Share with us your goldies NAMES.

larryngu

Share with us your fin kids names. And share your process of naming em.

Mines are

1)Ariel

2)Esmerelda

3)Jasmin.

Since I have 3 I wanted to name them to ONE common theme. I considered Larry, Moe and Curly. I considered Bugs, Daffy and Elmer.

I settled with Ariel , Esmerelda and Jasmin.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love those names for your princesses!

Bob

Sally

Rosie (I like giving animals ordinary names...)

Marilou

Night Fury was named by my 7-year-old after the black dragon in How to Train Your Dragon.

Phineas the betta because he's finny :D

Gimli the dwarf gourami... cuz you know... dwarf... LOTR. Mine is a nerdy household.

OK

Most of my fish have descriptive names:

Beauty -- a lovely, tiny sarasa comet with a red head

Chosen One -- the one fish I demanded when I picked my original 7 pond fishies.

White Nose -- guess why.

Pumpkin -- a pure red-orange comet

Red Rascal -- a bright red common

Two-Spot -- a sarasa comet with two spots from a top view

Valentine -- a sarasa with a fire-engine red heart on his head

Butterfly -- an orange and white comet -- who seems to be going toward all orange -- with exceptionally long fluttery fins

Marcin Goldfish is a complicated story. He was the "big white guy" of my original pond fishies. At the time, the big white guy on my Orlando Magic basketball team was Marcin Gortat, so I named him Marcin. But Marcin Goldfish just rolled off the tongue so well that the name stuck.

Cappie the oranda

Fanny the fantail and

Pearls the pearlscale are self-evident

Hoover, the veiltail nymph is not so obvious. It comes from my son's observation that he was a "vacuum cleaner" at feeding time

Wild Eye is a shubunkin with one red eye that looks rather wild. His most significant trait, however, is the biggest and most capacious mouth in the pond.

Spookyfish is a shubunkin that took more than a month to get used to me. She's fine now.

Lil' Buddy, probably wild Eye's sibling (but with a normal sized mouth), got his name when he had fin rot after a cycle crash. I just kept calling him that while I was nursing him back to health.

Tiny Dancer -- a fantail with an exceptionally well-developed "food dance" at a very small size.

Sport -- a red and white common. The name just seemed to fit.

Speckled, he is a speckled fish :D His original name is The Speckled One.

Mary, I don't know. One day I just started calling her that and it stuck.

Marianne, she looks like Mary when Mary was her age. I always joke that she is Mary's daughter.

Auggie, I got him in August. :P His full name is Augustine.

Tiny, when I got him, he was soooo small compared to the others, I just had to name him Tiny. ;)

@happy thanks for the kind word on their names.

A cute name enhances a cute animal's cuteness.

I name my brown rabbit , Bagel.

Bagel2.jpg

I had Bagel for three and half years now. I tried to upload a Bagels pic as my new avatar but it failed.

Edited by larryngu

• Goldeen was named by my daughter, then 8. She wanted the "goldest" goldfish in the tank.
  • Oreo was named by my son, then 4. He liked the black-eyed "Oreo" fish.
  • Peaches is mine. She's Peaches and Cream, for her color.
  • Harry Potter had a black lighting bolt mark on his face when I got him, and I saw him in the store the day the final movie came out. I went back a few days later, after I had seen the movie, and he was still there with his lightning bolt, so I got him.
  • Fish who didn't make it were Inky (named from the video game de Blob), Lucky Fishbones (my husband picks fun names!) and Buster.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

@Shawnee I see the lightning bolt too on Harry.

For a while now I just thought Harry was looking striaght into the camera cuz he wasn't cooperating with his photo shoot.

Edited by larryngu

I have two goldies.

The first is Egor, a telescope eye fish, which has one eye that sticks out and one flat eye... hence egor, love him!

My other fish is a ryukin, Nel. She is named after a character in the anime Bleach, and since shes a kid she is Nel, and when she grows up she will be Neliel. I named her after a anime because her tail is all white safe for a red dot in the middle, making her tail look like a japanese flag haha

I had one other goldie, who didnt make it, Lilo. She was an Oranda and like to Hula dance in the tank (she would face the front of the tank, under belly forward, stay still for a few seconds, and wag her tail staying in one place which made her tail look like a hula skirt, it was awesome), which is why i named her Lilo after the movie Lilo and Stitch.

Kaori (Kay-or-ee) - calico ryukin

Xishi (Zee-she) - calico fantail

Dollars - killifish (australe species I believe, orange in color), named tha cause him (and his now deceased girlfriend 'Diamonds') were so expensive.

Ruby Rodd - red betta, named from the Fifth Element

Roy Miller - lavender betta, named from Knight and Day

Bananarama - dragonscale betta, no clue how to describe his color..

And an anonomous apple snail.. he's just 'the snail'.

Bert and Ernie:) you know, like the guys in Sesame street! it fits because Bert is kinda grumpy, and ernie's always the first one to say hi! (obviously he doesn't actually say hi...he just comes up and wiggles a the front of the tank:) )

@happy thanks for the kind word on their names.

A cute name enhances a cute animal's cuteness.

I name my brown rabbit , Bagel.

Bagel2.jpg

I had Bagel for three and half years now. I tried to upload a Bagels pic as my new avatar but it failed.

awwwwwwwwwwwwww its so cute! and i like its name, too :)

My biggest fish is a comet named Lloyd lol I named him after a video game character. He's 8-9 years old so to be honest I can't remember what game it was.

I have another, smaller comet that I just call Unnamed Orange Fishy. I can't think of a name lol

And The Baby doesn't have a name either.

I'm too indecisive to pick a name :krazy:

Cheeto - My Calico Fatail (Girl)

Totoro - My 'Blue' Oranda (Male)

Mrs. Chubbs - My Calico Fantail/Bubble eye hybrid, lol

Sebastian - My icke stunted forever Red Cap Oranda

Boo - My Small Calico Fantail (Male)

Banana - My stumpy finned Golden Ranchu (Male)

And Mr. Snail my Golden Apple Snail

• Goldeen was named by my daughter, then 8. She wanted the "goldest" goldfish in the tank.
  • Oreo was named by my son, then 4. He liked the black-eyed "Oreo" fish.
  • Peaches is mine. She's Peaches and Cream, for her color.
  • Harry Potter had a black lighting bolt mark on his face when I got him, and I saw him in the store the day the final movie came out. I went back a few days later, after I had seen the movie, and he was still there with his lightning bolt, so I got him.
  • Fish who didn't make it were Inky (named from the video game de Blob), Lucky Fishbones (my husband picks fun names!) and Buster.

I forgot to say that my daughter is really into Pokemon, and Goldeen is a Pokemon name.

Hugo - from my favorite character on the TV show LOST (although this fish turned out to be a girl)

Orange Fishie - because I am oh-so creative

Blacky Fishie - bringing creativity to the next level

Spicey - When I bought her and saw her outside the LFS in sun shine, her color looked like the same color of the limited time only Spicy Chicken Nuggets at Wendy's

Chibi - because he was so tiny when I got him

Vanille - from one of my favorite video game characters, Oerba Dia Vanille. Cute, ditzy, innocent.

Banana - because she looks like one

Kupo - formerly Lily. Both because of the white color.

Wakka - again from one of my favorite video game characters. Funny and derpy.

Kimahri - from the same video game as Wakka, but here a cool character. The fish's color and feathery fins remind me of Kimahri - who is a giant humanoid cat.

Finny - because he has no tail

Tilty - because he tilts

Buttons - because of the button eye

Trooper - because he survived being sucked into the filter

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Mine are mostly named after video game/movie characters. You can see them all in my signature :)

Lady Vashj - world of Warcraft boss

Alastair - from dragon age

Cid - from final fantasy 7

Chu - he was my first ranchu and I called him Chu for so long while I thought of a name that it stuck

Kitty - I wanted a cat for my birthday but it didn't work out so I got her instead

Boushh - star wars bounty hunter

Bruce - Bruce Willis

Westley - from the princess bride

Lulu - final fantasy X

Inigo/Floaty - from the princess bride. I brought him home because he was floaty and I wanted to fix him. It kind of stuck so he has two names.

Mog - what moogles were called in final fantasy 7

Maverick - from top gun

Jango - from Star wars

Poe - ghosts from Zelda. It's really hard to find her in the pond.

Stella - what my cousin had just named her baby

Farkas, Vilkas and Skjor - from Skyrim

Holy cow I have a lot of fish.

-Bromley

-Aurelia

-Agathus

Mountain and elements ( peroidic table names for gold and silver). Some people will notice my user name is also ( elemental gold) + fish...Gold-fish...

Edited by Au-fish

-Bromley

-Aurelia

-Agathus

Mountain and elements ( peroidic table names for gold and silver). Some people will notice my user name is also ( elemental gold) + fish...Gold-fish...

<----------didn't know. I did poorly in chemistry is High School. :clapping:

Fluffy (the dog substitute) - I wanted a dog, but can't have one.

the new ones are:

Jelly Bean - tiny orange lionhead looks like a jelly bean to me.

Emma Goldman - calico ranchu/lionhead - tilts left due to a tail injury...Emma Goldman was a leftist activist from the 30's

Hercule Poirot - famed Belgian detective with dapper mustache...the fish version also has a dapper mustache.

That's it.

The littles are named as a group because I think it's a bit much to name individual minnows that are less than an inch long! Although one got named posthumously - Seven, since I can't find him any more and I suspect he may have gotten eaten :(