local goldfish breeders

cathys

i'm trying to locate an oranda breeder. i'm tired of getting fish from the petstore.

does anyone know a breeder around st. louis mo ?

or how i can locate one ?

i only have one goldfish at this time and he/she is floaty i'm in process of the 3 day fast/3 day peas

i still have a lot to learn and this site seems overwhelming to me.

before you locate a breeder you need to rule out what you are doing incorrectly. goldfish are not easy fish to keep. please answer the following questions, your tank size, type of filtration, the amount of water changes you do weeklly, the type of food you are feeding, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph levels in your tank, the tank temperature, the type of goldfish you have. I mean no offense by implying that you are doing something incorrectly but before you purchase any new fish, please respond to the questions

I am finding out they are not easy. At this time I have a one 3 inch oranda in a 30 gal tank with a marineland bio wheel 350. I do a weekly water change of

20 to 30 %. I'm feeding hikari lionhead sinking pellets and omega one pellets. Occasionally bloodworms and rarely oranges. I see i should be feeding veggies

regularly and fruit occasionally. I have been soaking the food but wasn't at the beginning. I'm afraid i'm not feeding enough because i'm terrified of the swim bladder issue.

the larger hikari pellets i give only two pellets twice a day. the smaller omega ones i give 3 to 4 twice a day. :bye2: i need help.....oh...tank temp is 76. i only have some old test strips at this time so not sure how accurate they are but they read 0 for nitrates and nitrites,hard water 150,alkalinity 120 and ph 7.8. i don't have test for ammonia at this time.

I know this is so not the question you are asking at all, but after reading your post above I am just curious how long the tank has been running? (are you cycled? just wondering because you don't have a nitrate reading and if you are not cycled 20-30% water change a week will definitely not be sufficient, a 50-80% water change weekly is recommended for at cycled tank :)

And yes, goldies are SO not the 'easy' fish they are made out to be (but it looks like you are definitely on the right track and doing a lot of good things!)

Edited by tithra

thanks for the positive feedback. tank has been up for several months. i thought it was weird too that there wasn't a nitrate reading..like i said old test strips i'll have to get some more. i was just trying to figure out how to post a photo of my oranda but

i think i'm too new to post a photo. ? he seems better today since i did the fast and peas. i'd like to know if i'm feeding too much or too little as far as the pellets go for his size? and...what gorgeous fish you have !!!!

Oh thank you! :) They came from Rain Garden goldfish online (you should check them out if you haven't already... really fair prices for a breeder)

Hmmm... you may want to grab a drop test kit when you're able (API master test kit is great and has everything you need). The drop test kits are

generally more accurate than the strips, and it would be good to know for sure if you have any ammonia in the tank/if you are cycled :)

You should be able to post a photo. You need to make a photo bucket account to do it though here's a how to link: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95717-how-to-post-pics-photobucket/ I would love to see them!

We are so off topic here (lol), but a general rule of thumb for pellets is to feed an amount that is about as big as their eye (smaller for teles of course) and to feed small meals multiple times a day as opposed to one larger meal, which it sounds like you already do :) It is definitely hard to know for sure how much is too much or not enough, I struggle with it myself. And adding variety to the diet always helps too (sounds like you are doing that already!)

th_DSC00078.jpgth_DSC00083.jpgok they aren't the best pics but here are two of Bobby Racer :clapping: i'll get the drop test kit in the next couple days and post the results ! thanks for your help guys !

what a cute little guy. Raingarden has some nice fish. I really want to get some fish from them once i get moved. I currently have a few thousand fry from a few oranda spawns, but nothing ready to go. I hope some turn out good, but time will tell. anyways i would look at raingarden his shipping prices aren't bad either.

i just emailed rain garden i found a couple oranda i'm considering. not near as cute as EDIE though but

pretty darn cute ....longer bodies than her.

lol... ALL their orandas are adorable!

We had a discussion on here recently about the longer bodied orandas that Steve has been breeding. They really have some unique colorings and the longer body may make them less prone to the swim bladder issues that are not uncommon in the deeper bodied goldfish.

That's very exciting! Keep us updated! (he even allowed me to put mine on hold for about a month or so because my tank wasn't done cycling but I really wanted these two).

EDIT: out of curiosity which numbers are you looking at?

Edited by tithra

tithra 7830 i wanted but went back today and it was gone! anyway #s 7828 and 7837

but they are probably gone ...because ...I ORDERED THEM !!! YEah....they'll be here next friday. :)santa merry christmas to me !

Steve was very helpful. He said if I feed Hikari Pellets i'm feeding better pellets than him.

He also said the best thing is to have plants for them to nibble on all day...destroys the plants

but helps the fish. So the secret seems to be veggies...just like people ! and of course good

water quality, light big enough tank....

keep you posted ....gotta get the drop tester kit asap !!!

Yay! They are both adorable!! I love the markings on these orandas, they are very unique. My fish have never touched a plant in my aquarium! Not even the anacharis or moss! I always thought that if I had to go away for a week I'd just leave them some plants, but I'm pretty sure they'd starve :D

now i'm really confused ...talked to steve at raingarden who said to not soak the pellets because that leaches out the nutrients.

he said to feed what they will eat in 5 minutes once a day and the rest of the day only plants and veg to pick at. he makes it sound

easy and i know it isn't

Steve said duckweed was a good nutricious plant for them but it does float on

top and block the light.

! i can't believe how excited i am about getting these fish :carrot: .and i almost didn't get 7828 because another person emailed him same time i did.

he said whoever paid first. needless to say i wasted no time! i found out they are both boys/brothers a year and half old. can't believe the one is

an inch longer in the body than the other one!

setting up a quarantine tank now. going to steel 1/2 the filter media out of my two tanks to get the cycle going in the quaratine tank.

Hmmm... that is interesting. I would maybe suggest starting a new post in the food section to ask about what Steve said so that you can get input from others (hate to start a super off topic discussion here ;) ). I have always been under the impression that soaking the pellets was better for them because they expand so much (and you don't want that happening in their digestive tract), I would imagine that if you soak them too long nutrients would certainly leach out, but I only do 2-3 min for my pellets. I would be curious what others say about this.

EDIT: if you are setting up the QT tank now, make sure you feed it some pure ammonia to keep your BB's alive, they don't live a super long time without ammonia :)

Edited by tithra

i'd still like to know if there are local breeders but for now i won't be acquiring more.

thanks. will post on food portion as this has gotten away from "local breeders".