inch. I have a feeling though that once I start keeping these shrimps, that I'll soften up and get attached. Hahaha.

I'm going to do my own research, but just to confirm, these shrimps don't really need filtration right? More of just oxygen? And I plan to provide a little driftwood or two.

I think sponge filters on the airpump outlet is what alot of shrimp breeders do.

If youre gonna keep them in numbers and/or want them to breed theyd need filtration, as they arent likely to breed in poor water and can be sensitive to toxins in water. But they dont have a huge bioload so a sponge filter should be plenty :]