Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schweigert

Anal Fin Mutation?

Guest Schweigert

Not sure if this is normal or not. I just brought home my new friend, Gwaedwin. He is a Fantail goldfish about 1" in size. To my dismay I found his Anal fin overlapping his caudal fin on one side, while both his caudal fins aren't separated. I'm thinking to myself.. Is this normal? Perhaps as he grows his back fin structure will be more normal..? Any advice on this would be fantastic! Thanks everyone for reading my post.

Edited by Schweigert

Um...can you take a pic? I'm not too sure I understand what you mean.

id like to see a pic of this. sounds interesting :s never heard of such a "mutation"

You mean that the anal fin sticks out over the tail? That is just a 'flaw'. I have seen some fish with it :) Same with the non detached tail.

Fancy goldfish have pretty messed up genetics - and sometimes you get throwbacks to the single-tail shape - with fused tails. The curled fins are just another genetic 'defect', and they're only really classed as a defect because they don't fit show standards, if it doesn't impede your fish's swimming, it's not a problem. It might even out a little bit as he grows, but there'll probably always be some curling and the tail will stay fused, it's just the way he's built! Think of it as charming quirks ;)

about 50% of the goldfish i've had, have had deformed anal fins, its not a big deal

I would like to see a pic of this too ;) One of my new tele's has a weird tail fin as well looks like he's waving "Hi" lol

I know what you mean. In fact, my best butterfly had this problem with the anal fin too. All his fins were perfect, except that one anal fin had this annoying tendency to stick out over the caudal fin. It was a little bothersome, but he got along just fine and was still a beautiful fish. I also had another butterfly with fused caudals. Again, it's just a slight fault that only matters if you're showing or breeding the fish, and she got along just fine as well.

Guest Schweigert

Sorry for the wait everyone!.. Unfortunately I do no have a camera with enough quality to capture this phenomenon. I did however draw a picture... :-)

Goldfish.png

As you can see, his anal fin overlaps the split caudal fin. So this is just a genetics problem..? And he may or may not grow out of it..? :o

mutation.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So you are saying that his anal fin sticks on the outside of the caudal fin? Are there dual or single anal? Is it like this on both sides?

Guest Schweigert

Boboda-

Its a single Anal fin from the looks of it, and it is a dual caudal fin; which is being compressed shut by the mutation/deformation. Yes; the anal fin is grown horizontally along the caudal fin, almost as a third small caudal.

Ok I think I'm getting the picture here. I have to go look at wild carp and koi to see if the anal caudal fusing is a reversion of genetics or if it's just a fluke. Well I don't HAVE to I'm just intrigued now lol.

He won't grow out of it. Generally what I've heard from people who breed goldfish is that a small flaw on a small fish will become a large flaw on a large fish. It's not like it will cause any problems for your fish though. :)

Like Sakura said, this will stay. BUT it is no problem for the fish. These are flaws that non-mass-breeders usually look for and cull as fry. It's simply not as "pretty" as they "should" be. :)