Sign in to follow this  
Deku

My fish feeding guide.

Okay I thought I would post what I do to keep my goldfish in tip top shape! I actually finally got a 150gallon tank set up and I have 10 goldfish in there. I also find out why I used to have fin nipping problems. They weren't being fed enough.

Did you know that goldfish have no "stomach" per say? Just a long intestinal track that draws LITTLE nutrients? Therefore it is best to feed very small quantities spread out throughout the day for the best nutrient absorption?

Personally since my goldfish are more or less the size of a fist(around 8inch for some and the smallest being 3.5inch and most being 5inch). I feed a tblsp of food per feeding. I feed 5 times a day and only one tablespoon on each feeding(sometimes less). Sometimes I will skip one or two days of feeding. These are saturdays and sundays(good because sometimes I may be too busy to deal with them during the weekends).

On each feeding I try to vary what I feed. I also try to make sure I mainly feed veggies(60% and sometimes 100% of the times I will feed veggie based foods).

Here is a list of what I feed:

-Omega one Super veggie flakes(kelp flakes)1-2 times a day ATLEAST

-Hikari Lionhead(I couldn't find the saki hikari yet-- so I'm sticking to this for a while)1time a day ATLEAST

-Algea wafers(hikari is the best for it) 1 a day or every other day.

-Ocean nutrition Formula 2 flakes(it's actually okay to feed to freshwater fish-read the label) every other day

-Sinking carnivore disks(hikari) Once a day is enough for it(gives them that small proteins) or ill alternate with another carnivore based food

-Gammarus treats(Once a week or every other week)

-Frozen foods(clams, krill, plankton, daphnea, bloodworms, cyclops, hikari shrimp that contains traces of algea, etc) Once every 2-3days alternating from the type of frozen food

-Small red earthworms (every 3-5days)

Feeding this diet has actually gave me success over the past 4months. I've had no nipped fins. No problems anymore. No constipation ever. So it works for me and my fish. The temp is ussually around 72-74

Edited by SolarFish

Nice schedule.

How often do you do water changes and how much?

Nice schedule.

How often do you do water changes and how much?

I used to change water 2x a week 80-90% each time. I figured out that's a bad idea... Apparently they got stressed out by that so I now do 80% water change weekly or every other week. I have a total of 10 goldfish. The water is always clean and crystal clear. I'm still working on the sump idea with the uvb because I had to cash out alot on the tank. xD Around a thousand something. I had to buy it new. I ended up finding a lionhead that has an all orangy golden body but from the gills to the lip is white. Like another user over here has a goldfish that looks just like that. Same breed and everything. I call him/her apollo. Cost me 15 bucks for it and another 15 for a large pearlscale. lol. They lowered the price for me cause I used to work there and they have good quality goldies over there. xD

I don't feed peas really btw. I actually tried different care methods but it really didn't work for me. Untill now this is the best method I'ved been using. No illness. No stress. No torn fins.

I don't do peas, either. I have it in one of my gel foods. I'm curious to know what your nitrate readings are between water changes, especially when you go to two weeks without changing the water.

I don't do peas, either. I have it in one of my gel foods. I'm curious to know what your nitrate readings are between water changes, especially when you go to two weeks without changing the water.

I never check for nitrates o.O

You should check for nitrates. Feeding a lot and doing water changes only every other week, you could be risking the health of your fish if the nitrates are too high, even with the tank currently being understocked. Keep in mind that the fish will grow and produce more and more toxins!

Nitrates should always be below 20ppm :)

You should check for nitrates. Feeding a lot and doing water changes only every other week, you could be risking the health of your fish if the nitrates are too high, even with the tank currently being understocked. Keep in mind that the fish will grow and produce more and more toxins!

Nitrates should always be below 20ppm :)

Hmm will do! I do water changes every other week or sometimes weekly or sometimes bi-weekly. I change it up sometimes I guess.

Maybe just me but that sounds like a WHOLE LOT of food!! And I'd do regular weekly water changes.....especially feeding that much.

Maybe just me but that sounds like a WHOLE LOT of food!! And I'd do regular weekly water changes.....especially feeding that much.

Nah re-check the amounts given

Um, I agree with Jeana that this sounds like a whole lot of food. One tablespoon for 10 fish might be OK, but that amount several times a day? Yikes.

The water is always clean and crystal clear.

You can't know that if you're not testing. Water can look "clean and crystal clear" and still have outrageous levels or ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. I suspect that at least one of these is too high in your tank based upon the amounts you're feeding and your water changing regime.

One tablespoon times 10 fish times 5 times a day is 1/2 a tablespoon for each fish per day. I think that sounds like a LOT. I give my four probably less than a teaspoon per day, divided among four fish and two feedings and they are growing great. Even with that amount I need to do weekly water changes to keep the nitrates in check.