Worried about the quality of my gel

Johnnyonthespot

I think at that point I would jump off a bridge in depression haha.

So...my theory is one step closer to being correct. I fed Gabby and not him, and now he's gulping. He ate nothing, and was perfectly fine before the feeding. I really, truly believe this could be attention related. If I'm near the tank, they don't gulp. I'm so confused.

And she has a stringy poop hanging out of her. If this is stress related, what's the issue? I can't fathom it being oxygen, since I have two filters running permanently and an oxygen bar.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

I have no experience with floatiness, but I've heard that gulping at the surface may be trying to eat the protein film on the top of the water. So you might try eliminating that film. You could try laying absorbent paper - like newspaper or paper towels -- on the surface of the water and removing them as soon as they soak through. People do this to remove oil, and if there is any oil in your gel food it would wind up on the surface. Also, if your tank is filled to the point that the water coming out of the filter goes horizontally across the top of the water, this will help to prevent films on the top.

That's really interesting, I just did that across most of the top so hopefully that has an affect, thank you!

I made a new batch today that I'll feed them tomorrow. My question is, should I maybe try agar agar? I just really feel like they float due to gulping, and I have 0 clue why they're gulping. Bernie gulped today after NOT EATING. Can't blame the food for that. Oi.

I fed them peas tonight, one whole pea each. I decided I was going to see if it goes floating -> gulping or gulping -> floating. I've literally been patrolling the tank the past hour and chase them away with the net any time they try. Gabby's given up about a half hour ago, Bernie just recently quit. No floating at all. Can you train fish? I'm going to try lol.

Try shakaho's suggestions.

Also, I think goldfish definitely can be trained; I don't know to what extent, but this is clearly possible.

I did her suggestions, hopefully they helped as well. My filters were already pretty much horizontal but I tried to soak up any oils with the paper towels. Not sure if I had any really but I tried. I'm going to try to train them if it keeps up. Just teach them that gulping = net attack. They hate the net lol.

Just teach them that gulping = net attack. They hate the net lol.

Omg. I am having hilarious images in my head, of someone standing by the tank with the net, ready swoop down on the unsuspecting goldies.

Try to search around for some of Chrissy_Bee's posts where she talks about using the clicker. I think perhaps you could couple the clicking sound to net attack, so that eventually you can dispose of the net entirely and use just the clicker lol

Just teach them that gulping = net attack. They hate the net lol.

Omg. I am having hilarious images in my head, of someone standing by the tank with the net, ready swoop down on the unsuspecting goldies.

Try to search around for some of Chrissy_Bee's posts where she talks about using the clicker. I think perhaps you could couple the clicking sound to net attack, so that eventually you can dispose of the net entirely and use just the clicker lol

Oh that's interesting. They're already scared of the noise of my computer chair rolling backwards lol, because when I move backwards then know they're about to be yelled at. Gabby's very sensitive, Bernie typically ignores me but he's getting it. He doesn't get yelled at usually unless he's chasing Gabby's butt, wearing her as a headdress. Anywho, I might try the clicker, but I'd like to make it so they just...stop. That's ideal.

Day Two. Sitting by the tank with the net in hand. Good thing I'm on Christmas break lol. Gabby's gone up maybe twice after eating gel, Bernie I've chased away probably 20 times. Stupid fish lol. They're perfectly fine otherwise, I just think Bernie's obsessed with gulping now.

It might be easier to make a barrier to stop your fish from surfacing. I'd get some 1/2" pvc pipe and four elbows and make a rectangle from this that would float on the top of the tank. Then fasten some kind of screening to the bottom. I would use plastic hardware cloth, but I'm not sure I'd buy a whole roll of it just for this. When your fish try to surface and gulp, they'd just bump their noses on the screen. It would stop the gulping immediately, but it might take months before you could remove it without the fish resuming the habit.

Your dedication to your project is quite astounding. You will succeed!

It also bodes very well for your legal career :)

Haha thank you, I genuinely appreciate that. I'm very bullheaded, so when I want to fix something, I usually do because I completely obsess over it.

It might be easier to make a barrier to stop your fish from surfacing. I'd get some 1/2" pvc pipe and four elbows and make a rectangle from this that would float on the top of the tank. Then fasten some kind of screening to the bottom. I would use plastic hardware cloth, but I'm not sure I'd buy a whole roll of it just for this. When your fish try to surface and gulp, they'd just bump their noses on the screen. It would stop the gulping immediately, but it might take months before you could remove it without the fish resuming the habit.

I've considered that and it's really a last resort to me. But I do like your mechanism for doing it better than anything I've come up with haha.

I have a question. My gel I made, I ended up with about 3/4 worth of food and water, and I used a whole pack of gelatin. My batch is pretty firm. Could that be a problem? It's been 2.5 hours and they're still trying to get up top :/

I'm frustrated beyond words.

I've always used 1 tablespoon of gelatin to 1 cup of pur?ed food. You want it to be firm (cuttable with a knife), doesn't break apart immediately in water, but isn't so firm that it takes the fish forever to chew. It took me months of wasted food and time figuring out the consistency I want :o

I've always used 1 tablespoon of gelatin to 1 cup of puréed food. You want it to be firm (cuttable with a knife), doesn't break apart immediately in water, but isn't so firm that it takes the fish forever to chew. It took me months of wasted food and time figuring out the consistency I want :o

Makes sense. I guess I'm a little worried that mine might be too firm.

Add less gelatin. You can tell that it's too firm if: 1) it has that really glossy look all over, 2) has the consistency of the Jell-O we eat, 3) the fish eat it and spit it out, and/or 4) it takes the fish 10 minutes to chew one piece :)

The last is a bit exaggerated, but I think you get the idea.

Add less gelatin. You can tell that it's too firm if: 1) it has that really glossy look all over, 2) has the consistency of the Jell-O we eat, 3) the fish eat it and spit it out, and/or 4) it takes the fish 10 minutes to chew one piece :)

The last is a bit exaggerated, but I think you get the idea.

Yea I know I have to next time. It's a bit glossy, haven't checked consistency, but they do actually eat it. And seem to enjoy it. I don't know, next week I think I'm just going to go to Whole Foods and pick up the agar agar and make a whole new batch. That'll make it 4 batches in the past 3 weeks lol.

That'll make it 4 batches in the past 3 weeks lol.

There was a time at one point when I was making a batch a day. Since I wasn't so good at scaling down, I was making 3-4 cups at a time (2 pounds). It was crazy. :rofl