Newbie question regarding ammonia

tnorandagal

This isn't really a disease question, but sorta is..so I figure I would post here. I have an oranda that came home with what I now know were ammonia burns on his wen. He also had red streaks on his fins. Now that I've had him about a week, the ammonia burns have almost disappeared and have been replaced by healthy wen growth. The red vessels still appear in his anal fins though. I understand that sometimes transparent fins will show these vessels, and its definitely not streaks but a defined vessel. So I was wondering if this is permanent or related to the (former) ammonia poisioning? My tank params are always 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates. Anything higher than 10 and I know its time for a 50% WC.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

You are on the right track with the thoughts about ammonia. The problem with ammonia is that is sticks in the blood stream. When this happens, all the vessels, right down to the capillaries, don't have enough room for blood, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. So the body's response to this is to enlarge the vessels to give them more room. That's what the red spots are, and the reason you can see the veins in your new goldie's tail.

It is not necessarily permanent, but it will take a lot of time to shrink back down to its normal size. The best thing for him is clean water, (no salt) and a healthy diet.

When the heart is working properly (encouraged by a good diet and proper environment) the vessels won't have to over compensate by enlarging.

Will you upload a pic or pics?

It is definitely true that you can see blood vessels in the caudal fins of some goldfish without it being indicative of bad water quality or inflammation.

If it IS inflammation or water quality, then those streaks will disappear or become lighter as the vessels constrict, but this isn't something that happens overnight and sometimes can take weeks.