Sign in to follow this  
rhorizon74

Jungle anti parasite food with praziquantel

Hi,

I have heard of treating praziquantel as a preventative against flukes. Jungle has a anti-parasite food product, which they clai has praziquantel.

My fish aren't showing any signs yet, but was wondering will this be a good product as a prevention against flukes.

This seems to be a cheap"er" option to buying praziquantel from the web. But is it as effecctive.

I wanted to put a link on ebay to this product so folks could look at it (but wasnt sure if the rules of the forum prohibited that).

Thank you

Edited by rhorizon74

The Jungle medicated pellets are not designed to get rid of flukes, which are external. You will need to put Praziquantel in the water.

yes indeed. Flukes hatch out all over the tank and fish and the small amount of prazi in Jungle AP is for internal flukes not the majority which are external :)

Waterborn prazi is necessary for fluke clearance.

Jungle does make a dissolving tablet that has prazi, but it also has other meds so you are better to buy pure prazi.

I just want to add that I would steer clear of the Jungle dissolving tablets like Chrissy already mentioned. Those are really harsh since they contain other meds as well, and they will kill the beneficial bacteria in your filters.

Edited by Sakura

I just want to add that I would steer clear of the Jungle dissolving tablets like Chrissy already mentioned. Those are really harsh since they contain other meds as well, and they will kill the beneficial bacteria in your filters.

I've used them in the past without crashing the cycle, but they aren't something I recommend either. I used them when I couldn't get prazi in it's pure form anywhere. But it's never a good idea to add unnecessary meds :(

I've used them in the past without crashing the cycle, but they aren't something I recommend either. I used them when I couldn't get prazi in it's pure form anywhere. But it's never a good idea to add unnecessary meds :(

Oh, that is good to know! The only time I've ever used them, it crashed the cycle, so I was just going from my one experience with it. :)

True I have seen Maracyn2 crash tanks, yet I used it one time in my old 30 gallon tank and it didnt crash. Im wondering if your tank doesnt have enough BB's that some meds will crash :)

I think so Koko, or if it's a small-ish filter.

Yeah that could be too, cause my 30 at that time had the Eheim 2027pro and the Penguin 350 filter on that tank :yikes Maybe thats why it didnt crash. Oh and also at that time I had gravel in there too. So I think it had alot of places for BB's to live :thumb: