Torn fins :(

vwashbur

This morning I woke up to Marley having a decent chunk missing from the right side of her caudal fin. I thought she might have gotten it caught on the air wand and didn't salt and covered the wand with more sand. I was gone the majority of the day today and when I just got back her left side of her caudal fin was split about 1/4 of the way up. I'm not sure what's going on and wanted some opinions.

I checked the water parameters thinking maybe something went haywire but everything is fine. Then I thought I might have breeding behavior since I've heard of people's females getting roughed up a bit. I'm fairly certain I have 2 girls and a boy (Marley being one of the assumed girls), but it's not proven. I just assume based on their vents. But then I thought I would've seen it going on.

I'm thinking of salting the tank to 0.1% to see if it heals it up, but I just wanted some back up. Could there be something I'm missing? I don't want to wake up tomorrow to her even more shredded. :(

Here's my test results too...

Thanks guys :)

Edit: I forgot to add that she's behaving as if nothing is wrong. She ate just fine and swims around just fine. :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level 5 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master
  • * Water temperature? 78
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallon, 7 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland 250 gph, Aqueon 100 gph
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 5 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 60% on 12/6/11
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3; 2 are about 3 inches including tail, 1 about 3.75 inches including tail
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? peas, Spectrum Thera A Formula, zucchini
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
    • * Any medications added to the tank? no
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt for torn fins and ich; treatment lasted about 1 week each time
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Torn fins.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None

Edited by vwashbur

hey alex,

i can def get one when i get home from work. until then it basically looks like a trapezoid was cute out of her right side fun about 1/4'' long and the other side is like someone tore paper (without the ragged edges) and it's about 1/2 " now. But i didnt see any new torn fins this morning which is good

ok, I just got back home from work. No further damage, thankfully :)

I'm uploading a video to photobucket right now and starting to do a water change. Ill post back as soon as the video is uploaded and see what you guys think