Help identifying sex!

rhorizon74

Hi,

Needed help identifying male vs female.

I have tried to take pictures of the vent (without luck). Will try a bit later. I dont think either have any breeding stars.

I read a post saying the shape of the pectoral fin could be a good indicator.

So posting those and hoping folks can help. Also have some side views of the vent.

Thank you for looking.

Fish 1

Shows pectoral fin and i think a convex vent (female?)

DSC01525-1.jpg

Fish 2 (Pectoral fins only.. wasnt co-operating on the vent pics)

DSC01544.jpg

Lack of convex vent (male?)

DSC01539.jpg

The first one is definitely a female. The other two I am leaning towards female too. Any way you can get a better picture of the vents? I personally have never noticed a difference in pectoral shape between the sexes.

Really pretty fish, btw. :)

The 2nd and 3rd picture are the same fish. Was hoping he was a male . Doesn't matter, like them both either way.

I do agree the first looks like a female.

Will try to get a picture of the vent soon.

Thank you

"Another thought is the male pectoral fins will be pointy, while the female's pectoral fins will have a rounded shape.Normally, fish become of age around 2 years old"

That was a quote from the pinned sexing goldfish (the topic was started by Koko, another member had posted the comment above). Was hoping that could help in the identification. But the member had indicated that this was just a theory.

Getting my camera to get pics of the vents.. Since my Ryukins dont have short tails its not going to be easy.

• Admin

Well there pectoral ray's are thin looking. meaning the white line that would show up isnt going to cause its not thick. the anal fins are thick on the front ray, leaning to a female fish. :thumb:

The first one's easy! Even I can tell it's a female, and I'm really bad at being able to tell the difference in male and female goldfish unless it's really obvious. LOL

I usually wait until it's spawning time to see who's chasing whom :rofl

So if the front ray on the pectoral fin is thick and already has tiny white dots along it, male?

Yup. Breeding tubercles... :)

When i orginally got my 2 ryukins, i saw one bump into the others rear...... a few months later i had seen the other fish do the same to the first one.

Do females some time bump each other if males are not around ?... (me confused)

I am both a little dissapointed (wanted the second one to be male).. but also a bit relieved... dont have the space or setup for fry... hate when fry have to be culled.

Is there a picture comparision of pectoral fins on this forum where i can look at to see how a males pectoral fin looks like.

Thanks for all the information.

Hi,

Can you folks take a look at the following pics (second fish.. one not very clear ..at least to me). I somehow feel the vent on this one is different than the one we are all sure is a female..

Took me a loooong time to get these pics.. so appreciate your opinions..

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01585.jpgDSC01579.jpg

Still think it's a boy :)

Thanks ... had got both from the same tank at petsmart .. hoping the one in question is a boy (and the other a girl)...

Will wait for some of the other folks with more experience with GF than me (Koko etc), to also take a look and let me know.

Maybe tomorrow will post a few pics of the other one (one or two.... hope i havent exceeded number of pics i am allowed to post per topic).

Maybe tomorrow will post a few pics of the other one (one or two.... hope i havent exceeded number of pics i am allowed to post per topic).

I don't think there's a limit lol. I've posted outrageous numbers of pics in my posts before, and will likely do so again, in a future update of my fish :)

looks like you have some nice females .

look here at these pictures of males and females and compare to your fish, note the leading edges of the pect fin on males, they are big and crusty and the white pearl organs on the males gill plates.

also at breeding time behaviour is a good sign as the males chase the ladys.

5247bfe5.jpg

topview_spawn.jpg

now note carefully this picture of the two vents and how they are different. the female is heart shape and larger, male is a longer oval shape.

goldfishMF.jpg

(there are more detailed pictures if you need them. )

@mikroll

Nice comparison pics.... I was almost sure it was a male..... but the last pic you have (heart shape vent vs elongated) kind of clears my doubt. So like you said 2 nice females it is..... (operative word being nice :) ). Thanks for taking the tie to post these pics.

One more question... do females sometimes chase each others (breeding behaviour). I have noticed that behaviour in my fish last summer.