Azoo Battery backup pump?

tithra

I am trying to get prepared for the possibility of winter storms knocking out our power and am looking to get a good battery operated air pump.

Wondering if anyone has ever used this one (Azoo battery backup pump) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120

or if you guys had other recommendations on brands?

yeah, I'm going to go ahead and assume that they all will be noisy! :) I just want one that will work reliably and have a decent battery life, as the power has been known to go out for a day or two at a time.

• Admin

The 1s I have are closer to this: http://www.drsfoster...693&pcatid=3693

I've really been thinking about getting a generator-that seems like the most peace of mind to me.

Thats the one I have...

WHOOT TD said maybe later I can get one of those..."Azoo battery backup pump" like you mentioned "

tithra"

This is something I've not thought about and is included in their tips:

Tips from our Techs

When the filters are not running due to a power outage, it is wise to place your airstones at the top of the aquarium. Under normal conditions, any organic material that is stirred up by airstones placed on the bottom is properly filtered. Placing your airstones at the top of your aquarium during a power outage ensure toxic organic wastes on the bottom are not stirred up and mixed within the aquarium.

hmm.. that is an interesting tip susan, I would not have thought of that!

How long do you think the less expensive one runs that you have? They don't say in the description, but they say the more expensive one goes up to 20 hrs.

Also, have you looked into generators? I would be interested in that, but I'm not sure I could afford it and I wouldn't even know where to start looking!

I am going to look on the Home Depot web page.A friend told me she got 1 for $100.00-and that's just $20.00 more than the more expensive Azoo. We've only had 1 power outage of late,and that was about 8 hrs-and I used these-http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=battery+aquarium+pump&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=789&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5183153686507279347&sa=X&ei=_rjjTrqlK6aXiQKSwZGuBg&ved=0CIQBEPICMAA

I was short on batteries,and LUCKILY these guys turned out to be able to run on just 1 battery-but I don't know how long they would have lasted. If you buy enough batteries-it shouldn't matter-I went and bought a case load the following day!

This is something I've not thought about and is included in their tips:

Tips from our Techs

When the filters are not running due to a power outage, it is wise to place your airstones at the top of the aquarium. Under normal conditions, any organic material that is stirred up by airstones placed on the bottom is properly filtered. Placing your airstones at the top of your aquarium during a power outage ensure toxic organic wastes on the bottom are not stirred up and mixed within the aquarium.

They must not think about goldfish. No matter the air stone, the fish will stir everything up themselves :rofl

Part of me likes the idea of the pump that can be plugged in and then runs on batteries when the power goes out because although I would not use it all the time, I would trade out my whisper pump for the backup one if I went out of town for the weekend or something... that way at least if the power went out while I was away the battery back up would kick in. hmmm...

Will you keep us updated if you buy a generator? I would love to learn more about them... I honestly just don't even really understand how they work!

lol Fang, this is true!

LOL<I didn't say I understood them! They run on gas-H/D has 1 that runs on propane,but it's $300.00. The other bad thing is that I would have to keep it IN my apt. b/c my garage has an electric door and I can't get into it when the power goes out! :krazy:

• Admin

I used the little one for moving from CA to OR took TD and I 21 hours to drive and then about 3 more hours to get them into a tank.... So it lasted more than 24 hours, I replaced the batteries once I got to OR so that would have been about 18 hours :thumb:

Part of me likes the idea of the pump that can be plugged in and then runs on batteries when the power goes out because although I would not use it all the time, I would trade out my whisper pump for the backup one if I went out of town for the weekend or something... that way at least if the power went out while I was away the battery back up would kick in. hmmm...

Will you keep us updated if you buy a generator? I would love to learn more about them... I honestly just don't even really understand how they work!

lol Fang, this is true!

Yes, I have a backup pump like this and it has worked. The power went out on my pleco tank when I wasn't there and my battery pump automatically turned on. This back up pump is called a Pen Plax B10

I have another larger back up pump for my synodontis tank, called aquapod. I would like to get one more backup pump eventually for the goldfish.

I just use these for my tanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPower+-+625VA+Battery+Back-Up+System/9926091.p?id=1218196445055&skuId=9926091&st=battery%20backup&cp=1&lp=5

One side is outlet only, and the other side is outlet + battery. I just keep the essential things plugged into the battery side in case of a power outage. It's great because if you're away from home when the power goes out, the battery automatically kicks in and everything essential will keep functioning like it should. If you have a whole bunch of things plugged into the battery side, it doesn't last that long, but I just have the air pump and the water pump (to run the sump filter) plugged in to them, and the battery lasts for a good while. :)

• 1 year later...

I just use these for my tanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPower+-+625VA+Battery+Back-Up+System/9926091.p?id=1218196445055&skuId=9926091&st=battery%20backup&cp=1&lp=5

One side is outlet only, and the other side is outlet + battery. I just keep the essential things plugged into the battery side in case of a power outage. It's great because if you're away from home when the power goes out, the battery automatically kicks in and everything essential will keep functioning like it should. If you have a whole bunch of things plugged into the battery side, it doesn't last that long, but I just have the air pump and the water pump (to run the sump filter) plugged in to them, and the battery lasts for a good while. :)

im currious about this too, i looked at the link but they didnt seem to have the most important info, what type of battery is in it? is it replacable or does it charge when plugged in? and how long does it last running an airpump or air and filter?

i found an Azoo battery pump on ebay for like $12. new. the seller claims that when he tested one with cheap dollar store batteries he got 24.5 hours out of it when he was just beginning to loose power, and then when he put good energizer batteries in it he got 90 hours before beginning to loose power.

im in the market too, and so far that sounds like the best one to me if you buy the "good" batteries,

most of the others will only boast 24 or 48 hrs from the ads ive read, and one i saw only took one D battery instead of 2, so i would think one battery wouldnt last as long as 2..

i'm trying to find something that will last about 3-4 days to move my 2 lionheads to FL. i think im gona rig the inside of the container with an internal filter and plug them in at night in the motels and do lots of water changes. and not feed them. or i also considered trying to make some type of air powered bio filter for the container. they survived 4 days in the mail in bags when i got them when they were babies so i am optimistic.

Is that not as UPS for a computer/server to be plugged into incase of a power outage? I think alot of them only run for about 15mins tops to let you safe close down the computer/server.. ??

Edited by FlipsHere