Lethargic oranda, sometimes lying on his side

Batto

Ok regarding the quarantine tank

I have a spare (approx 12 gallon tank).

When you mean quarantine I'm putting both fish in the tank and I'm adding fresh water. I assume I'm doing daily water changes because the tank will be un cycled?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

so, tomorrow morning, i will go to get the Prime i need and the melafix for you. tomorrow evening, we will meet at my place so you can collect the medicated food and the melafix. you may also meet my fish :rofl

• Supporter

Ok regarding the quarantine tank

I have a spare (approx 12 gallon tank).

When you mean quarantine I'm putting both fish in the tank and I'm adding fresh water. I assume I'm doing daily water changes because the tank will be un cycled?

are both fish sick or just the one? and, you can part with some filter media from your main tank to the QT to give it an instant cycle. i will show you how to do that when you get here.

Hey thanks, I think I'll need to treat both I did see a small pimple on my other fish a few weeks ago but so far he has been clear of pimples.

Will talk more tomorrow, looking forward to meeting your gang

Planning on setting up QT tank first thing tomorrow morning, will I need a filter? or will air stone and water changes be sufficient??

• Supporter

do you think you can upload a short video of the pimples, ie, get as close as you can to them, i want to see their shape and how they are formed under their scales. still images aren't doing all that much for me, is that possible? if you can't upload it, can you bring it with you tomorrow?

Hey guys,

Setting up QT, I've filled it up with water to check for leaks (2nd hand tank I got from work) it contained blue gravel which I have removed, the blue gravel seems to have strained the silicon and gives a bluey tinge to the water I want to be certain that the tank is pristine, and this won't affect my fish.

What do we think, should I be concerned?

I plan to give it a good scrub with vinegar and leave it in the sun to dry b4 I meet with Stakos this evening.

• Supporter

hun, i thought you were going to treat both fish? if you are, there is no need for the qt as you have only 40 gallons in the main tank, the qt is too small for the two fish, i would just leave them in the main tank and treat there.

I think it should be fine. Have fun meeting Stakos! I'm glad you guys are able to meet up.

Edit: yup. I forgot you are treating both fish, so it's better to treat them in the tank as Helen suggested.

Edited by dnalex

Duh! :lol

yeah treat them both in the same tank

Oh well spare tank is clean and sparkling

Got a video for you Stakos, hope this can give you a better idea of what's going on however there are NO PIMPLES today on Arki! :hummm

See you soon

• Supporter

ok.. i return with the melafix and a few other things. i would like you also to take a video of your tank's set up.. filters aswell... i want to see behaviour of both fish including sore spots..

tank, show me gravel, ornaments, plants etc. you don't need to upload it (hides from other members :donthit: ) just bring it along with you later so i can see it.

i'm off to the warehouse now, see you later this evening.

Thank you to the lovely and most knowledgeable Helen! :heart

After leaving her place I found myself trudging across the city on public transport with

a tank

an esky of medicated food,

a head full of information on treating gold fish bacterial infections 101

and various other fish goodies

I couldn't stop laughing and smiling :D on my way home it was indeed the most unexpected and informative Friday night I've had in a LONG TIME

The decision is to only treat the Ranchu as I think my Oranda is probably ok and I don't want to put him through unnecessary medication

I've cleaned the quarantine tank with vinegar, it has a small sponge filter I will take some sponge from my main tank to help it cycle.

However I am confused slightly I plan on taking some water from the main tank to help cycle the QT tank however do I use some of the water that is in the main tank now? (still has salt and anti para- medication in it)

or

do I do a big 80-100% water change first on the main tank and then take water from it to put into the QT tank?

I'm in for a long night, I'm wagging work tomorrow cause I know I'll be up all night attending fish duties and will need to sleep it off tomorrow

I just tested the water

Amonia 0

Nitites 0

Nitrates 5.0-10

Ph 7.4

Just need confirmation before I go ahead don't, just wanna do it right

Thanking you in advance

Edited by salvo

I just set up my first QT, added Metafix, and my fish Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo :nana

He looks so huge in that tiny tank however so far so good, he's gulping mid tank maybe a bit in shock? added an air stone.

I also did a 60% water change on the main tank, and oranda is swimming against the filter stream so this is a sign he's very happy (I wonder if he knows ranchu is missing? obviously not)

Added the coral and carbon back in the filter.

It's 5.30am in the Morning!!! :o time for bed.

QT is showing slight traces of ammonia a very slight green tinge on the ammonia colour card somewhere between 0-0.25

I'm used API Melafix 8 hours ago, I plan to do a water 75% WC to get rid of the ammonia

Do I add a 25% less Melafix this time to compensate for Melafix that is in the tank?

This makes sense to me however my brain it hurty

Edited by salvo

QT is showing slight traces of ammonia a very slight green tinge on the ammonia colour card somewhere between 0-0.25

I'm used API Melafix 8 hours ago, I plan to do a water 75% WC to get rid of the ammonia

Do I add a 25% less Melafix this time to compensate for Melafix that is in the tank?

Yes :)