Lethargic oranda, sometimes lying on his side

Batto

ARKI IN QT (in the last 24 hours I have discovered that Arki is a SHE not a HE thanks Stakos)

Picture2091.jpg

Big sore chunk on her right hand side

Picture2100.jpg

Left hand side gradually getting worse

Picture2025.jpg

Just gave her medicated food 20 mins ago noticed she perked up a bit

Should have started food last night but was unsure :(

I hope my delay wont be the death of her, I have noticed a couple of puffy looking scales :no:

Edited by salvo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i am wondering if it's a good move to put metro in the water? i think both metro and mela can be used together? i've never done it before. salvo has 8 x 200mg tablets at hand. in a 10 gal, i use 400mg, in the 5 gal, she only needs to crush 1 tab per application. if she keeps an eye on the params, perhaps she can do bi-daily wc's?

ie, beginning of every second day, squirt some prime into the 5 gal incase of ammonia buildup.

I think the Metro in the water is really good idea, but we may not need to expend value med that way necessarily. What do you think about this proposal:

- continue with Melafix in the water + Metro-gel feedings

- on top of that we do 3 1.5% salt dips every other day - the idea with this is just to cauterize the external wounds, get rid of whatever bacteria/parasite that may be hanging around.

I'm prepared to do a salt dip, you guys have to run me through step by step. (after all I'm only a fry and not too bright :)) )

I think the treatment so far is effective, there's improvement in her behavior.

Just did a 75% water change, and added Metafix she loves gobbling that gel food down

Thanks guys x

Thanks dnalex, yes I do suspect a slight improvement on that back wound, less redness, she still has a few bumps and pimples but nothing like they were a few days ago, less ooze.

She does looks rather contorted in her shape, and I'm anxious about a 2 puffy pinecone looking scales

She's swimming a lot more, moving those cute fins

Couldn't I pull her out of the tank and and concentrate on treating that nasty wound or would a overall salt dip be less stressful?

Edited by salvo

I think she's pine coning slightly :unsure:

Dnalex the water is showing slight traces of ammonia, I've already done a 75% water change today, is it essential that the water is 0 ammonia at all times?

Edited by salvo

Oh, no :(

I think that was part of the reason why Helen offered the metro-food and tablets - the anchor worms caused two many wounds, and so the risk of secondary infections are very high. I hope the Metro+Melafix will do what they need to do. If there is some pineconing, then salt dips are not recommended at this point. Is it possible for you to take some top view pics to show the pineconing?

What conditioner are you using? How much ammonia are you seeing? What is your tank pH? If you are using Prime, you can add another dose of Prime, and you should be OK for today.

Only slight traces of ammonia, I use the API colour cards the reading is between 0-0.25 (in between yellow and light green)

What's the deal with PH readings!! , 1st reading off the chart, 2nd reading around 7.4, 3rd reading 8.2

I'm only using prime as conditioner.

Will try to get a pic asap!

I have both but use the high range ph test

Picture2115.jpg

Picture2119.jpg

It is isn't it :no:?................. left hand side

• Supporter

hun yes, unfortunately she's pineconing and has puffed up :(

do you have epsom salt at hand? keep feeding the metro gelfood. we discussed halving the cube, then cutting half of that cube into 3 pieces and feeding 3 x per day. i want you to increase that to 6 times per day, i know it's difficult with work hun, but if you can manage 4 or 5 feeds minimum, that will be best.

epsom salt you will need to use immediately, do you have any?

:cry

No Epsom salts, I'm gonna call the 7/11 around the corner see if they have some

I was intending to go into the pet shop tomorrow to get a heater, the heater is necessary?

I fed her about 2 hours ago I guess it's ok to give her another feed now?

No epsom salt at 7/11 at car is at boyfriends place!!!!!!! :no:

I've plenty of rock salt, but no good without the heater right?

• Supporter

yes, go to the 7/11 and see if they have any.. they should.. do not buy an alternative. it must be epsom salt. heater is necessary as we need to increase the motabolism of the fish in order for the medications to be digested as quickly as possible. it also assists the epsom to work faster.

the epsom will reduce the swelling within 2-3 days. you will need to leave the epsom in there for a minimun 4-5 days but not exceeding 8 days.

grab the epsom tonight. the dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. she's in a 5 gallon tank, so halve that dose. the epsom needs to be diluted.. so over the stove in a pot with some tank water stirring until it dissolves.

yes, it's a tiny amount of salt, but it's the only salt that will reduce the swelling and it's very effective. keep feeding her as often as you can. she needs the meds moreso now than ever before.

No epsom salt at 7/11 at car is at boyfriends place!!!!!!! :no:

I've plenty of rock salt, but no good without the heater right?

rock salt will not reduce swelling. it will most likely add to it.i it will have to wait for the morning :(

how close i was to sending you off with some epsom on friday :( gawd, i could kick myself now :(