Sign in to follow this  
Cockroach

Very confused about Goldfish food

I am getting goldfish this week but I am very confused about what the best Goldfish foods are. It seems the more I read the more Confused I get. So what is the best brand of food to get? I think I will be getting Comets if that makes a difference in the type of food.

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

Just to make sure, your tank is already cycled, and large enough for the fish? :)

As for brands of food, people praise Pro-Gold, which is only sold at Goldfish Connection http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=2&catId=1

I have not used this myself, but I know some people on here do and say this is excellent food.

Another brand that is highly recommended, is Hikari. They make several different goldfish foods, basic ones, color enhancing ones, high protein ones for wen growth on orandas and lionheads etc.

A great brand that you get at pretty much any LFS is Omega One sinking pellets. They are high quality and cheaper than the brands above.

Another option is to make your food yourself, as gel food. There are topics in the Goldfish Food section with recipes and tutorials. It's really easy actually :)

Important is to offer the fish a wide variety of different foods. Add blanched/steamed vegetables, frozen foods such as blood worms, brine shrimp, daphnia etc.

I suggest you not always feed your goldfish one kind of food. Goldfish eats lots of things. In China we often feed them with daphnia、bloodworm which you can bought from the fish store(I don't know whether this is also true in United States), and some kind of lemnaceae like wolffia arrhiza. The way to keep the bloodworm fresh is to put them in the fridge(I often buys about 05kg bloodworm at one time, freeze them as soon as possible, and the frozen bloodworm can be used to feed my goldfish for a long time) and the wolffia arhriza grows in almost every lake and river. But if you don't have so much time, then you can buy some brands of fish food with your friends, and mix them together, I believe that will also give the goldfish balanced neutrition

Sunking, here in the US it's not recommended to buy bloodworms unless you are getting it from a seller you absolutely can trust, because of the possibility of disease transmission from live foods.

I personally would stick with pellets, home made gel food from fresh ingredients, and pellets from reputable brands, of which there are many :)

I agree, here there have been bad reports of goldfish getting sick from frozen blood worms. :(

I feed my fish Progold, Peas, Seaweed. When I remember gel food :lol

Thanks, I know the petstores near me sell Hikari and Omega One. I'll look into getting the Progold. I have my filter running on my tropical tank so I can skip the cycle. My tank is a 48 inch long 55g and I was told that I can have two Comets in it. I am planing on moving them to stock tank outside next year and then getting fancy types.

Sounds great, perfect size tank for two comets! Seems like you got it all covered then. :)

Thanks, I just finished reading the topic on gel food and will probably use the one posted by Dataguru as the main diet.

I like the Hikari Brands myself but also give lots of veggies as well :) and use Frozen Bloodworms and brine shrimp (no one told me there was any issues with frozen blood worms??) why???

I like the Hikari Brands myself but also give lots of veggies as well :) and use Frozen Bloodworms and brine shrimp (no one told me there was any issues with frozen blood worms??) why???

Shellbell, I feed frozen (thawed) bloodworms about once a week and have done so for years. I always buy the Hikari brand, which are guaranteed to be bacteria-free. I wouldn't trust live worms of any kind for my goldies, though, at least not ones purchased where I live.

I like the Hikari Brands myself but also give lots of veggies as well and use Frozen Bloodworms and brine shrimp (no one told me there was any issues with frozen blood worms??) why???

Shellbell, I feed frozen (thawed) bloodworms about once a week and have done so for years. I always buy the Hikari brand, which are guaranteed to be bacteria-free. I wouldn't trust live worms of any kind for my goldies, though, at least not ones purchased where I live.

Exactly! Hikari is one of those brands who use a three step flash freezing process that is supposed to kill of most pathogens. I had some issues when I was using a different brand, but Hikari is definitely recommended.

Right! I use the hikari brand but once I tried the sanfransico bay brand. Then 3 of my fish dropsied. I am not saying that it was the cause for sure, but I did toss them out.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Edited by ashlee18

Right! I use the hikari brand but once I tried the sanfransico bay brand. Then 3 of my fish dropsied. I am not saying that it was the cause for sure, but I did toss them out.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Incidentally, that different brand that I did not name before was San Francisco Bay Brand. I think this brand is unreliable.

I take it back, the brand I use all the time is the San Fransisco bay brand Lunchbox. But it is also the same brand that I tossed, just in a different size and store.