Sign in to follow this  
Goldfish_Guppies_Mollies

should i put an heater ?

It really depends on how cold your water is without one. Goldies like cooler water. But colder than 60/16 C can cause problems because their digestion stops working well. I have kept my fish without a heater until this year. The water was always 68 degrees / 20 C. This winter in my new house, it's much colder, so I added a heater. Now the water is 70 or 72 (21 or 22) and the fish seem to be more active.

I know that others keep their goldies in much warmer water, but this seems to work for me.

Good luck!

mj

I like to keep my Goldfish tanks at 74 they seem more active and I worry less about ich ;)

If your temperature is cool, but relatively stable, you don't need to worry. Daily fluctuations similar to day and night time temperatures are normally fine also. Like if the water cools off 2 or 3 degree at night, but then warms up again over the day.

Since they are cold blooded, fish will have a higher metabolic rate at higher temperatures. Accordingly, they will be more active when it's warmer -- at least until the temperature is so hot as to be harmful. They will also eat more and produce more waste. Other organisms in the tank, whether beneficial, neutral, undesirable, or harmful, will also grow faster at warmer temperatures.

If your tank changes to much you need one. I keep them heated also cause, he keeps the stable and less prone to becoming sick. just something to think about.