Sign in to follow this  
tithra

soaking pellets?

So, recently cathys posted this comment in a thread (cathys I hope you don't mind me creating a post about this, I am curious what others have to say):

"talked to steve at raingarden who said to not soak the pellets because that leaches out the nutrients.

he said to feed what they will eat in 5 minutes once a day and the rest of the day only plants and veg to pick at"

Then, tonight I was perusing another forum and there were others (breeders primarily I think) there who said not soak pellets and that there was no need to.

I was under the impression (and it makes logical sense) that we soak pellets to soften them and allow them to expand outside of the digestive tract because feeding them dry can cause digestive issues such as constipation and swim bladder issues due to expanding food pressing on the swim bladder. I soak mine no longer than 2-3 min.

So, is there a consensus on this (to soak or not)? Is there any 'research' to say whether or not nutrients leach out after a specified amount of soaking? (I would assume that they would with prolonged soaking, but I can't imagine that a couple minutes results in any significant loss of nutrients). Is this just one of those things where no one really knows for sure and we all agree to disagree?

Just curious :D

Watching this closely. Mine don't like the pellets when they're hard and they'll spit them out and go after them later when they're soft.

I have soaked my pellets, but for no more than 30 seconds.

I have never soaked any of my medicated foods, except for Jungle AP, which I have to do to get them to sink.

Interestingly, even though I've never soaked Metro-Meds, no fish ever had floaty problems with it, despite getting 2-3% of their body weight in MMs daily during treatment period.

Edited by dnalex

I soak my progold for probably 30 seconds as well. This food gets too messy if it soaks too long.

i soak mine for 5 to 15 mins. i guess it is bad because you guys dont do it. haha. one of my ranchu gets floaty when fed unsoaked pellets.

I soak mine as well. I wouldn't soak medicated food for sure, but regular I do.

I don't think the nutrient loss is very high if the pellets are only soaked for a minute or so. It's worth the trade off for me to prevent floating.

The closest thing I have to evidence to support soaking is that I've been doing it for years and have had nice big healthy goldfish who grow well and certainly don't look nutrient deficient :)

when I soak, I only soak them in a few drops of water so it will mostly get absorbed.

That's a good idea Fede.

I had read that before, and it makes sense to me, like breakfast cereal...they say to make sure you finish the milk in the bowl because the vitamins from the cereal end up in the milk. I never soaked before and Boog & Fraggle did fine. Alfonso on the other hand gets a little floaty, so now I soak for a minute (or 20 when I forget I'm soaking...lol)

All the info I read when I first got my goldfish suggested to pre soak there food so it expands before being in their digestive tract ;) so I've always pre soaked for a couple of mins and sometimes smooch them a bit with a spoon if they're not sinking ...