Setting up new tank

ypdmd

I will be setting up a 110gallon tank after I finish painting the stand.

Any suggestions for

1. Filtration - I was thinking 2xAC110 maybe add a canister?

2. Decoration - I have some driftwood, thinking of putting in a pvc tunnel for privacy

3. Substrate - I would like to keep it barebottom - maybe a few nice stones?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for getting a nice finish on the stand, please let me know. I just finished sanding it, and I want to paint it white to match the as of yet unpurchased furniture in the room.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - painted stand, tank is set up, looks pretty good.

I think more decoration is needed.

My major concern is filtration.

I heard that the AC110s can get pretty loud. (also - will they fit over the lip of the tank? Its about 2 inches wide.)

I am looking into a canister, eheim 2127 vs fluval fx5. Is the 2127 enough or do I need a 2250/2260? Is that or the Fx5 overkill?

Are the ACs really that loud?

Thanks.

Pics coming :photo:

All set up - still need to do more decorating, but I have time for that later.

I went with the AC110s, definately a noticeable buzz and hum. Hopefully they will quiet down over time.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

it looks really nice! Make sure your filters are level (if they are off a little this can create a bit of a noise), and you may want to see if it is the tops that are creating the hum/buzz, that is my one complaint about the AC's is the tops can create some noise (others here have used a bead of silicone sealant around the edges of the top to reduce this noise)

Thanks for all the nice posts.

Yes, a lot of the buzz is from the lid, but most of it is still audible with the lids off. What is that trick with with silicone? Put a bead around the edge and let it cure? Do they do it on the filter box or the lid? I had noise problems with my other ACs, but they did seem to quiet down after a whiile. Right now, there is no one sleeping in that room, so it is not a major problem. Anyway, the lids only ampify the filter noise, but if the filters are silent (no vibration) then the lids are fine.

The filters are definitely level front to back, but they are definitely not level side to side. (my floor has a slight pitch to it). I can put a little airling tubing under the low end to raise it up.