Sign in to follow this  
pandamanda111

Do you think my goldies miss their gravel?

Sorry I post so often, but I recently removed the grave in my tank, so now its barebottom. It looks pretty, and I love how easy it is to clean!!! However, I am starting to feel kinda guilty for removing the gravel that my fishies enjoyed playing with so much. They were always picking it up and having a bunch of fun!!! Do you think they miss it? It it mean to not have some form of entertainment in there. Is there any kind of home-made toy or something that my fish might enjoy?:) thanks!:)

-Mandie

Edited by pandamanda111

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a bare bottom tank... my goldfish personally don't seem to care one way or the other if there is substrate or not (I know others have said they saw an increase in activity with substrate, I did not, but my fish are weird so who knows).

You can always sprinkle a few pieces of gravel in the tank for them to dig through if you are concerned (or things like those glass pebbles work well too). This way there is still a little bit of substrate for them to move around, but your tank is still easy to clean etc. I think the barebottom is particularly good in your case because you are overstocked at this point, which means waste builds up faster in the tank and gravel takes away from water volume. Here is a pic to show you what I mean about sprinkling some rocks/gravel/pebbles (whatever) on the tank floor. My fish seemed just as happy with this light sprinkling as they did with the moon sand when I had it :)

IMG_0022.jpg

I think Night Fury would probably start a riot if I took away his gravel. :rofl:

I bet your fish will get used to it, Mandie. :) Maybe you could put some of the gravel in a little container and keep it in there for them to pick at. That way they have some, but it's not all over, KWIM?

I have little glass pebbles in my tank, but they r much too big for my fish to pick up...koko is posting some pictures of my tank to my other post about Ernie's spots, so check there in a few hrs and maybe she will have posted them:)

I love my barebottom, but I wish there was a way to keep the fishies entertained without gravel...is there such thing as a fish toy? Lol

I think Night Fury would probably start a riot if I took away his gravel. :rofl:

I bet your fish will get used to it, Mandie. :) Maybe you could put some of the gravel in a little container and keep it in there for them to pick at. That way they have some, but it's not all over, KWIM?

OMIGOD. That is beyond brilliant. maybe I'll try that for a few days til they get used to no gravel...

OMIGOD. That is beyond brilliant. maybe I'll try that for a few days til they get used to no gravel...

Of course, in no time at all, the gravel in the container will spread all over the tank :rofl

Tithra's idea is an excellent one. Just have a smattering of rocks gravels of different sizes on the tank floor. As long as it's not completely bare, they'll adjust and be just as happy looking around. Remember, you'll be getting a 30 gallon at some point soon, so this is just a test run, and removing gravel gives you more water in the tank and helps to keep things cleaner :)

I agree, I have a sprinkle of gravel in mine and then a few small river rocks here and there. It's enough for them to push around and play with, but not enough for bad bacteria to grow in.

Yes, the gravel from the container will be found all over the tank in no time, but you can easily put it back in during a water change :)

hmmm...im gonna find a shallow glass bowl and put some gravel in it for them to play with like i saw somebody suggested on a different thread:) ill go see if i have one...

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a bare bottom tank... my goldfish personally don't seem to care one way or the other if there is substrate or not (I know others have said they saw an increase in activity with substrate, I did not, but my fish are weird so who knows).

You can always sprinkle a few pieces of gravel in the tank for them to dig through if you are concerned (or things like those glass pebbles work well too). This way there is still a little bit of substrate for them to move around, but your tank is still easy to clean etc. I think the barebottom is particularly good in your case because you are overstocked at this point, which means waste builds up faster in the tank and gravel takes away from water volume. Here is a pic to show you what I mean about sprinkling some rocks/gravel/pebbles (whatever) on the tank floor. My fish seemed just as happy with this light sprinkling as they did with the moon sand when I had it :)

IMG_0022.jpg

what size tank do you have?

Sorry I post so often, but I recently removed the grave in my tank, so now its barebottom. It looks pretty, and I love how easy it is to clean!!! However, I am starting to feel kinda guilty for removing the gravel that my fishies enjoyed playing with so much. They were always picking it up and having a bunch of fun!!! Do you think they miss it? It it mean to not have some form of entertainment in there. Is there any kind of home-made toy or something that my fish might enjoy? :) thanks! :)

-Mandie

oops...not grave! gravel!! forgot the L!