Help I think he has swim bladder...

Sally2007

Do you think he'd try to reach food if he could reach it? If you have a breeding basket or plastic container you could put him in that and feed him, keep the water shallow enough so that despite his floating, he can reach the bottom to get the food.

That's up to you really :)

yeah i went to the store and bought one , should I put him in it when im feeding him only?

I cant find bio bandage , its possible its only in the u.s.a, any other suggestions?

I've seen it here in Canada. It was behind the counter at a small lfs, you had to ask for it. I'll try to dig around and see what other alternatives there may be.

thanks , I went to 1 store and they said they never heard of it Im going to another one this afternoon after work :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked with another experienced member/mod and she recommended vasaline as a back up, so if you can't find the bio bandage go with that. Sorry for not saying so earlier, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to harm your fish :)

I tryed the second store and I cant find it :( I dont know any small fish store, the 2 that I go to are big stores... I just came back from the fish store and the guy was telling me that my fish might be constipated , i will post up pics of him... im not sure if he has swim bladder or if hes constipated...

• Supporter

:hi sally,

if you think it's constipation, can you prepare peas? you can put an epsom salt granuel in a pea or half pea and feed it to him? i think we did this a few months back for your other fish?

all you have to do is cook the pea until it's soft, pinch the skin so the pea pops out and insert an epsom granuel (perhaps 2) into the pea.. if the fish is hungry, he should just suck it up from between your fingers when you're holding it close to his mouth.

another way is to crush the epsom granuels and mash the pea into it, then feed.

vasaline is great for coating the exposed parts of the fish.

:hi sally,

if you think it's constipation, can you prepare peas? you can put an epsom salt granuel in a pea or half pea and feed it to him? i think we did this a few months back for your other fish?

all you have to do is cook the pea until it's soft, pinch the skin so the pea pops out and insert an epsom granuel (perhaps 2) into the pea.. if the fish is hungry, he should just suck it up from between your fingers when you're holding it close to his mouth.

another way is to crush the epsom granuels and mash the pea into it, then feed.

vasaline is great for coating the exposed parts of the fish.

Hello :)

I feed him peas with epson salt for 3 days and I didnt see any results, I feed him this b4 I posted on this forum but sadly it didnt work I mean he ate it but nothing happened...

Edited by sally2007

For now you can go ahead and put vasaline on his side to keep it from getting worse. Constipation can cause floating for sure, there are a variety of reasons it may happen. Photos would help.

yea im gonna go out and buy some vasaline :) thanks

Given the redness on the side, and the fact that even the more aggressive method to combat floatiness/constipation didn't work, I think that it's likely she has some internal infection and I would recommend the medicated food. I know that you were having a hard time feeding her. Perhaps Helen can help you. She made the video I posted earlier :)

Given the redness on the side, and the fact that even the more aggressive method to combat floatiness/constipation didn't work, I think that it's likely she has some internal infection and I would recommend the medicated food. I know that you were having a hard time feeding her. Perhaps Helen can help you. She made the video I posted earlier :)

i just feed him the medication food and he didnt poop anything out :( i feed him 3 pellits

I wonder if it might be worth you trying to keep him under water completely for a few days. Maybe buy one of those breeding boxes with the mesh sides and instead of attaching it to the top of the tank, lay it on the bottom with him in it. Others may have a suggestion for a less abrasive method, but I think it would be a good idea to get that area submerged so it can heal.