Lethargic oranda, sometimes lying on his side

Batto

It's been 3 days since I treated the tank.

The "pimples" are less frequent now, the head of the pimples are still white but I'm not seeing any worms come out.

The wound on the base of his tail is also looking better also.

Will treat the tank again in a couple of days and add salt.

:thanks for your advice dnalex, I'll keep you updated.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! Did you end up picking off any of the anchor worms? I still remember the first time I've had to do it. It was unpleasant but oddly interesting at the same time lol

No dnalex, didn't pick off any of the worms because I didn't feel very confident.

I'm gonna do a 25% water change today and add more medication. I've been slowly removing the gravel over the last few months and there's only a bit left now, so hopefully I'll be able to remove any eggs. I've noticed a small red spot now under my oranda's chin that wasn't there a week ago, I'm hoping this this will clear.

My fish appear incredibly lively I haven't seen them with this much energy since I first got them 10 months ago, it's appears to be "happy energy" not flashing.

Perhaps they've both been harboring parasites all this time, :o

Thanks again x

Unfortunately, they probably have. It takes months for the anchor worm to come out. I'm glad you are taking such great care of them.

Pay attention to that red spot under the chin. Is there salt in the water?

Added the repeat medication today now I'm just waiting for the dissolved salt to cool.

37 teaspoons of rock salt for a 37 gallon tank - correct?

Red spot under Oranda's chin has disappeared however they're pooping white not the usual brownish colour.

Hopefully the salt will help the Ranchu's wound.

Yeah I did about 35 teaspoons to be on the safe side, cheers.

Mr Boff head has a long white stringy poop hanging from his backside :no:

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Ph 7.4

Maybe they are stressed from the medication?

Should I be concerned?

Woke up to a find a 2 large pimples on my ranchu, what comes out doesn't look like a worm tho, just short thick white puss, my oranda has been virtually free of anchor worm apart from small one on his head a week ago.

Oranda's top fin is a bit flat when he swims but otherwise they both appear to be doing ok

Appetites are healthy, I fed them pellets soaked in garlic overnight this morning.

In your experience dnalex how long does anchor worm take to clear up?

It's summer here in Australia and we've been having some very hot-very hot days 30-35 degrees. I assume anchor worm likes warm conditions.

Anyway will continue to keep a very close eye on them both.

Thanks

Edited by salvo

Hey Koko couldn't really see the bump unfortunately.

They are very similar to human pimples in the way they form, some are big some a very small, first there's a bump then it comes to a white head and then steady puss comes out, sometimes one pimple can ooze several times a day. Sometimes a tiny white hairlike fiber comes out between his scales not from a pimple.

I wish I could get a photo/video, I have been trying but the pimples just doesn't show up.

The symptoms are very hook worm, but the white puss coming out of my oranda looks nothing like the hooks worms I've seen on the net.

He has a wound near the base of his tail, it appears to be getting no worse or better but it does concern me.

Maybe it isn't hook worm?? :no:

The symptoms are very hook worm, but the white puss coming out of my oranda looks nothing like the hooks worms I've seen on the net.

He has a wound near the base of his tail, it appears to be getting no worse or better but it does concern me.

Maybe it isn't hook worm?? :no:

Oh sorry I'm getting my worms confused I meant to write anchor worms

Thanks Dnalex you're right what else can I do that I haven't already done

Edited by salvo

• Supporter

i hear you're having problems posting pics? can you do a video and try to get up close so the bumps can be clearly seen in the vid?

which State are you in?

it would be good if you can post the water params again.. ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and PH.

My lovely golden ranchu "Arki" pimple shown on left side near gill

Picture1991.jpg

Hey Stakos, thanks I got it worked out, I live in Melbourne.

Will provide water tests in next post.

So tomorrow I would have had the tank medicated for 10 days (as directed) and it doesn't seem to be helping :( my fish are still eating and lively but the wounds are spreading to the other side on my oranda's tail now. It's like there's 2 things going on with him, the pimples and some "eating away" on the base of his tail.

They are still swimming well and appetite hasn't changed so that's a positive! I've just got to get to the bottom of this, it's driving me nuts! Any suggestions where to go from here, immensenly appreciated! Hoping these pics will provide some insight (they took my ages).

Notice the red blemishes on either side of pimple

Picture1992.jpg

He's losing a lot of scales on the back at the curve of his spine

Picture2001.jpg

You may be able to see another pimple on the back right near his tail

Picture1998.jpg

Not the best pic (this is what concerns me the most) very sore looking wounds on the base of his tail, this started off being only on the right side but it is now starting on the left side in the same place

Picture2000.jpg

Notice my oranda in the back ground, he became a bit sad looking and his fin is not so perky since I salted the tank

Picture1993.jpg

My Oranda Mr Boff Head, again sad looking (I think he's always had a split fin?) Suspicious white spot has appeared on his tail in the last week :no:

Picture1994.jpg

Arki is saying "Please help us" :cry

Picture1988.jpg

No not far South Caulfield

Edited by salvo

• Supporter

ok.. alex and i have been discussing this situation. we believe a good approach since your fish is showing signs of red patches and pimples that we're looking at a possible or most likely bacterial problem.

we are content in suggesting the following treatment. but, you fish must be set up in a suitable QT. now a suitable QT needs to be 10 gallons or, with daily water changes 7-10 gallons.

we are recommending the following apporach. Melafix at half dose initially and the feed of medicated gelfood. i recently made a batch of gelfood for my fish and still have it frozen. it is yet to expire. i am offering this medicated food to you to feed to your sick fish. the food has Metronidazole in it. it is the active ingredient in MetroMeds and JungleAP.

we need to get this food to your fish as soon as you can. lets exchange details here: sparez@bigpond.net.au

thoughts?

Hey thanks guys :D:heart :heart :heart

I was starting to believe it to be a bacterial problem.

Ok any suggestions in Melbourne where I can get melafix?

I have 2 spare tanks both about 10-12 gallons.

I'll be emailing you shorty.

• Supporter

i am in need of buying prime tomorrow so i will be going to my supplier's in richmond.. i can pick some melafix up for you if you're stretched for time during business hours.. then afterhours if you like, we can meet for the medfood and the gel. prolly better when the sun's down and tomorrow is not warm at all.. it's gotta stay frozen.