Help I think he has swim bladder...

Sally2007

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? 75 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallon just set up 2 weeks ago
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? penguin 350

* How often do you change the water and how much? usually 50% every week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? i changed 50 % yesterday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fishes one 6 " and 4 "
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? epson salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? hes only on top

Ok so its been a week that he hasent been eating by himself , last week he was eating and swimming good , hes lying on top of the tank side ways breathing, half of his side is red since only half of his body is in the water.... I put epson salt in the water yesterday, I feed him peas with epson salt in it he ate it but hes not eating much and its really hard feeding him since hes not able to eat by himself... any suggestions?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry your fish is having problems. I hope the forum members can help with useful advice/suggestions :)

I am a tad confused with your tank parameters. Is this tank cycled? Your answers indicate that it's only been set up for 2 weeks; you do 50% WC weekly, and there is absolutely 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the system.

I'm sorry your fish is having problems. I hope the forum members can help with useful advice/suggestions :)

I am a tad confused with your tank parameters. Is this tank cycled? Your answers indicate that it's only been set up for 2 weeks; you do 50% WC weekly, and there is absolutely 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the system.

yeah i just tested my water yesterday after the wc and thats what it read...i dont think its cycled yet it cant be right? ...

Ok, so this is a brand new tank, with no cycled media. Thank you for the clarification. :)

How old is your test kit? I have a really hard time grasping the concept that two weeks into a new tank, with 2x/day feeding that your tank has zeros across the board for all the nitrogenous products.

Edited by dnalex

Ok, so this is a brand new tank, with no cycled media. Thank you for the clarification. :)

How old is your test kit? I have a really hard time grasping the concept that two weeks into a new tank, with 2x/day feeding that your tank has zeros across the board for all the nitrogenous products.

my test kit is brand new , I have media from my other tank...i dunno but thats what the test read yesterday

Gotcha. Sorry :)

Is your other tank cycled? (How long has it been set up?) I'm willing to bet that the other tank is cycled, which would explain the parameters results just fine :)

its ok :) oh god lol im not sure when the other tank was cycled its been like over a year I have the other tank running...

Hehe. I didn't mean to ask when it was cycled. I just wanted to know how long it has been running to guess if it's cycled. From the look of things, it definitely is.

Let me ask you a few more questions, to see if I could gather more info for others who will be reading the thread.

Did you just discover her floating sideways one day, or were symptoms different, eventually leading to being floaty sideways?

Hehe. I didn't mean to ask when it was cycled. I just wanted to know how long it has been running to guess if it's cycled. From the look of things, it definitely is.

Let me ask you a few more questions, to see if I could gather more info for others who will be reading the thread.

Did you just discover her floating sideways one day, or were symptoms different, eventually leading to being floaty sideways?

actually he just stared floating side ways this week , last week he was swimming only on top but normally and he was eating by him self last week, its just this week hes been like this ... I will take a pic and post it up tonight ...

Is the fish showing signs of dropsy? (scales sticking out, bloating)

That is normally why we use epsom salt, not really for swim bladder issues. Often floating will come before dropsy because it is a sign of kidney issues, but unless you see the symptoms I don't think the epsom is necessary.

I agree with Alex that your water parameters are a bit of a puzzle. A 20 gallon tank with two large-ish fish should definitly be registering nitrates. Are there plants in the tank?

And as for the red side from floating, some members have successfully used a product called bio bandage to help fish with that issue. It acts as a barrier between the fish's sensitive skin and the air.

Is the fish showing signs of dropsy? (scales sticking out, bloating)

That is normally why we use epsom salt, not really for swim bladder issues. Often floating will come before dropsy because it is a sign of kidney issues, but unless you see the symptoms I don't think the epsom is necessary.

I agree with Alex that your water parameters are a bit of a puzzle. A 20 gallon tank with two large-ish fish should definitly be registering nitrates. Are there plants in the tank?

And as for the red side from floating, some members have successfully used a product called bio bandage to help fish with that issue. It acts as a barrier between the fish's sensitive skin and the air.

oh ok so i would do a big water change and remove the salt... no he is not showing signs of dropsy, im just wondering how this happened tho??? i dont have any plants in the tank, im gonna test the water tommaro again before and after the wc...if i cant find bio bandage is it save to use vaseline???

I have never heard or thought of using vaseline, I don't think it's something I would try as it might have adverse effects on the fish. I think there are alternatives to bio bandage but I can't remember exactly what, hopefully someone else who knows will post.

As for how t his happened, there are a lot of possible causes for swim bladder issues including but not limited to bacterial infections, kidney disorders, gas from the fish's diet, tumors or pressure on the swim bladder due to how the fish has grown and developed.

So right now, he's floating on his side and not really eating?

I have never heard or thought of using vaseline, I don't think it's something I would try as it might have adverse effects on the fish. I think there are alternatives to bio bandage but I can't remember exactly what, hopefully someone else who knows will post.

As for how t his happened, there are a lot of possible causes for swim bladder issues including but not limited to bacterial infections, kidney disorders, gas from the fish's diet, tumors or pressure on the swim bladder due to how the fish has grown and developed.

So right now, he's floating on his side and not really eating?

yes hes on his side floating and hes not eating :( do u think I should feed him medicated food? like metro meds or medi gold?

Do you have metro-meds? It's would be helpful, all things considered. I would not use Medi-Gold, since it looks like he's already have issues with buoyancy, and the Medi-Gold may make it worse.

Do you have metro-meds? It's would be helpful, all things considered. I would not use Medi-Gold, since it looks like he's already have issues with buoyancy, and the Medi-Gold may make it worse.

ok i feed him metro meds , thanks for you help :)

Good luck. Try feeding him several times a day, with the amount of food to be around 2% of his body weight. The full course of meds should be 14 days.

Also, I would add in extra water changes during this time. If you can do 50% WCs daily, that would be excellent :)

Good luck. Try feeding him several times a day, with the amount of food to be around 2% of his body weight. The full course of meds should be 14 days.

Also, I would add in extra water changes during this time. If you can do 50% WCs daily, that would be excellent :)

im trying to feed him but its really hard im not able to put it in his mouth

I know. I don't handlers mine either, but my understanding is that with most, you do have to train them a bit. There is a video of someone feeding her fish with a syringe. I have never tried doing this personally, but it seems worth a try. You would have turn the MMs into a liquid/mush. Anyway, let me look for the video.

Edit: Here you go. This is from one of our members here, stakos. This is the thread where it is from

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/85482-syringe-feeding-sir-loyn/page__hl__stakos+feed+syringe__fromsearch__1

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1011.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf233%2Fstakos%2Fsir%2520loyn%2FMAH00089.mp4">

Edited by dnalex

I know. I don't handlers mine either, but my understanding is that with most, you do have to train them a bit. There is a video of someone feeding her fish with a syringe. I have never tried doing this personally, but it seems worth a try. You would have turn the MMs into a liquid/mush. Anyway, let me look for the video.

Edit: Here you go. This is from one of our members here, stakos. This is the thread where it is from

http://www.kokosgold...__fromsearch__1

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1011.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf233%2Fstakos%2Fsir%2520loyn%2FMAH00089.mp4">

thanks for the video but im kinda scared to hold him with one hand and feed him with the next :(

Do you think he'd try to reach food if he could reach it? If you have a breeding basket or plastic container you could put him in that and feed him, keep the water shallow enough so that despite his floating, he can reach the bottom to get the food.

Do you think he'd try to reach food if he could reach it? If you have a breeding basket or plastic container you could put him in that and feed him, keep the water shallow enough so that despite his floating, he can reach the bottom to get the food.

yeah i went to the store and bought one , should I put him in it when im feeding him only?

That's up to you really :)

yeah i went to the store and bought one , should I put him in it when im feeding him only?

I cant find bio bandage , its possible its only in the u.s.a, any other suggestions?

I've seen it here in Canada. It was behind the counter at a small lfs, you had to ask for it. I'll try to dig around and see what other alternatives there may be.