Wow this is the worst goldfish info article ever. >:-(

pandamanda111

eek! :no: not only are they recommending a bowl with 20% weekly water changes... they recommend getting some "playmates" for the fish. This is exactly what I mean when I say that yes, people should definitely research a pet before they get it, but when there is all sorts of junk like this on the internet, it can be difficult for inexperienced individuals to wade through it to figure out what is good advice and what is not, and if the internet article you found meshes with what the pet store employee expert told you, then your conviction that what you are doing is the right thing will probably be pretty strong!

the sad thing is, someone like me even just a few months ago could have stumbled across this article and put five common goldfish in a bowl and then thought that their deaths were natural, that they are supposed to only live a couple of years. reading through the comments annoyed me - a lot of ignorant people are apparently very indignant about their fish-caring skills! just because their fish is still alive in a bowl, it means everyone upset by this article is wrong? :/

The only feasable way to ever stop goldfish being mistreated imo would be for every single LFS around the world to put the price of each fish up to about 30-40 dollars. This will never happen though as a lot of stores make quick easy money with the feeder fish trade. I think people on goldfish forums in 100 years time will still be reading stories like this :(

the sad thing is, someone like me even just a few months ago could have stumbled across this article and put five common goldfish in a bowl and then thought that their deaths were natural, that they are supposed to only live a couple of years. reading through the comments annoyed me - a lot of ignorant people are apparently very indignant about their fish-caring skills! just because their fish is still alive in a bowl, it means everyone upset by this article is wrong? :/

Exactly.

I explain to the people who keep goldfish in bowls this way "Like keeping a dog in a crate for its entire life" thats makes them think a little but most of them just go "eh, they cant even live for a year" :( and yesterday i was talking to this girl and she said she had a goldfish so i went "really how many gallons?" and she went "uhhhhh, hes in a bowl, duh" :(

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe these people have never lived in a small cramped studio apartment. It's sooo unhealthy.

He stayed about the same size--3-3 1/2". My best guess is that gf were stronger back then and now maybe they're too inbred or something--you know just so mass produced. He was a calico comet and only passed away cause I hadn't cleaned him for awhile and then did a 100% waterchange--it was more than he could take I guess. :( This was all like almost 20 years ago.