Help me plan my first goldfish home :)

platypus22

:bye2: I've been wanting to start keeping fancy goldfish for a while now and I've been a lurker on this site for a bit. That said, I've been trying to figure out what exactly I wanted to do and I thought maybe I could get some insight from some of the experts here. I'm really interested in setting it up right the first time, as I really don't like the thought of tormenting some poor fish by making silly choices.

Here's what I've been thinking about:

Tank: 36 gallon (I'm leaning towards a bare bottom tank)

Fish: 1 Black Moor and 1 Oranda

Decorations: a few plastic plants and probably some smooth river rocks

I'm not sure about filtration though. I like the idea of using two filters in order to accomplish the job, but I'm stil confused about which models or types are good for a novice like myself. Also not sure about what type of bubbler to use.

Am I missing anything else?

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your time and thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. So much great info and awesome fishies!! :clapping:

Welcome! It looks like you have good plan to start with. I would suggest two AquaClear 50s for your tank. That will give you just over your required 360gph :) And a lot of members here are fans of that particular filter.

Edited by ashlee18

welcome!

your plan sounds good.

I always use canisters as filtration. You only need about 6+ x filtration with those because they have so much media room. THen I use spray bars for the output of the water and leave it about 1inch above the water (aiming towards the wall) this creates enough oxygen and I do not have to use air pumps :)

Hello. Great planning. :)

I'll just add an alternative suggestion. How about an Eheim Ecco Pro (canister) and a an AquaClear70. The Eheims are super easy to use, and I like the AC70 better because it can hold more media than the AC50. You can always turn down the flow rate a little bit on the AC70.

I would recommend against plastic plants. Go for the silk ones, if you don't want live :)

I agree with Alex on the plants. Plastic plants have edges sharp enough to tear a fish's fins. I would either go with silk, or some robust low light live plants, like java ferns and the different anubias types. These usually do not get eaten by goldfish since the leaves are tough.

In case you do want a bubbler, there are many different brands of air pump. If I remember correctly, the whisper brand pumps are very quiet. The Tetra Whisper 40 would be just perfect.

Then you just need to get the airline tubing (very cheap) and decide which type of bubbler you want. For this larger type air pump, I'd recommend something bigger than a small air stone. More like a bubble wand (rigid or flexible) or a bubble disk :)

I'll have to agree with Alex on the filtration because that is the set up I have (an eheim ecco pro canister (the largest model in that line 2236 I think* is the number) and an aqua clear 70. This set up is great because you still get a lot of gph, but you also get tons of media room with the canister.

You should try some live plants! Anubias are pretty fail proof, they don't require much, and the can be tied to rocks so a bare bottom setup is perfect for them!

Thanks everyone. Already getting some good advice! Nice!

So, after reading these responses I've spent the morning reading up on canister filters and watching YouTube clips about filters. hahaha. Exciting, right? :carrot:

Anyway, I think I'm convinced. Canister filters aren't that scary now that I've done a little homework. So I think I'll take the advice and go with the Eheim Ecco Pro 2236 and the Aqua Clear 70. Also, I really appreciate the info about the silk plants over plastic. I had totally overlooked that. Silk it is!

I'm still in the air about using a bubbler or not. (pun intended ;) I like the way they look, but I'm not sure it's necessary if I use a spray bar and 2 filters. Do the goldfish actually like the bubbles?

I plan on doing a fishless cycle, so I imagine I'll have lots of time to play with the filter intakes to get an efficient but tame current. Am I forgetting anything else? One final question: I had assumed an Oranda and a Black Moor would make good tank mates. Right?

thanks for all the help!

sounds like a good plan :). personally i think i would also go with 2 aqua clear 50's, thats what i have on my 46 g tank (plus a submersible filter and a canister). if u want a canister, i ony have experience with the marineland (dont remember the name, the silver one) and rena filstar. both are great, but i think i prefer the rena.

You should try some live plants! Anubias are pretty fail proof, they don't require much, and the can be tied to rocks so a bare bottom setup is perfect for them!

if u think anubias are fail proof u obviously havent met my fish :D lol

@shamu - I just want to clarify, are you saying you'd use 2 AC50's and a canister, too? Three filters? That seems like a whole bunch of filtration! hahaha.

Also, I'm assuming that most people are in agreement that the carbon isn't needed in any of the filters, including the canisters?

• Supporter

we here generally only use carbon to remove medication from the tank water.. carbon expires between 4-6 weeks and then becomes innactive. it can also be the culprit for releasing dirt/grit from the filters back into the water as well as other nasties.. basically, unless you're changing it every 4-6 weeks (every 4 would be ideal) don't bother installing it..

also, when i use it to remove meds, or advise the same, the carbon would be used once and then thrown in the trash.

@shamu - I just want to clarify, are you saying you'd use 2 AC50's and a canister, too? Three filters? That seems like a whole bunch of filtration! hahaha.

Also, I'm assuming that most people are in agreement that the carbon isn't needed in any of the filters, including the canisters?

lol no, i meant 2 ac's OR a canister, i guess u could go with 3, but that seems excessive :)

Edited by Shamu23

I would just get an Aquaclear 110 & that's plenty for a 30 gallon tank. AND you'll save money......I found Eccopro 2246 around $120 (185 gph) & the AC70 around $35-45 (400gph)

While the AC110 $60-80 (900 gph)

I run an AC110 on my 30 gallon tank & get great filtration! (I also have two on my 90 gallon tank!) I love the Aquaclear filters!!!