Storing Medicated Foods long term--what works?

spillie

I have read on this forum many times that you should throw away metromeds, medigold (and I presume other medicated foods) after 6 months because the food part goes bad. But, many times I open that huge bag of MMs and use it for a fish, and then have the vast bulk of it left--and no more sick fish that need it for longer than that. Does anyone freeze their leftover food--can one, without impacting the meds? I wrote to Rick at GF connection last year and asked if he'd consider selling smaller packets (even a bundle of smaller packets would be fine), but I don't believe he got back to me. I also asked him, I think, about freezing , but di dnot hear back. Anyone know (or have another idea?)

I think that if you had a vacuum sealing machine (like you can get for food) you could use that safely. I wish they would sell small packages! It is such a waste!

Edited by tithra

I think Chrissy had mentioned that freezing will make the oils in the food go rancid even more quickly, or at least it doesn't halt that process. I think another option is to vacuum seal small amounts of the food and only open the part you need.

I actually have used MMs that are about 9 months old, and it was fine. :)

The thing about the medicated food is that it is not the active ingredients that will go bad. Those can last more than a decade. It's the food part that goes bad :(

Edit: GC has no incentive to sell smaller bags, because then he makes no money. I have just taken this opportunity to share these foods with friends when I can. :)

Edited by dnalex

I wonder about the freezing. I freeze my irish wholemeal flour, as it goes rancid on the shelf (oils from the whole wheat part), but it is fine for a year or more in my freezer. Maybe there is different interation in the fish food, though. Anyway, I should look into a small vacuum sealer--great idea! RE smaller packets, I understand about the financial incentive--but I bet if he sold a bundle of , say, 10 packets (maybe a smaller amount by weight for a bit higher price), people would buy them and he would still make money. I would buy those, for sure. Though he might lose the part of the income he gets when we buy that big bag of meds every six months, as then we would not have to, I suppose. But I bet a lot of people just use old meds because that is what they have on hand, anyway--so people buying new meds every 6 months may not be that many.

Another thing I think about is whether it is safe to just throw away older medicated food, in terms of the environment. There are lots of reasons I'd like to have smaller packets that have what I need for one course of treatment.