Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

Fish and Wen growth?

Yes, this is what I have

http://m.petco.com/Petco/product/detail.do?itemId=1309846&categoryId=&path=

It allows me to hook tubing directly to it to the sink to empty. These days, I only use the water changing system most to fill up the water and to do gravel vacuuming. I feel better not wasting all that water to drain the tank :)

I do not use the stupid sink adapter though(always clogs) so essentially i have an extra long siphon.

:goodpost:BTT

:goodpost:BTT

Sorry koko :) Got to get it back on topic. Anyway big studly fish need big frequent water changes. Little unfrequent water changes = wimpy stunted fish. No way around it. Just as an example i have been growing out a group of juvi discus for about a month now. I have done 90% water changes 2 times a day for the last month and they have grown a full inch! When i got them they were 1 1/2"-2" today they are 2 1/2"- 3" (I put them on a tape measure)

Thanks everyone! I have certainly learned a bit here:-)

Okay, I know this was not part of my original question, but since it was brought up. . .

I am very curious about these water changers y'all were talking about! Right now I use buckets. I have a couple of hose siphons that vacuum the water and yucky stuff down in the gravel. Then I dump the water (in my garden if I can -so good for my veggies!), then I refill the bucket with clean water, add my water conditioners and such, and let it sit for a little while so everything has a chance to mix in and work properly. Obviously, this takes up a good deal of time. With a pump and sink hose thing, how would it work to add the conditioners? Would I just add them directly to the tank? Should I take out my goldfish while doing the water change? Usually, my fish just stays in the tank, unless I am doing some serious cleaning. How long are the pump hoses? My sink is on the other side of the room from the tank, maybe 15-20 ft.

Thanks for the help and advice!

15-20 ft is perfect for the 25 foot changing system. :)

My goldfish stay in the tank while I do the WCs. Basically, I draw out all the water, leaving only enough to cover their dorsal fins. Then when I add the water back in, I add water conditioner (Prime) directly to the tank, in the amount enough to treat the entire tank.

15-20 ft is perfect for the 25 foot changing system. :)

My goldfish stay in the tank while I do the WCs. Basically, I draw out all the water, leaving only enough to cover their dorsal fins. Then when I add the water back in, I add water conditioner (Prime) directly to the tank, in the amount enough to treat the entire tank.

I was always under the impression that you should let the conditioner mix in well so it has time to do it's job. Will it not hurt the fish much to be in water that isn't fully conditioned for a little bit? How fast does water conditioner usually work?

The effects of the conditioners are near instantaneous. I and many others (those with the water changing systems) have been doing it this way for years, without any ill effects.

You'll be fine :)