Help I think he has swim bladder...

Sally2007

I wonder if it might be worth you trying to keep him under water completely for a few days. Maybe buy one of those breeding boxes with the mesh sides and instead of attaching it to the top of the tank, lay it on the bottom with him in it. Others may have a suggestion for a less abrasive method, but I think it would be a good idea to get that area submerged so it can heal.

ohhh u sure he would be able to breath under there?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it might be worth you trying to keep him under water completely for a few days. Maybe buy one of those breeding boxes with the mesh sides and instead of attaching it to the top of the tank, lay it on the bottom with him in it. Others may have a suggestion for a less abrasive method, but I think it would be a good idea to get that area submerged so it can heal.

ohhh u sure he would be able to breath under there?

Of course, he has gills ;)

As long as the water is still circulating, so if the container has holes or mesh, he'll be fine. You really need to stop that side from getting worse.

to get that area submerged so it can heal.

Thats a brill idea, and thats what i did with one of my baby ranchos today.......My nemo's a recent purchase, and when we got him home, noticed that one of his front paddles, is actually half a paddle, so he's slower and often struggles to swim, and needs to rest - exactly like his namesake......well he's resorted to hideing in corners at the top, and exposing himself, and today i noticed a tiny rash, where it protudes up to the air. Using the breeders net, secured midway of the tank, and i place a basket on top, to secure the entrance.

So he's in a tank, within a tank :rofl .......cocooned in his little home............noone can pick on him and he gets fed, without anyone stealing his food.....so hopefully he can now heal. And the bullies can leave him alone. And best of all no need for Q tank.

Best of luck!

i don't know why exposeing fish to air gives them a rash though :wacko:

It dries their skin out very badly. Their slime coat comes off and the air exposure isn't natural for them, they don't have a cuticle like we do to hold moisture in.

i don't know why exposeing fish to air gives them a rash though :wacko:

It dries their skin out very badly. Their slime coat comes off and the air exposure isn't natural for them, they don't have a cuticle like we do to hold moisture in.

thank you for the info

I would keep him in there until the redness goes at least, but keep an eye and make sure he's not getting further irritated by rubbing against the mesh. Sorry, I don't have photos as I've never had to do this myself.

In my experience fish with serious swim bladder problems will often sink after a peroid of time, hopefully the same happens to yorus. It's better to have a fish who lays on the bottom than floats on the top - at least then they are able (usually) to get food and they don't dry out.

Actually I went to the fish stores and they don't have the mesh ones so the guy told me i can buy the plastic ones or I can buy a container and poke holes in it so I bought the container...

Aw.Your poor baby!! That is a good box, it's fine the way you have done it too! :) As long as you occasionally release/lift it.There are many variations on this idea.

i am wondering if your tank is cycled yet? Are you still getting 0 for nitrates? Cycled is so important for weaker fish. Also I'm wondering about your other fish, is he also bottom sitting? It looks like he may be in the picture above ?

Aw.Your poor baby!! That is a good box, it's fine the way you have done it too! :) As long as you occasionally release/lift it.There are many variations on this idea.

i am wondering if your tank is cycled yet? Are you still getting 0 for nitrates? Cycled is so important for weaker fish. Also I'm wondering about your other fish, is he also bottom sitting? It looks like he may be in the picture above ?

Thanks :-) yup I lift it this morning , I wonder if he would ever be able to swim like he did before, I'm going to test the tank right now , my other fish has dropsey he bottom sits he's in a 20 g tank

• 4 weeks later...