Sign in to follow this  
blinky000

Pink ramshorns for sale, Essex

Would they eat my plants?

Considering maybe one or two in with the betta.... could try with the goldies-to-be but when they grow they are likely to eat them....!

@ryukinfan - I started out with 10 in my 14 gal. I'd suggest about 15 to start with. You'll soon have more :)

@ninzah - They don't touch the plants but they will happily and very efficiently munch away any algae. Put some courgette in there and they'll love you forever ;) I actually bought them to keep my live plants clean and uneaten and they've been pristine ever since. I have two that would be too big to fit in even a large goldie's mouth but one is already spoken for. I can try you with one or two smaller ones as well as the larger one and if you think the small ones are too small, you can put them in with your betta :)

Sounds good :) wont be able to get them for a couple of weeks though, if that is okay? Thinking maybe March.

Here's a bit of a size comparison. I've got a 5p to the left, then is one of the larger snails who is just under half the size they grow up to be, then is the next size down and if you look very closely, there's a teeny tiny little spec. That spec belongs to devilduck :P

DSCF2959.jpg

And here's the second one in that photo munching the algae off my brazilian pennywort

DSCF2951.jpg

The flash of the camera makes their colours look a bit odd but in real like they look more like the original pic in the thread. That's the only in focus one I've managed to get without the flash :laugh:

Yeah, that's fine :)

I might have 5 off you in a little while if thats alright, I've got two golden apple snails but they are pretty lazy and haven't gone near the plants so far. If I get some, I'll only get a few to see if the goldies leave them alone!

They are sooo gorgeous if mailing them internationally wasn't such a big ordeal for them I'd love to get a handful.

Devilduck, I have two options for you. Would you rather have snaily soonish with a heat pad for an extra £1 or wait until the weather warms up a bit and have him for the regular price? I'm about to order some heat pads in since a shop has asked for a bulk order :)

I'd prefer to wait for the warmer weather I think - I'd worry about Speckie burning given how small he is, and drying out! He really is tiny :blink: Might have to keep him in a small 1 gallon tank until he gets a bit bigger or KB might make him breakfast!

More juveniles available now :)

Ooh forgot about this thread! I'd like 2 please, now that I'm cycled :D

Will send you a PM :)

My babies arrived safely! They are sooo adorable!

My head has been in the clouds these last few days with all the family stuff going on so totally forgotten all my research!

They are so tiny that I'd be too worried about them disappearing up the filter in the big tank. Not sure the Betta would take kindly to them right now. So, can they be kept in some kind of container for a while? Will they climb out the water? Is room temp water ok, 20-22C?

Panicking! Lol !

My bettas don't look twice at them. If you're worried about the filter, they'll be fine in a container for the time being but generally mine go in and out of the filter as they please. They don't come out of the water if they have a choice lol. I just check the filter for ones that have got too big to make their own way out every few weeks, they never get hurt in there :)

Great :) I'll try them out with the Betta tonight and keep a close eye on him. They are in litre containers with a small bit of cucumber to investigate. One has done some crawling about but the other has just poked his head out once or twice and not moved much. (unless he's rushing round madly every time my back is turned!!) :)

The only thing I advise is that you pop them on a leaf or ornament rather than dropping them in. The betta is more likely to mistake them for food if they fall through the water. A little nipping on the betta's part is normal. He'll soon figure out they're no fun and ignore them haha